Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still lurking and learning here. I've had a Silky Gray Niro PHEV EX Premium w SR in my sights for almost 2 months -- just waiting for Kia to brings back the 0% financing and a rebate before pulling the trigger.

BUT... as I lurk here I'm seeing a small, yet alarming number of Niros with over 20,000 miles having a "Hybrid System Failure". I know an owner here in Seattle (not on this forum) with a 2017 PHEV that had HSF just over 24K. His car has been at the dealer for over two months! There are a few other similar examples on this forum. I know Niros are a new, low volume model so dealers are don't have a lot of experience nor are there a lot of spare parts. None- the less, that is totally ridiculous!!!

On the other side of the ledger is Gbilly with over 100K trouble free miles!! :x

So I would love to hear from all of you with 10,000+ miles on your Niro. Please share your model (HEV or PHEV), current mileage, AND whether or not you have had any problem that disabled your car for more than 2 days. If so, what was the issue and how long did it take to resolve? THANKS ALL! :D

PS:I took a quick look at the Ionqic forum and did not find any reports of HSF despite the propulsion and computer systems being the same as far as I can determine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So I would love to hear from all of you with 10,000+ miles on your Niro. Please share your model (HEV or PHEV), current mileage, AND whether or not you have had any problem that disabled your car for more than 2 days. If so, what was the issue and how long did it take to resolve? THANKS ALL! :D

23,530 miles here. 2018 EX Premium PHEV. No real problems so far and we love the car. I have seen some minor glitches now and then, but nothing to really complain about and nothing I would say is out of the ordinary.

• Once or twice the infotainment screen has gone black and required turning the car off and on again to reset.
  • Maybe three times after fully charging the car at a Level 2 charger I've gotten a "Check Hybrid System" message on startup. That too clears by simply turning the car off and on again. I wonder if that's an issue with starting the car immediately after it's just finished charging.

Other than that we've had no issues at all. I've done 2 oil changes (plus one at the dealer at 22,500 when I had them do the clutch fluid service). MPG is tricky to define in a PHEV, but on long trips we're getting ~50mpg highway which is pretty darn good. I can commute 2 days on a single charge so I can go weeks without using much if any fuel. Overall I'm extremely happy with the Niro and would strongly consider buying an EV version if my VW TDI ever needs replacing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
32,000 trouble free miles on my HEV. Never even seen the insides of a dealer service bay.
3 oil changes, due for the 4th...all in my garage. Its stupid simple.

Added a hitch and tow a small trailer on weekends to haul building materials to my hunting land.
I have roof racks and haul a large fishing kayak to a local lake when I can.
No problems towing or hauling.

Average of around 44 MPG with a Touring Launch Edition, right at EPA estimate.

I have taken it on a 1200 mile weekend trip and it was perfectly comfortable.
Other than being a smashed bug magnet, I do like this vehicle.

·
Registered
371 Posts

• Once or twice the infotainment screen has gone black and required turning the car off and on again to reset.

There's a recent TSB on the NHTSA web site for the black screen issue, perhaps its the issue you experienced, perhaps not. This link may or may not work for you: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152900-9999.pdf If it doesn't work, go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle, enter model and year, and then click on "Manufacturer Communications". It's currently the fourth listing from the top (of 36 total).

I'm still way below the OP's request for reports from 15k+, but I'm very much enamored with my 2018 PHEV

·
Registered
409 Posts
There's a recent TSB on the NHTSA web site for the black screen issue, perhaps its the issue you experienced, perhaps not. This link may or may not work for you: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10152900-9999.pdf If it doesn't work, go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle, enter model and year, and then click on "Manufacturer Communications". It's currently the fourth listing from the top (of 36 total).
Interesting. I checked the version on my PHEV and mine is even older than the one listed in the TSB. Makes sense given that the TSB date is December 2018 and we picked ours up in April. Sees like they've gone through a bunch of revisions since then.

Not sure it's worth a trip to the dealer just for that, maybe in another 20k miles when I have them change the clutch fluid again.

Thanks for info.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting. I checked the version on my PHEV and mine is even older than the one listed in the TSB. Makes sense given that the TSB date is December 2018 and we picked ours up in April. Sees like they've gone through a bunch of revisions since then.

Not sure it's worth a trip to the dealer just for that, maybe in another 20k miles when I have them change the clutch fluid again.

Thanks for info.
Hey jmurphEV I'm just curious......How much did they charge you to change the Clutch fluid? Do you know how long it took them to do it?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey jmurphEV I'm just curious......How much did they charge you to change the Clutch fluid? Do you know how long it took them to do it?
I'd have to check the receipt, which I'll do when I get back home. I think it was around $250 or so and took about an hour.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd have to check the receipt, which I'll do when I get back home. I think it was around $250 or so and took about an hour.
WOW That seems like a lot. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make sure I quiz my dealer good before I get it done. Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
WOW That seems like a lot. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make sure I quiz my dealer good before I get it done. Thanks!
That's what I get for relying on memory. :eek: I checked the receipt and the total cost for the clutch fluid change was $160. $20 for the fluid (DOT 4 brake fluid as it happens) and $140 for the labor. Not cheap, but based on some posts around here not something I could realistically do myself as there is an adaptation procedure that requires the factory service software tool.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's what I get for relying on memory. :eek: I checked the receipt and the total cost for the clutch fluid change was $160. $20 for the fluid (DOT 4 brake fluid as it happens) and $140 for the labor. Not cheap, but based on some posts around here not something I could realistically do myself as there is an adaptation procedure that requires the factory service software tool.
Thanks very much for the update! Not something I want to do on my own either LOL.

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts

Thanks for info.

I was just in for my first required service with my wifes Niro, and back Wednesday for mine. I did take some time to go through my warranty maintenance section on my manual and it looks more like its 75,000miles for inspecting except where you are in the broadly defined Serviere usage definition where it says to replace the Dual Clutch transmission fluid.

Dual clutch transmission fluid R Every 120,000 km (75,000 miles) C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J

I am wondering, when did you change yours as the thread is sort of suggesting about service at the 15,000 mile mark. (24,000km) or after the first year of service.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am wondering, when did you change yours as the thread is sort of suggesting about service at the 15,000 mile mark. (24,000km) or after the first year of service.
I think we may be talking about different things. I had the dealer change the engine clutch actuator fluid, which is recommended every 22,500 miles.

The dual clutch transmission fluid doesn't seem to have a recommended change interval unless you meet the severe service specs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think we may be talking about different things. I had the dealer change the engine clutch actuator fluid, which is recommended every 22,500 miles.

The dual clutch transmission fluid doesn't seem to have a recommended change interval unless you meet the severe service specs.
I remember somebody else saying this before but on page 8-10 of the owners manual under normal service it says to Replace the engine clutch actuator fluid every 22,500 mi. Isn't that what we're talking about?

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
I am just looking at the manual for my Niro HEV on page 8-11 (446) and I don't see anything for an engine clutch actuator. Is this something unique to the Plug In?

24,000 km (15,000 miles) or 12 months
* Inspect air cleaner filter 

* Inspect HSG belt *3 (24,000 km (15,000 miles) or 24 months) 

* Inspect vacuum hose 

* Inspect air conditioning refrigerant 

* Inspect brake hoses and lines 

* Inspect drive shafts and boots 

* Inspect exhaust pipe and muffler 

* Inspect front brake disc/pads, calipers 

* Inspect rear brake disc/pads 

* Inspect steering gear box, linkage & boots/lower arm ball joint, upper arm ball joint 

* Inspect suspension mounting bolts 

* Inspect engine clutch actuator hose and lines 
(Every 24,000 km (15,000 mile) or 12months) 

* Replace climate control air filter (for evaporator and blower unit)
* Replace engine oil and filter
(24,000 km (15,000 miles) or 24 months)

Add fuel additive *4 (24,000 km (15,000 miles) or 24 months) Rotate tire position (Every 12,000 km (7,500 miles))
Inspect battery condition
Inspect cooling system hoses and connections
 Inspect clutch (if equipped) and brake pedal free paly
 Inspect all latch, hinges and locks

Now, the HSG belt under the severe service side says it needs to get replaced. Now I know that my KIA dealership will balk or at least the service contract side that now has to pay (as I have 2 years of full maintenance covered with my purchase) and it will be a fun argument to then justify why they told me I am in the service area for some things like oil changes and inspections and not for replacing belts that are clearly inside the manual. 18 more months to see how that argument will turn out.

OOPS. Found it. looking in the wrong section. sorry.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry I was talking about HEV. Mine is a 2018 HEV. I re-read the above post and see where somebody was talking about the regular transmission fluid sorry I confused it with the Clutch actuator fluid. So in summary the clutch actuator fluid should be changed at 22,500mi. and the regular auto. trans fluid they don't call for a change......Right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 with exactly 14,000 miles. Zero mechanical problems and I drive A LOT. It is only 8 months old. Only problem is the steering wheel material is coming apart.

My friend owns a 2017. She has over 20k miles. She had a problem with it losing power at low speeds. They updated the computer and all is well. No other issues.

This is our 3rd Kia and we own a Veloster as well. Both our other Kias had zero issues and we sold them both top dollar at over 100k miles.

For a hybrid I like it just fine especially for the price. We purchased the lifetime warranty for the batteries to be safe.

Happy shopping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts