Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Florida, we don't need front license plates, but I'd like to put a vanity plate on the Niro. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and already purchased the plate I wanted and the frame. I had looked at the front grill of the PHEV and saw this rectangular plastic box in the middle of the bottom grill and thought, of course, that's where it goes! Wrong! I'm pretty sure that is the plastic cover over the front distance sensor for cruise control and collision avoidance!

A search of the Internet including Amazon and eBay show all sorts of mounts that put the bracket on the side of the grill, even in the tow mount opening, and don't like it at all. I'd like it in the center.

For those of you in states that require a front license plate, where is is mounted? Can you post a picture of your grill with the license plate or mount showing? (obscure the license plate numbers if you don't want it posted publicly.)

I have to assume that this is a standard part from a Kia dealer; just not something we get in Florida by default.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The plastic bumper just above the radar sensor has four indents that correspond to the top holes of license plates or license frames. They are intended to be drill guides for a small hole to use as a bolt starter. My state requires a front license plate and my dealer put it on after the title arrived. Bolts should be in your glove compartment.

It is not elegant, and a frame would be even worse looking. I'd suggest passing. Instead, try painting or a vinyl printed wrap for that area with your message. It will look far better fitting the space properly, and it won't get dented like the plate will (trust me). "Mike's awesome hybrid"

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi there, yes whatever you DO NOT mess with the square rectangle that looks like a perfect spot for the plate!!
I ended up getting a set of parts, links are provided below to mount my front plate. It turned out really solid & good looking.

The plate surround...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1ETJNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The backing plate..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032K4VA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the screw set..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032KBFE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
finally, protective screw covers...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040LXM1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I included 2 shots of the plate, if you want a real closeup, let me know!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Agreed. European plates might fit nicely under the radar on the lower grill too.

I took my front plate off yesterday. I discovered that several members at a club I go to don't have front plates and have never been bothered by the cops. I'm putting it inside the car in case I get pulled over.

Under Ohio law, it cannot be the primary reason to be pulled over so it is doubly tragic that an unarmed Ohio motorist was pulled over last year because of a missing plate and shot to death. Ohio State legislature made a valiant attempt to eliminate the front plate law (none of our neighboring states have it), but the push back from law enforcement was too great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, NI2Q here. I have a 2018 Niro Ex. Have you tried putting any radios in the vehicle yet?

I'd like to install my Icom 706MKIIG, but am afraid of the 100 Watts on HF causing a problem. I think I'll try a 40W yaesu dual band mobile I have laying around.

Any thoughts?

Cary

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi, NI2Q here. I have a 2018 Niro Ex. Have you tried putting any radios in the vehicle yet?

I'd like to install my Icom 706MKIIG, but am afraid of the 100 Watts on HF causing a problem. I think I'll try a 40W yaesu dual band mobile I have laying around.

Any thoughts?

Cary
How are you going to power it. Normally I would run + & - directly to the 12v battery... Niro doesn't have a "Normal" battery, but rather a 12v Nimh in the pack with the HV battery. I have thought about adding a additional 12v battery, just for radios, but it still needs to be charged by the cars system.... What do you think???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi there, hey, that's not a half bad idea.... I imagine that point is hardwired directly to the battery with some good gauge wire....

However, ....with all the reports about that little battery just sitting around and dying, do you think the standby current from a rig might deplete that battery way too quickly???? This was the reason I was thinking of adding a second battery. I need to find schematics to the 2018 EX wiring to get an idea of what I am dealing with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There has to be a distribution point for the 12VDC to all the accessories, including power windows and the lighting.

We probably should start a new thread about this. Where we are is probably way too hidden for other Hams to see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts