Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I figured I would start out my time here with some useful information. I am a former professional mechanic, and have learned a thing or two about internal combustion engines. I have some important advice for anyone who owns any vehicle with an ICE (PHEV Niro especially):

DO NOT SWITCH TO SYNTHETIC OIL UNTIL YOU HAVE CLOCKED AT LEAST 100 HOURS ON THE ENGINE.

I would wait until 200 hours, personally.

The reason is that the piston rings need to wear in a bit to "seat". If you swap straight to synthetic oil, you will prevent this necessary process from taking place, and the engine will develop a smoking habit.

It could be that my info is old school and that new tech makes it obsolete. If you know this to be so, please tell me.

Enjoy driving your emperors,
Jim

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You know the car comes with synthetic oil from the factory, right? I agree and adhered with your policy twenty years ago, but times have changed significantly and engines are built to amazingly better tolerances.

Interesting how there are these competing myths about how synthetic is no better than regular oil changed regularly (some truth there if the change intervals are short enough), and how it is so superior to regular oil that you cannot use it until after engine settles in.

As a fun anecdote, I bought a new PT Cruiser in 2001. Used regular engine oil for perhaps a thousand miles (I'd have to look up my log book - might have gone longer) and then switched to synthetic. It burned a quart of oil like clockwork every 1,500 to 2,000 miles - within factory spec. When I hit 100,000 miles, there was a sudden change and oil consumption dropped to zero. Wild! Mpg remained the same though.

Loving modern vehicles. 7,500 miles on the Niro - ready for first service, no oil used. Same with my 2012 Honda motorcycle after 15,000 miles. Mind you, both are low compression, low power vehicles.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is an old wives tale.

Many brand new cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.
The lubricity is no different, just the composition.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I assume the Niro comes with 0-20 synthetic from the factory. This is like the Gen.3 Prius. My Prius and from what I hear lots of others used no oil between changes until 150k. mi. then started using oil. I think 0-20 is too thin for hot climates, like Fl. I know the Kia dealer that takes care of my Sedona uses 5w-30 oil instead of 0-20, which is what I attend to do with my Niro. I was surprised the Sedona can use 0-20 oil, but unlike Toyota Kia shows a temp. chart with other acceptable weight oils.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's good to know that technology has advanced. For perspective, I haven't had a fresh technical bulletin in my hands since the mid-90s. So I kind of suspected my information could be outdated, but better safe than sorry.

It was definitely NOT an old wives' tale back in the day. Guess I'm an old wife now?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well it's good to know that technology has advanced. For perspective, I haven't had a fresh technical bulletin in my hands since the mid-90s. So I kind of suspected my information could be outdated, but better safe than sorry.

It was definitely NOT an old wives' tale back in the day. Guess I'm an old wife now?
LOL your not alone in the old wife dept. LOL. Now you call the mechanics "technicians" and now you have to be a computer wizard to fix (sorry) change parts on a car.>:) Now you wouldn't have a service bulletin in your hand anyway you just read them on a computer screen.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
For perspective, I haven't had a fresh technical bulletin in my hands since the mid-90s. So I kind of suspected my information could be outdated, but better safe than sorry.
Heard of Google? They didn't exist at all in the mid 90s. But it is sure easy to look up basically anything now. You can also read your current owners manual and note how much things have changed since 1995.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Yes, it was always incorrect.

Lubrication is lubrication, whale oil, dino oil or man-made oil, it all lubricates the same.

My favorite from "back in the day" is bearing skate, the synthetic oil was so slippery that the balls wouldnt rotate and get flat spots. Tell me, if the oil is so slippery that the balls dont rotate, how can they wear out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts