Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning mostly American cars for years, and then buying a DieselGate VW Passat TDI, I finally bought my first KIA, a Nero 2019 PHEV.

Any tips I should know? Got the car just about 7100 miles on it in like-new condition (the plastic film was still over the interior lights!)

She drives great, and I'm seeing great MPG.

Only concern I have is a weird noise it makes when I apply the brakes, though perhaps this is normal as part of the hybrid braking?

Anyway, glad to see there is a community for the car :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have followed a similar path to my own. While most of my previous cars were US or German, and I too had a Passat TDI I sold back to VW, I did have a Subaru Outback just before switching to the PHEV Niro.

Driving a PHEV can be done by driving it just the same as any hybrid, which means leaving it in normal mode and just drive. You can also make a few changes to your driving, and save battery power for places it's more economical. Keep it plugged in whenever possible and you can get some fantastic miles per tank, especially in summer when the engine isn't needed for heat. Also you will learn just how fast you can accelerate without the engine firing up (in general, as long as the power meter stays in the green area, but there are exceptions), and it can become a game to see how far you can go. The car is EPA rated at 26 EV miles with the A/C off, but the best I've done is 34 miles with A/C. During the summer I've driven 1500 miles before adding gas, and that was only because I had some fuel points to use up, as I still had a half tank!

You can save battery in two ways: one is to engage Hybrid mode, which is a button to the left of the shifter. This will roughly maintain the battery charge/range you have at the time you press the button. It will switch back to Eco (normal) mode if you stop and restart the car. The other way is to enter Sport Mode. You do this by moving the shifter to the left when it's in the D position. This sharpens up throttle response, puts the car in Hybrid mode, and will also run the engine the majority of the time in an attempt to add charge to the battery. It is possible to almost fully recharge the battery while in Sport mode if you drive far enough, but it's far more efficient to use a wall charger. You gas consumption will be higher in Sport mode compared to Hybrid mode, but the engine will still switch off under coasting and stopped conditions. Also, Sport mode does not shift the transmission like a normal automatic. It will eventually up and down shift, but it revs the engine far higher than necessary under normal driving, so you can manually shift the transmission by pressing the shift lever forward (upshift) or backwards (downshift).

The noise you are hearing is likely the regeneration in action. It has a touch of an electronic whine to it, but it simply means you're sending some power back into the battery, which extends your EV range. Depending on how hard you brake, the mechanical brakes might not even engage until you're almost stopped. Regen will continue down to about 5 MPH, then you stop with the regular brakes. This also means that a set of brakes last far longer than a non-hybrid car.
But noisy brakes might also be something caught between the brake pads and the rotor. If it has any sort of metallic or grinding sound, you should have them checked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But noisy brakes might also be something caught between the brake pads and the rotor. If it has any sort of metallic or grinding sound, you should have them checked.

Yeah, going to have to get the brakes checked as I can hear that whine you mentioned, however I do hear a grinding sound "catch" when I first begin to press the brake. the car slows down fine, but perhaps like you said it could be something caught.

Good to know about sport mode. I haven't messed with that yet, I've driven close to 800 miles since I bought the car a week ago due to having to run all over the state due to a family emergency however that 800 miles only used about 50% of the fuel I put in it since I was lucky enough to be able to keep it charged in between trips etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
Yeah, going to have to get the brakes checked as I can hear that whine you mentioned, however I do hear a grinding sound "catch" when I first begin to press the brake. the car slows down fine, but perhaps like you said it could be something caught.

Good to know about sport mode. I haven't messed with that yet, I've driven close to 800 miles since I bought the car a week ago due to having to run all over the state due to a family emergency however that 800 miles only used about 50% of the fuel I put in it since I was lucky enough to be able to keep it charged in between trips etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
With the miles you quoted, I can't imagine there is a brake issue.
I have noted with my Niro that because the regular friction brakes are rarely used, it is not uncommon for the rotors to get rusty and make a grinding sound, mostly when backing because regen does not work when reversing.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
52 Posts
Personally, I had to really get used to the Electric 'engine noise' when I drive in Eco Mode. This car sounds so different than anything I have had before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts