Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now am at 128,700 miles. Filled up an almost empty gas tank the other day. Got back in the car and turned it on. The fuel gauge only went to 3/4 full and the distance to empty was roughly 400 miles. It sat at 3/4 tank and slowly went up over the next 60 miles, but the distance till empty never changed until I drove about 150 miles. Then it started to go down. Still not certain how accurate it is so I filled up today with 200 miles to empty and after filling up it registered 610 miles til empty. I have never seen it that high. It did show as the tank is full. I will keep my eyes on this so I don't get stranded.

·
Super Moderator
567 Posts
When you filled the tank, did you top it up a few times after the gas line clicked off? I have had this happen on other cars where you have overfilled the gas tank and the computer sensor doesn't know what to do so it doesn't set the display right. The sensor then sends data to the display computer that doesn't match what it has so the display takes a bit to adjust to the correct amount.

As for the distance amount, that is only a guess and it does adjust as you drive. For the first few fill ups I was shown that I would be getting 700km (I live in Canada). Then over winter that dropped down to 650km. Now in the spring, it is up to around 900km for a full tank. it has learnt my driving and carries the statistic of your fuel consumption. This incorrect miles til empty is tied into the last fill up going wonky. it will clear up as you drive and likely be normal after the next fillup.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Probably a one time glitch in the tank sensor. I'd be interested to know how it works. Since the tank is pressurized anyway, perhaps it is testing residual air pressure. I've not left my car on while fueling to see if the gauge moves before closing the cap - which would shoot that theory.

Looks like I've done about 40 tank fills in 15 months of ownership. I've never seen that glitch, and I top off every single fill, so that causation is unlikely. The fuel remaining after filling is reliably 573 miles, which of course is a totally unreliable number. One time in those 40 fills did it read over 600, despite never getting fewer miles out of tanks (over 700 in the summer). That number for me only becomes useful and relatively accurate in the last 100 miles of the tank. Mind you, I've discovered that you can go as much as 60 miles below zero range remaining.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 2018 Niro LX HEV and most of the time when I fuel up the vehicle is not turned off. I have never experienced any kind of rushing air sounds when removing the fuel cap, and the DTE gauge starts going up shortly after starting the refuel process.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,609 Posts
I believe it's only the PHEV that has a pressurized tank. The owner's manual has different instructions for opening the gas cap for HEV and PHEV cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe it's only the PHEV that has a pressurized tank. The owner's manual has different instructions for opening the gas cap for HEV and PHEV cars.
That's correct. The PHEV uses fuel pressurization instead of a low pressure fuel pump to save weight and minimize the weight gain from the larger battery, electric motor, and hybrid control system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I now am at 128,700 miles. Filled up an almost empty gas tank the other day. Got back in the car and turned it on. The fuel gauge only went to 3/4 full and the distance to empty was roughly 400 miles. It sat at 3/4 tank and slowly went up over the next 60 miles, but the distance till empty never changed until I drove about 150 miles. Then it started to go down. Still not certain how accurate it is so I filled up today with 200 miles to empty and after filling up it registered 610 miles til empty. I have never seen it that high. It did show as the tank is full. I will keep my eyes on this so I don't get stranded.
I purchased my 2019 Kia Niro LX at 28,000 MI and right away when I fill the gas tank I noticed there was the same problem that it would not register the mileage correctly
I had my car taken in because I noticed at the 30 mile Mark when I was going from accelerating to the accelerating but applying my brake at the 30 mph Mark there's a definite type of surge either electrical or gasoline that seems to overpower the transfer into first gear
I took this in immediately under $35,000 miles to have that checked by the Kia dealership and because there were no warning lights they told me that it wasn't an issue and that's just how the cars made I don't buy it it sounds like there's metal scraping in my car
In doing this I also noticed about the 10th time I fill up when it reaches its last gallon of gas the car lets out a kick fart
Because no lights come on the dash for any of these ailments within the car the the dealership workplace chooses to just go over it and say it's not an issue

·
Registered
2023 Sportage EX Hybrid
99 Posts
Run 2 tanks in a row with a bottle of Chevron Techron each. That should help clear up any odd electrical issues with fuel tank sensors. It's the same stuff the dealer will try to sell you for 10 times the price. I mean... it is LITERALLY the same exact stuff, with a Hyundai/Kia label on it. Then, do another bottle at least every 6 months.

·
Registered
2023 Sportage EX Hybrid
99 Posts
I purchased my 2019 Kia Niro LX at 28,000 MI and right away when I fill the gas tank I noticed there was the same problem that it would not register the mileage correctly
I had my car taken in because I noticed at the 30 mile Mark when I was going from accelerating to the accelerating but applying my brake at the 30 mph Mark there's a definite type of surge either electrical or gasoline that seems to overpower the transfer into first gear
I took this in immediately under $35,000 miles to have that checked by the Kia dealership and because there were no warning lights they told me that it wasn't an issue and that's just how the cars made I don't buy it it sounds like there's metal scraping in my car
In doing this I also noticed about the 10th time I fill up when it reaches its last gallon of gas the car lets out a kick fart
Because no lights come on the dash for any of these ailments within the car the the dealership workplace chooses to just go over it and say it's not an issue
If you try to use 2 feet to drive, the accelerator will NOT work. Applying the throttle while having a foot on the brake will only result in braking. Remember Toyota's accelerator problems? Kia does...

If this is your first vehicle with a dual clutch transmission, they're ALL jerky, especially at slow speeds, like parking lots and coming to a stop. I still expect the jerkyness in my new Sportage hybrid, and it's taking a while to adjust to it not happening. The Sportage hybrid has a normal transmission.

I'm not sure what a "kick fart" is, but it sounds like it could be kinda cute. I found that mine would show zero miles to empty, but still have well over a gallon of gas left in the tank when I'd fill up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Run 2 tanks in a row with a bottle of Chevron Techron each. That should help clear up any odd electrical issues with fuel tank sensors. It's the same stuff the dealer will try to sell you for 10 times the price. I mean... it is LITERALLY the same exact stuff, with a Hyundai/Kia label on it. Then, do another bottle at least every 6 months.
Yeah I recently took a cross country trip and had one 'fart' instance. I was filling it full...and I don't appear to have the sensor problem
Only when maybe I drive it too low, to 30 miles left on the gauge. I will try the tip. I'll let you know, thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts