Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you measure fuel economy?
I saw in the system there is "Hybrid" section. That would show the engine, energy flow, etc.
It also display average "fuel economy".

How is this measured? Is it per trip? Or averaging all trips?

Should I reset this every time after filling gas tank? :)

Yes, I am very new to Kia Niro. Just got this 2020 hybrid few weeks ago, still learning :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I saw in the system there is "Hybrid" section. That would show the engine, energy flow, etc.

Yes, I am very new to Kia Niro. Just got this 2020 hybrid few weeks ago, still learning :D
The old fashioned way is better and more accurate than believing the cars computer . At the pump just divide the number of miles by gallons . That gives you miles per gallon. In metric it's litres per 100 kilometers.

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
142 Posts
Yes, the average on the screens depends on distance and temperature ...

Reactions: kia_kia

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The always displayed average on your dash (depending on view selection - perhaps it is also shown in the hybrid section of the infotainment screen) is an average of all miles traveled since it was last reset. I set mine to automatically zero every time I fill the tank. Generally that number is about 3 mpg optimistic over my calculated mpg, can vary between 1 and 6 mpg optimistic. If you never calculate your actual mpg, relying on just the displayed number will make you feel great about your car purchase!

There is another average displayed per trip on your dash for a few seconds when turning the car off. Miss it? Turn your car back on and off again, it will display again. That trip average is cumulative until you park for about 4 hours, then it too resets. Based on my experience in varying conditions, this trip meter is highly accurate. Which makes some sense to be more accurate on a short trip versus a full tank where cumulative errors pile up into the final number.

I missed this trip mpg for perhaps the first year of ownership because I'm exiting the car immediately when I turn the car off. But it is an interesting confirmation of my own estimated trip mpg so I mostly catch it now at the end of a trip. The more you do that, the more you will be able to see and learn how your own driving habits, speed, the temperature, inclement weather or wet/snowy roads, and even altitude gain/loss affects your mpg. Then you are able to adjust your driving habits to taste. For example, if I have a choice, I don't drive while it is raining or on colder days.

You also have an instant mpg graph to look at. I find this almost useless. I did however learn something useful from it. At about 39/40 mph (if you are not still accelerating briskly), you will feel a higher gear kick in (on a flat road). At that point, the instant mpg jumps up quite a bit. Since it is more efficient to drive at that speed than anything lower (while ICE is on), I make it a point to accelerate faster to that speed on city roads than I otherwise would not knowing that to take advantage of the increased efficiency. In particular, the first drive of the day. Once the engine is warm, it is more likely to spend a good portion of low speed city conditions in EV. Quickly getting up to 40 mph also warms the ICE faster.

No way to be sure that my doing this impacts my mpg positively, but makes sense to me. I think many hybrid owners play certain games to increase their mpg. One of the more common ones is to attempt to force the car into EV mode. I used to do this on the highway, but am convinced that while maintaining highway speeds, it is a zero sum game. Not sure about low speed driving, but it is well known that EV is most efficient at city speeds so I do try to baby it the last couple miles of a trip. Doing so immediately impacts my average mpg no matter how many miles on the tank. So with this positive reinforcement, that is a game I continue to play.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
The dash display will never be completely accurate. I generally found them to be a tad optimistic, often showing a full tank MPG of 155 (remember, mine was the PHEV), while my Fuelly calculation (same as using paper and pencil) was more like 143. But I have found that to be the case in almost any car I've owned with dash economy displays. I'll occasionally have a per fillup display match my calculation very close, but on average they are always higher than reality.

Reactions: kia_kia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The always displayed average on your dash (depending on view selection - perhaps it is also shown in the hybrid section of the infotainment screen) is an average of all miles traveled since it was last reset. I set mine to automatically zero every time I fill the tank. Generally that number is about 3 mpg optimistic over my calculated mpg, can vary between 1 and 6 mpg optimistic. If you never calculate your actual mpg, relying on just the displayed number will make you feel great about your car purchase!

There is another average displayed per trip on your dash for a few seconds when turning the car off. Miss it? Turn your car back on and off again, it will display again. That trip average is cumulative until you park for about 4 hours, then it too resets. Based on my experience in varying conditions, this trip meter is highly accurate. Which makes some sense to be more accurate on a short trip versus a full tank where cumulative errors pile up into the final number.

I missed this trip mpg for perhaps the first year of ownership because I'm exiting the car immediately when I turn the car off. But it is an interesting confirmation of my own estimated trip mpg so I mostly catch it now at the end of a trip. The more you do that, the more you will be able to see and learn how your own driving habits, speed, the temperature, inclement weather or wet/snowy roads, and even altitude gain/loss affects your mpg. Then you are able to adjust your driving habits to taste. For example, if I have a choice, I don't drive while it is raining or on colder days.

You also have an instant mpg graph to look at. I find this almost useless. I did however learn something useful from it. At about 39/40 mph (if you are not still accelerating briskly), you will feel a higher gear kick in (on a flat road). At that point, the instant mpg jumps up quite a bit. Since it is more efficient to drive at that speed than anything lower (while ICE is on), I make it a point to accelerate faster to that speed on city roads than I otherwise would not knowing that to take advantage of the increased efficiency. In particular, the first drive of the day. Once the engine is warm, it is more likely to spend a good portion of low speed city conditions in EV. Quickly getting up to 40 mph also warms the ICE faster.

No way to be sure that my doing this impacts my mpg positively, but makes sense to me. I think many hybrid owners play certain games to increase their mpg. One of the more common ones is to attempt to force the car into EV mode. I used to do this on the highway, but am convinced that while maintaining highway speeds, it is a zero sum game. Not sure about low speed driving, but it is well known that EV is most efficient at city speeds so I do try to baby it the last couple miles of a trip. Doing so immediately impacts my average mpg no matter how many miles on the tank. So with this positive reinforcement, that is a game I continue to play.
Thanks, I think what you do here "I set mine to automatically zero every time I fill the tank", that's make sense to me. I will see if I can find that setting :D
So far, I haven't filled the thank yet. And I don't drive a lot nowadays because of work-from-home, Covid situation, early winter, so the care is just sit in the driveway and I drive around sometimes to learn it. And I will check the other per-trip display as well.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
119 Posts
I have found the calculated & displayed mileage to be very consistent. Notice I didn't say accurate. I record mileage, miles, gas price, $/gal, etc. at every fill-up, with every car I've had in maybe the last 40+ years. Same with the Niro. Mine is a 2019, 2 years old, with somewhat less than 9,000 miles on it, and over this distance the indicated mileage has averaged 7% higher than the actual mileage. I think the displayed mileage is more consistent than measuring at every fillup, as it knows the miles and fuel used precisely (again, not necessarily accurately), and gives consistent values. Using fuel added at fillup is not as consistent, as exactly when the fuel flow stops depends on the design and settings of the pump itself and the nozzle, not to mention whether the users tries to top it up by adding just a bit more. That flow is accurate, but not consistent. Done every single fillup will give you a good answer, but measuring MPG just once using this method, and claiming it's accurate, just isn't (accurate).

Anyhow, as I said, my setup reads 7% higher than actual mileage, so my indicated average of 45.8 is actually closer to 43.0. My wife has a lead foot; what can I say?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
As I top off my tank every fill (I see visible gas in the fill tube that does not drain), I don't have the errors you are referring to. Sure, not common, but even others will over the long term of measuring fills come out more accurately than displayed mpg.

Still, either type of measure will give you a decent representative number to tell you about your ups and downs and help you modify your driving for the better. If I graphed my inaccuracy between the two numbers (I also record what the car thinks it got with every fill), there would be a huge spike at 3 mpg optimistic - which as you have noted is about 7%. However the variance runs between 1 mpg and 6 mpg, a rather large swing that appears to be related to how I used the car over the last 600 miles, long trips versus short trips and temperature/driving condition changes. But not predictable.

The car "knows" how much fuel is pumped by the injectors every time the cylinders fire, at least in new condition at some temperature. However a microscopic error in actual fuel pumped can really add up over millions of cylinder firings. It would be almost impossible to make such a system that is accurate no matter what.

·
Registered
9 Posts

IDK exactly what my MPG is but I have gone from 4 tanks of gas a month to 4 gtanks per year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts