Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen as high as 8.3kWh (measured by the Chargepoint charger I normally use). Of course, that doesn't account for any losses in the Niro's onboard charger. For example, if the Niro's charger is 98% efficient the actual energy delivered to the battery pack would be ~8.1kWh.
So finally I had a chance to run down my battery as much as possible, and I was at 12% with 0 range displayed when I plugged in. This morning after a full charge my meter is saying I used 9.15kWh. However we do need to take into account that probably 1-2% is lost during the charging process.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So finally I had a chance to run down my battery as much as possible, and I was at 12% with 0 range displayed when I plugged in. This morning after a full charge my meter is saying I used 9.15kWh. However we do need to take into account that probably 1-2% is lost during the charging process.
I'd guess the charging loss is closer to 10 - 15 %. Remember, our batteries are 8.9 KWH, but the car always has 12%+ charge left. And that is assuming that 100% charge is 100% charge. Which I believe is not the case.

I have seen my EV range decrease in the winter weather, but it hasn't decreased much. After going to work and back (42 km's), I typically have about 7 km's left now instead of 9 or 10 km's. The temperature lately has been between 0 to -10 degrees Celsius. I have winter tires on the car now and have been using the heated steering wheel pretty much non stop. I haven't been using the ICE to heat the car, actually the opposite almost as I'm blowing cold air (temp set to LOW) to ensure my car doesn't fog up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd guess the charging loss is closer to 10 - 15 %. Remember, our batteries are 8.9 KWH, but the car always has 12%+ charge left. And that is assuming that 100% charge is 100% charge. Which I believe is not the case.

I have seen my EV range decrease in the winter weather, but it hasn't decreased much. After going to work and back (42 km's), I typically have about 7 km's left now instead of 9 or 10 km's. The temperature lately has been between 0 to -10 degrees Celsius. I have winter tires on the car now and have been using the heated steering wheel pretty much non stop. I haven't been using the ICE to heat the car, actually the opposite almost as I'm blowing cold air (temp set to LOW) to ensure my car doesn't fog up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my 2020 for coming up on 5 months with 2,231 miles. Fuelly shows me at 159.2 mpg, and even though I didn't start using Fuelly until a month or so after I got my Niro, I think that figure is real close to my cumulative mpg. Since I work from home, most of my driving can be done on EV alone, and I routinely get 30-32 miles of EV range. I've always beaten (knock on wood) the sticker EV range of 26, and enjoy trying to squeeze out every kilowatt I can by driving economically (Hey, I've got a motorcycle to get my speed thrills on 😁). Since I've read that gasoline's "shelf life" is perhaps 3 months, I've only done two partial fill-ups of approximately 6 gallons and about 2 months apart.

Due to changing weather and my wife being out of town perhaps 25% of the time I've had the Niro, it's difficult to determine the exact impact my Niro has made on our electric bill. But my best guestimate is that it's been minimal - like $10-20/month.

I absolutely love my Niro. Aside from a known issue requiring replacement of the air flap system about a month into my lease (covered by warranty of course), the car has performed beautifully. It's a wonderful all-rounder, and I'm amazed I don't see a lot more of them.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,263 Posts
Due to changing weather and my wife being out of town perhaps 25% of the time I've had the Niro, it's difficult to determine the exact impact my Niro has made on our electric bill. But my best guestimate is that it's been minimal - like $10-20/month.
I've had mine for 18 months now, but have only been able to track my electricity consumption since installing a JuiceBox 40 in March, just as the pandemic shut everything down. August has been my highest consumption month. I took two weeks off so did more than usual driving, including a 250 road trip over two mountain passes. Since this month isn't over, I'm just counting March-Oct. My average monthly electricity cost is $15.12, with a low of $8.61 and a high of $22.94. I pay about 11 cents per kWh. This is averaging about 800 miles per month, the car plugged in at every opportunity to maximize EV driving. My Fuelly MPG in that time frame is a low of 97.5 MPG and a max of 204.4 MPG. My best tank has been 342.4 MPG. Even with the limitations of PHEV (not as powerful in EV mode as other brands, ICE required for heating) the car has absolutely been worth the cost. My monthly driving cost has gone from ~$225 for gas to ~$30 gas/electricity combined. Plus my monthly car payment is almost $200 less, I've saved big time over my last car. My lease is at the half way point, so I'm beginning to evaluate what I'll replace it with. I'd prefer a BEV, but the wife might still insist on a PHEV. If I lose that discussion, the RAV4 Prime is my likely target. Over 40 EV miles of range (some testers are reporting close to 60 miles real world), a heat pump, and loads of power in EV mode makes it an almost no brainer.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I absolutely love my Niro. Aside from a known issue requiring replacement of the air flap system about a month into my lease (covered by warranty of course), the car has performed beautifully. It's a wonderful all-rounder, and I'm amazed I don't see a lot more of them.
You say that is a known issue? Didn't seem to be for my dealer. Turning into a 4 month affair. Was in there today for 4 hours. After they had the car apart, they discovered that the flap box labeled (2) only had one. Because of stuff, they didn't even replace the one causing most of the noise. Have to wait for two in stock to do it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts