Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am considering making the switch from a larger SUV to the Kia Niro, and I know it is a lot smaller. I have a few small kids, so they take up the entire back seat area with their car seats at the moment. I have a 70-ish pound German Shepherd, and was wondering if there would be enough room for her to comfortably sit in the cargo space because there is definitely not enough room in the back seat for her at the moment. Has anyone had any issues with getting a smaller German Shepherd into the back? Or would it be an uncomfortable fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
I think 70-ish pounds will be pushing the comfort level for the puppy. As much as I like my Niro, I think you'll need to keep looking. Perhaps a Rav4 Prime, assuming you can find one in your area.

·
Registered
582 Posts
How about a Sorento Hybrid? Our local Kia dealer has one.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey guys! I am considering making the switch from a larger SUV to the Kia Niro, and I know it is a lot smaller. I have a few small kids, so they take up the entire back seat area with their car seats at the moment. I have a 70-ish pound German Shepherd, and was wondering if there would be enough room for her to comfortably sit in the cargo space because there is definitely not enough room in the back seat for her at the moment. Has anyone had any issues with getting a smaller German Shepherd into the back? Or would it be an uncomfortable fit?

Yeah, with the rear seats up there isn't a ton of space in the Niro for a big dog. For comparison here's Cooper the 110lb Labradane in the back of our Niro with the seats down. With the seats up it's a tight fit and he basically just has room to stand still, even sitting down is tough for him.

Depends on the dog too. Coop likes to move around and stick his head out the window on the road so the back is not really an option.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
It is very easy to take out the load floor. That gives you a 36" ceiling height with a minimal plywood cover. I think that is about 4-5 inches better than stock. Another 6" is there if your dog is willing to sit in the spare tire well - bigger space than you might imagine as the tire well takes up perhaps 80% of load floor area.

There is also the Mitt Romney solution. Put the dog on a roof rack!

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you have a local FB group, maybe post to see if anyone has a Niro and would be willing to let you pop your pup into their car. I know I'd be happy to meet up with someone to help them test it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have a 85 Lbs Black Lab who is usually the biggest dog in the neighborhood. He fits in just fine. Just throw a blanket over the back bumper to get in and out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts