Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Niro and Android Auto user. Having difficulty opening AA and then connecting it to car. Also, how can I set up the car's Bluetooth to automatically recognize my phone? I have to go into both the phone and the screen to get them connected and sometimes it takes multiple tries. I drive for Uber and would like to know how to get that from my phone to the screen.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm a new Niro and Android Auto user. Having difficulty opening AA and then connecting it to car. Also, how can I set up the car's Bluetooth to automatically recognize my phone? I have to go into both the phone and the screen to get them connected and sometimes it takes multiple tries. I drive for Uber and would like to know how to get that from my phone to the screen.
What model and trim do you have? I have the EX Premium PHEV and haven't had any issues with AA. Bluetooth can be weird especially if you have more than one device paired with the car. Mine is pretty consistent but if my wife drives the car sometimes I have to fiddle with the Bluetooth to get it working again. You also might try a different cable to connect the phone to the car. I have a Pixel 2 and I have had some wonky USB - C to USB A cables cause intermittent connections.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I've had trouble with BT switching handsets in the Niro. And this is on iPhones whose BT is usually easy to use. Back to my original handset that was paired when I bought the car and all is back to normal. I was getting warnings to turn my phone on to use accessories (the car apparently).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found, depending on phones that the OEM cable is the only thing that will give a reliable connection. my new LG G7 keeps disconnecting and cycling the reconnecting attempts with an aftermarket high speed cable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am having inconsistent performance from Android Auto when connected to my phone. It refuses to engage on screen and I have to restart it at least 3 times (takes ~10 minutes) to get it to work. When it does work, the performance is inconsistent as different parts of it work and don't work at different times. Not at all happy with it as it wastes time and is unreliable. Nothing to do with the cable (have tried several) or car port (is clean).

·
Super Moderator
514 Posts
What I would try is to see if you can get someone else with a different phone to give it a try. This way you can at least see if it's a problem with the phone side or the head unit. I have had two different phones with my Niro and had zero issues with either one. The first was an LG G5 running Andriod 8 oreo and later upgraded to 9 pie. My current phone is a Google Pixle 2XL running 10.
My wife as an iPhone and it doens't work at all well. Hers is an iPhone SE, but my daughter has an iPhone XR and it runs without any problems. So don't discount that both sides need to work well with each other.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
An iPhone SE is effectively a smaller 6S, which I own and has no issues. In fact, if the SE had been released at the same time as the 6S (instead of a few months later), I would own it instead. I would suspect lint in the SE Lightning port for that report of not "working well", as I did once have unknowingly on my 6S. The only hint I had was that it didn't always charge - still worked fine for Lightning audio out in my non CarPlay car. It was like a new (and reliable) phone when the port was cleaned out at an Apple store.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I should add that I now own two iPhone 6S (one of which is just for a game that isn't compatible with current OS). The Niro did not play nice with both of them. The initial one worked fine, but the second one kept getting complaints about unlocking it to work with accessories and scattered BT and USB glitches. I think it may be related to how the Niro recognizes handsets. So clearing out registered phones from the Niro and starting over may work better with multiple handsets. So could turning off AA or Carplay in Niro settings (depending on which one you use).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Nexus 6P. My wife has the iPhone 6s. We have an '18 EX with touring package(larger screen, better stereo etc) I find the Niro's software slants more toward carplay integrates more smoothly with the iPhone than the AndroidAuto does with the 6P. The front data USB does not provide enough power to charge the 6P(net loss of battery charge) when I'm listening to music, Maps is running and BT is on. It doesn't integrate well with Niro's UVO app either unlike the Carplay app which doesn't require a ritual to get vehicle info and parking minder to work properly. A bit wonky and very intrusive, you know. I've given up on the AA and shut it off completely in Niro settings. I've discovered that if I just turn BT on in the 6P the phone works handsfree with the car even with AA shut off completely. There's been a recent update to AA promising much better performance but I haven't taken them up on the claimed improvement yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts