Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now am at 128,700 miles. Filled up an almost empty gas tank the other day. Got back in the car and turned it on. The fuel gauge only went to 3/4 full and the distance to empty was roughly 400 miles. It sat at 3/4 tank and slowly went up over the next 60 miles, but the distance till empty never changed until I drove about 150 miles. Then it started to go down. Still not certain how accurate it is so I filled up today with 200 miles to empty and after filling up it registered 610 miles til empty. I have never seen it that high. It did show as the tank is full. I will keep my eyes on this so I don't get stranded.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
When you filled the tank, did you top it up a few times after the gas line clicked off? I have had this happen on other cars where you have overfilled the gas tank and the computer sensor doesn't know what to do so it doesn't set the display right. The sensor then sends data to the display computer that doesn't match what it has so the display takes a bit to adjust to the correct amount.

As for the distance amount, that is only a guess and it does adjust as you drive. For the first few fill ups I was shown that I would be getting 700km (I live in Canada). Then over winter that dropped down to 650km. Now in the spring, it is up to around 900km for a full tank. it has learnt my driving and carries the statistic of your fuel consumption. This incorrect miles til empty is tied into the last fill up going wonky. it will clear up as you drive and likely be normal after the next fillup.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Probably a one time glitch in the tank sensor. I'd be interested to know how it works. Since the tank is pressurized anyway, perhaps it is testing residual air pressure. I've not left my car on while fueling to see if the gauge moves before closing the cap - which would shoot that theory.

Looks like I've done about 40 tank fills in 15 months of ownership. I've never seen that glitch, and I top off every single fill, so that causation is unlikely. The fuel remaining after filling is reliably 573 miles, which of course is a totally unreliable number. One time in those 40 fills did it read over 600, despite never getting fewer miles out of tanks (over 700 in the summer). That number for me only becomes useful and relatively accurate in the last 100 miles of the tank. Mind you, I've discovered that you can go as much as 60 miles below zero range remaining.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 2018 Niro LX HEV and most of the time when I fuel up the vehicle is not turned off. I have never experienced any kind of rushing air sounds when removing the fuel cap, and the DTE gauge starts going up shortly after starting the refuel process.

·
Super Moderator
1,134 Posts
I believe it's only the PHEV that has a pressurized tank. The owner's manual has different instructions for opening the gas cap for HEV and PHEV cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe it's only the PHEV that has a pressurized tank. The owner's manual has different instructions for opening the gas cap for HEV and PHEV cars.
That's correct. The PHEV uses fuel pressurization instead of a low pressure fuel pump to save weight and minimize the weight gain from the larger battery, electric motor, and hybrid control system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts