Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'd think I would have coughed up the $240 for the spare tire kit already since I'm roughly at 126,400 miles. Well I just never got around to it. This is my second flat since I owned the car. The first barely gave me time to pull over. This time I was able to drive 5 miles add more air and go 5 more miles to a Chevy dealer. Yeah didn't have much choice. Anyhow, just purchased the spare tire kit. If you haven't yet, you may as well just buy it and call it insurance.
By the way. If you haven't seen my other posts, I got 75000 miles off my first set of tires. And I'm at 51000 miles on this second set. I have not had an alignment and have never rotated my tires. Expect I'll get another 10000 miles out of the current set.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Never rotated? Makes one wonder how far you might have gone. My best was low 80,000 on a set of Bridgestone Serenity tires on my PT Cruiser. Tires a bit narrower than the Niro at 195.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes $240 for the whole kit. The regular tires are the same Michelin tires that came on it originally. I can't fault the tires for road hazards. I bought the second set from simple tire on the internet. Took them to Walmart cause they don't do alignments, cheap install and they don't harass you to buy blinker fluid and everything else under the sun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to lease a 2015 Forte and when I had that I got a spare tire kit for about $180 from ebay. When I turned that lease in I kept the spare tire kit intending to sell it but then a few weeks after buying the Niro my wife picked up a nail in the sidewall and for giggles I checked to see if the Forte spare would work.

It worked perfectly! I even tested it on both front and rear axles and it works fine, although I think the overall diameter is a bit small but I still drove on it for 3 days without issue.

The foam fits perfectly in the cargo area and the tools and wheel fit just fine... I'm glad I procrastinated on selling it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ouch! Now it seems lucky I got a flat at 180 miles and bought my spare for $189 back in 2017. That source is also now up to $239. But that cost is still better than the time cost of getting it towed to a KIA dealer and waiting until the next day for the car just for a flat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife's Leaf has a spare. ME! After 4 years, she finally pinched a tire, in a pothole. When I was a mechanic, I couldn't believe how much metal people had in their tires. (most weren't punctures).
On our Tesla, I opted for roadside assistance. It might be ME that gets the next flat! $12/yr? The gamble is how long you'll wait for the truck to arrive.
And the fist thing I did with the Leaf? Toss that bottle of fix a flat!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just had a huge gash put in my tire so the tire sealant wouldn't work big hassle back and fourth to get the tire then take it for a replacement then back to put it on. A spare would be much easier I ordered one form eBay spare with jack kit for $169 shipped haven't gotten it yet though not dealing with that situation again and buying spares for my other cars too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. A huge gash in the left front. Tire sealant ineffective. Waited hours for roadside assistance who towed me to the nearest Kia dealer. The dealer didn't have the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and it would have taken 3 days to get one, so I settled for whatever they had in stock in my tire size so I could get under way. Lost a half day of work. Subsequently I bought a spare tire with jack kit so this never happens to me again.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. A huge gash in the left front. Tire sealant ineffective. Waited hours for roadside assistance who towed me to the nearest Kia dealer. The dealer didn't have the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and it would have taken 3 days to get one, so I settled for whatever they had in stock in my tire size so I could get under way. Lost a half day of work. Subsequently I bought a spare tire with jack kit so this never happens to me again.
Where are you going tu put it in your PHEV ? the battery takes at least 60% of the space under the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where are you going tu put it in your PHEV ? the battery takes at least 60% of the space under the floor.
I was thinking of something like this (quoting myself from another thread):

Ok, a little research produces the fact that that the spare tire for the Niro is a T125/80 R16. Plugging that into tiresize.com's calculator gives me a 24" diameter and 5" width for the mounted tire. 5" is narrow enough to just sit it on the floor behind the front seats even with the rear seats folded. The jack and tool kit fits into the rim so that's handy.

A simple tire caddy like this:

https://www.amazon.com/FLR-Adjustable-Waterproof-Protection-Seasonal/dp/B07L2VKTW2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=tire+bag&qid=1557402963&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Should hold the whole thing and let me just stash it in the car when I need it.
You can stash it behind the front seats or rig up a way to lash it somewhere in the rear (maybe to the back of the rear seat?)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope, in the PHEV the battery extends into the spare tire wheel well.

However you can bungee cord the jack tool insert to the tire which will secure them as one unit. You can then bungee cord the entire unit to the back seat upper latch fasteners. Yes this does take up valuable cargo space.

Here is the compromise we made as PHEV owners. We bought the Kia spare tire kit that includes the tools, mounted tire, and insert to store tools.
We also purchased a heavy duty tire plug repair kit. We drive mostly local and only carry the jack,lug wrench in the insert and the heavy duty tire repair kit. These are all stored under a cargo net in the cargo area The mounted spare tire stays in the garage and would be used if I couldn't repair the tire. I would have someone from home bring the tire to me. On an extended trip I would bring the spare along and tether it as I described.

It is very nice in the regular HEV that the spare mounts below the cargo area in the spare tire wheel well.

I did the same thing as you did - as soon as we received the spare I went out and mounted it to check out the fit the tire jack and lug wrench.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
You can stash it behind the front seats or rig up a way to lash it somewhere in the rear (maybe to the back of the rear seat?)
or create a "Crocodile Dundee Roof Rack" for the Niro.!!! :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts