Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months, about 6700 miles. Absolutely nothing to report other than fantastic fuel economy. :D

I'm still running on my first quarter of the first full tank of gas. The car says 80 mpg after 310 miles but I don't know if that figure includes the first 20 miles at the dealer where they never charged the battery and the history shows 25-27 mpg on ICE (I assume customers were trying the sport mode acceleration out on the highway). What kind of fuel economy are you seeing after 6700 miles?

EDIT: I should note, I bought a new 2019 PHEV EX.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
I'm still running on my first quarter of the first full tank of gas. The car says 80 mpg after 310 miles but I don't know if that figure includes the first 20 miles at the dealer where they never charged the battery and the history shows 25-27 mpg on ICE (I assume customers were trying the sport mode acceleration out on the highway). What kind of fuel economy are you seeing after 6700 miles?

The PHEV can vary wildly in actual gasoline usage based on multiple factors. Since the Niro does not have a heat pump, the gas engine is required in cold weather. Over the summer, when no heat was necessary, I could go for days without the ICE running. Of course, any trip beyond its EV range turns it into a "normal" hybrid. I've gone over 1500 miles on just under a half tank, again during the summer. Now that heat is required, I'll see trip MPG anywhere from 50 to 300 MPG, depending on how cold it is and how much I was stopped with the ICE running. And of course keeping within my EV range as much as possible.

Speaking of EV range, the best I've done was 34 miles with the A/C on and driving normally. I've taken one long trip from my home south of Seattle, across the mountains to Ellensburg, then back home again. I used either Hybrid or Sport mode for most of the freeway segments, to save the EV range for driving around town. My total MPG for the trip was about 60 MPG for the roughly 250 miles I drove. For my overall MPG since I leased the car, you can see my running MPG in my Fuelly numbers below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 5 posts.

That's now 6. Lol. Another 4 posts and I guess I can see the jmages in other people's signatures.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Love the mpg on this car, I am now at 950 miles and just went below the first quarter tank of initial gas. Could definitely have used less than that if not for the fact that I intentionally used sport mode and hybrid mode a few times just for the sake of using up gas. Someone here mentioned that gas can actually go bad and definitely do not want that in my new car.

My roundtrip commute is right about 28 miles and the EV range can take care of that about 99% of the time.

Another thing that is noteworthy for the PHEV, KIA says that the battery capacity is 8.9kwh, however in reality it is more than that. The following experience tells me that the 8.9kWh advertised is only for the 26 mile ev range.

I once used up the battery all the way down to no more EV range with the system displaying 16% battery left. Charged it on my 120V outlet with my outlet monitor indicating 11.75a draw. Took 6hr20 min to fully charge. That means 84% of battery capacity = 120v * 11.75a * 6.3 = 8.93 kWh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no idea you had to have so many posts just to see the sig line! :D Anyway, my average MPG over my first 6 months is 166.8, and that includes not only the long trip I mentioned before, but several runs to my parents home (80 miles each way) and a few others that far exceed the EV range. My best tank was 342.4 MPG.

Wow! How much higher are your home electricity bills? Have you calculated or estimated that, yet?

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Wow! How much higher are your home electricity bills? Have you calculated or estimated that, yet?
Actually, it's barely noticeable. I already use a lot of electricity in my home, and adding the PHEV probably didn't add more than $30 per month, and that's a high estimate. But I do live where it's not particularly expensive. Even the upper tier rate, which the majority of my usage reaches, is just under 11 cents per kWh.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Love the mpg on this car, I am now at 950 miles and just went below the first quarter tank of initial gas. Could definitely have used less than that if not for the fact that I intentionally used sport mode and hybrid mode a few times just for the sake of using up gas. Someone here mentioned that gas can actually go bad and definitely do not want that in my new car.

My roundtrip commute is right about 28 miles and the EV range can take care of that about 99% of the time.

Another thing that is noteworthy for the PHEV, KIA says that the battery capacity is 8.9kwh, however in reality it is more than that. The following experience tells me that the 8.9kWh advertised is only for the 26 mile ev range.

I once used up the battery all the way down to no more EV range with the system displaying 16% battery left. Charged it on my 120V outlet with my outlet monitor indicating 11.75a draw. Took 6hr20 min to fully charge. That means 84% of battery capacity = 120v * 11.75a * 6.3 = 8.93 kWh.
FYI, charge rate kW drops near full charge. It's better to measures watts directly. The most I've ever added was ~8kW. Some owners have reported slightly more.

·
Registered
412 Posts
FYI, charge rate kW drops near full charge. It's better to measures watts directly. The most I've ever added was ~8kW. Some owners have reported slightly more.
I've seen as high as 8.3kWh (measured by the Chargepoint charger I normally use). Of course, that doesn't account for any losses in the Niro's onboard charger. For example, if the Niro's charger is 98% efficient the actual energy delivered to the battery pack would be ~8.1kWh.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
My electricity has gone up by $10 to $15 CDN. My rates are fairly cheap, from 6.9 cents per KWH to 13 cents at peak hours.
Hydro-Quebec is chargin us a BIG .46¢ for a full 8.9kWh charge (2h15m).. and .96¢ after the first 40KW spent in the same day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is pretty cheap electricity. In the US the average electricity cost is about 11c per kWh. My annual average is right on par with that if I control my peak usage.
cheapest gas around here is 2.50 per gal (costco). With that in mind, I calculated a savings of about 30% using electricity vs gas, which is ok but not as great as some states like CA where gas price is ridiculous.

Another point that we need to note, when you calculate electricity cost make sure you add all the taxes and fees. My advertised kWh cost is only 5c, but with all the taxes and fees added, in reality its about double that.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
My electricity has gone up by $10 to $15 CDN. My rates are fairly cheap, from 6.9 cents per KWH to 13 cents at peak hours.

Not to nitpick but you might not be looking at your electricity bill quite right. You are in Ontario, so your hyrdo rates will be pretty similar to mine. You are correct in the base rate cost of electricity, but you also have to add in the cost of Transmission and the Global Adjustment cost onto your price you think you are paying. They love to fool you into thinking your rates are not all that bad, but split off additional charges that get added to the power you buy. You've got to remember that Dalton with his clean energy act some 10 years ago signed what was it, a 100 year contract with Samsung for wind turbine towers to buy their power at 99 cents per KWH. That contract has to get paid by someone and it is snuck into our power bill every month.

The current cost here in Ontario is 10.1 ~ 20.8 cents per KWH depending on off/mid/on peak times. + the additional charges and add the 13% HST ontop of that. It does cost quite a bit if you actually start adding it up, or a range of 1.95 to 4.01 cents per KM to drive your PHEV here in Ontario. In cost of GAS the Niro is listed at getting about 4.9L/100km with lets say on average here in my area that gas costs about $1.20/L. so your gas costs are 5.88 cents per KM.

If you can charge your car in Off Peek times, then yes you do get a about 300% cost savings. Where as if you need to charge up during peek times, your savings are only 46%. Now, truth be told, over the summer time, I have been getting far better than the posted 4.9L/100 in fuel economy, and paying less than the average gas price of $1.20/L, so the savings you see are not as large when compared to my cost. As sell, depending on how much of a government discount you get, as the PHEV costs far more than the HEV model, the point of break even is actually several years out, so if you are say doing a 3 year lease, then you might have not saved anything (depending on how many of those less than 42km between charging road trips you take.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using a Nexxtmove charger and (using slow charging (1000W @ 220V)) I've had it go from extremely empty to full registering 8.9kWh once.
(which corresponds to 2.41 euro btw)

(edit: typo)

·
Registered
240 Posts
After 2,280 miles I'm starting to get some understanding of the operational intricacies for my PHEV and have gone through 2 tanks of gas and a partial fill. Here are my MPGs so far all calculated by Fuelly.
  • 1st tank 95.61 - was dealer fill & I'm not sure how "full" it was. Was about 60% city with a few run ups of RPMs in Sport mode.
  • 2nd tank 106. 5 - about 80% city, using ICE some for heat, perhaps 10% of the time along with some more RPM run ups to 5,000.
  • 3rd tank (only partial fill) 58.6. I wanting to see what I would get with pure (95%) highway driving with heat on. Two full recharges at both ends of 110 mile trip averaging 65 mph, with outside temp between 28 - 39 F, heat on most of the time. If I subtract 52 miles that were presumably in EV mode, I got 45.8 mpg on the ICE engine. I think that makes sense.
About 80% of these miles I'm driving fairly conservatively. The other 20% are by my wife, who really doesn't pay all that much attention & isn't a particularly conservative driver. I'm running on Michelin Premier A/S tires rather than the OEM Mich Energy Saver A/S.

We're not breaking any records and will do better as we get more use to the car & the engine gets broken more, but at this point I'm quite pleased

·
Registered
231 Posts
I average between 60-80 mpg each tank. I charge nightly and take advantage of opportunity charging when possible. Never seen it below 60. I have to drive back and forth from Asheville to Knoxville once a week so that’s why I hover around there. If I didn’t have to make that weekly trip I’m sure it would be 80+. I’m really happy with the performance and efficiency. 12,000mi on my 2019 EX Premium in 6 months. I do about 24,000/year.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
After 2,280 miles I'm starting to get some understanding of the operational intricacies for my PHEV and have gone through 2 tanks of gas and a partial fill. Here are my MPGs so far all calculated by Fuelly.
  • 1st tank 95.61 - was dealer fill & I'm not sure how "full" it was. Was about 60% city with a few run ups of RPMs in Sport mode.
  • 2nd tank 106. 5 - about 80% city, using ICE some for heat, perhaps 10% of the time along with some more RPM run ups to 5,000.
  • 3rd tank (only partial fill) 58.6. I wanting to see what I would get with pure (95%) highway driving with heat on. Two full recharges at both ends of 110 mile trip averaging 65 mph, with outside temp between 28 - 39 F, heat on most of the time. If I subtract 52 miles that were presumably in EV mode, I got 45.8 mpg on the ICE engine. I think that makes sense.
When you can get along without cabin heat (next summer perhaps) you'll find you'll do much better. I can do the majority of my driving with little use of the ICE, mainly because my commute is slightly too far for EV only. The best tank I had last summer was 342 MPG, and it would have been even higher but I had a couple of trips that exceeded my EV range by about 20 miles. Now that it's cold and I need heat, I'm running about 75-100 MPG, but again can still drive in EV mode the majority of the time. Even with the ICE running for heat, it still doesn't drive the car and uses very little fuel, as long as I have enough battery available to move the car. But so far even in the cold I'm getting about 30 EV miles from a full battery. I think that's because with the ICE running there's still a small amount of charge being applied to the battery. But compared to the 21 MPG my Outback was giving me, I'm good with it. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
When you can get along without cabin heat (next summer perhaps) you'll find you'll do much better. I can do the majority of my driving with little use of the ICE, mainly because my commute is slightly too far for EV only. The best tank I had last summer was 342 MPG, and it would have been even higher but I had a couple of trips that exceeded my EV range by about 20 miles. Now that it's cold and I need heat, I'm running about 75-100 MPG, but again can still drive in EV mode the majority of the time. Even with the ICE running for heat, it still doesn't drive the car and uses very little fuel, as long as I have enough battery available to move the car. But so far even in the cold I'm getting about 30 EV miles from a full battery. I think that's because with the ICE running there's still a small amount of charge being applied to the battery. But compared to the 21 MPG my Outback was giving me, I'm good with it. :)
This is true. It's ~5a or about ~1600W.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts