Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just an informative post to confirm you CAN fit a full size OEM tire and rims in the spare trunk space in the Kia Niro regular hybrid (It will not fit in the PHEV and probably will not fit the EV version either).

This is always a question for 99% of new car buyers and nobody really seems to have a good answer. So I got home, took a wheel off, put it in my trunk and it fits. You obviously have to remove and not use the fix-a-flat kit and the foam storage, but once the full size (16") wheel is in, the floor cover fits flush and isn't an issue.

Here's a pic of it in the trunk. I don't have the Touring rims so I'm not 100% sure if it'll fit, but my guess is it will, but may have some upward bulge.

So I tried posting an image of the tire in the trunk, but the forum has an weird rule of not being able to post links until I'm not a new member... so stay tuned and I'll try to update this post with a picture when I'm allowed....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Complete spare tire kit

Thanks for doing the legwork on this. I'm really concerned about driving a car without a spare tire.
Most flats that I've had the tire was unusable and had to be replaced. I'm not too happy about having
to call a tow truck for a flat tire when it's so easy to replace a tire on the road.

I see Kia makes a spare tire kit for the 2017-2019 Niro complete for $249.95. Since this is my first
post I can't post a link but search for:

2017-2019 Kia Niro Spare Tire Kit (M015)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yup, we've all seen it. You can get the identical OEM kit from other sites for $189. Used from a wrecking yard is even better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, just an informative post to confirm you CAN fit a full size OEM tire and rims in the spare trunk space in the Kia Niro regular hybrid (It will not fit in the PHEV and probably will not fit the EV version either).

This is always a question for 99% of new car buyers and nobody really seems to have a good answer. So I got home, took a wheel off, put it in my trunk and it fits. You obviously have to remove and not use the fix-a-flat kit and the foam storage, but once the full size (16") wheel is in, the floor cover fits flush and isn't an issue.

Here's a pic of it in the trunk. I don't have the Touring rims so I'm not 100% sure if it'll fit, but my guess is it will, but may have some upward bulge.

So I tried posting an image of the tire in the trunk, but the forum has an weird rule of not being able to post links until I'm not a new member... so stay tuned and I'll try to update this post with a picture when I'm allowed....
Definitely not in PHEV model the battery is in the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for doing the legwork on this. I'm really concerned about driving a car without a spare tire.
Most flats that I've had the tire was unusable and had to be replaced. I'm not too happy about having
to call a tow truck for a flat tire when it's so easy to replace a tire on the road.

I see Kia makes a spare tire kit for the 2017-2019 Niro complete for $249.95. Since this is my first
post I can't post a link but search for:

2017-2019 Kia Niro Spare Tire Kit (M015)
Yeah... I'm sort of debating between the spare kit or just buying a full size wheel. I found a salvage yard that supposedly has an OEM 16" rim so I may go with that. Last time I had a flat, I had to drive with a doughnut for 4 days before BJ's near me was able to receive a tire.

Yup, we've all seen it. You can get the identical OEM kit from other sites for $189. Used from a wrecking yard is even better.
Are you sure the OEM kit is for full 16" rim? I've only seen and heard of the spare smaller doughnut kit, not a full size kit

Definitely not in PHEV model the battery is in the way.
yeah, the PHEV doesn't have the trunk capacity for it. This post would only be for the regular hybrid

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
No, those kits are for the donut tires. But the HEV will fit a full sized tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just checked out my trunk and discovered that there is no spare tire with the 2019 Niro that I bought this year. I've never heard of a car that didn't come with a spare tire. I just pulled out the foam insert and can see where the tire might fit. But the hatch door for the spare tire doesn't allow for a tire to fit. It barely let me pull out the foam insert. How did you get the spare tire in the hatch door?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,263 Posts
I just checked out my trunk and discovered that there is no spare tire with the 2019 Niro that I bought this year. I've never heard of a car that didn't come with a spare tire. I just pulled out the foam insert and can see where the tire might fit. But the hatch door for the spare tire doesn't allow for a tire to fit. It barely let me pull out the foam insert. How did you get the spare tire in the hatch door?
If you have a PHEV, there's no room for a spare under the cover. The battery takes that space. I thought the HEV came with a spare, but that might have changed. And I don't think the EV comes with one either. And many cars are forgoing a spare tire nowadays. Partially because of the space they take, partly due to the dead weight, and most likely because they can save money. My daughter's Pacifica doesn't have a spare. They just include the DC compressor to inflate a tire which includes some goop that hopefully will patch whatever hole it's leaking though. Naturally, that's worthless for a severe blowout or other significant event. That's when you call for help. Either roadside assistance or a friend to help remove the tire and make a run to a tire store for a replacement.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My 2018 HEV LX version came with no spare just the air compressor and the can of goup.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
120 Posts

I didn't know that until the sales person who sold me the car told me. That was the first thing I noticed when I bought the car. I really don't like it because if I get a flat at night I don't want to wait, I want to change it right away. It's not just KIA is all the other makes. I guess it has to do with weight issues and fuel economy which I don't think it will cause the fuel eco to drop.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
265 Posts
It is commonplace for vehicles to be sold without spares these days. Many manufacturers offer them as options. They have a pump and slime kit for tire repair instead. Cost savings and weight savings have led to the demise of the spare tire.
There are many spare tire kits for sale on ebay and Amazon for the Niro. Most run between $150 to$300.

In our Niro PHEV a spare won't fit so my strategy was to buy a nice tire repair plug kit as well as a spare tire kit - spare, jack and lug wrench. The spare tire stays in the home garage so a family member could bring it if needed. The tire repair kit, jack and lug wrench stay in the vehicle so that any flat can be fixed on the spot. This was the best compromise for our situation. I won't use slime to repair a tire. I have developed a way to secure the spare in the vehicle if I take a long trip however it takes up valuable cargo space on the PHEV. We generally take the larger vehicle our family has on long trips and it does have a spare tire that is stored under the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just solved the problem and bought a space saver spare tire/wheel and jack/tools for my 2019 Kia Niro on eBay for $144 including tax . I didn't need a file size tire and the price is right. The dealership wanted $383 plus tax for the same option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's the one! It was $169.95 at the beginning of the week (and I waited) and then they dropped their price to $132 (including free shipping) a couple days later. I have seen price changes on stuff at Amazon change in price suddenly too. Happy travels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To the question of the spare wheel. Cars delivered to Ukraine have a full-size spare wheel. In my case, it is 16" and it fits perfectly in its place. As my colleagues say, there can fit an 18" wheel and for it, there is a special polyfoam cartridge for a jack and a wheel key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts