Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the post title, I'm getting rid of my Niro. Only made it about 30k miles, hit one deer, and had one tire sliced open by an unknown bit of debris. It never gave me any issues, though it did struggle to maintain 70 mph up a steep pass.
But I want something bigger. Just a little more room, especially in the trunk. So I ordered the Sportage PHEV the day my dealer opened orders. Still sticking with Kia, because the Niro has been a pretty good little car.

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
555 Posts
We appreciate the update on your Niro PHEV. By all reports the Sportage PHEV sounds like a terrific vehicle.
Sportage PHEV apparently is in high demand with many (most?) dealers demanding significantly more than MSRP. Did you get a good price and how long from time of order till delivery.
Hopefully the Sportage will be just as reliable as your Niro. We would love to hear an update on the Sportage after a year of ownership.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get it at MSRP, and the dealer estimated 4-6 weeks, though he then hedged to 12 weeks. I think he is a little optimistic, but we'll see.
Pretty excited, though a part of me wonders if the slightly larger new Niro would have been big enough. Really interested to see what people think when those start rolling out.

·
Registered
2023 Sportage EX Hybrid
99 Posts
Sorry to hear about the demise of your Niro. I should be trading in mine today, providing the dealer can find the keys to the new Sportage hybrid I'm getting... As long as they do find the keys this morning, it'll be taken into the shop first thing to get it prepped, as it was just delivered a few days ago. I believe it's the first hybrid my dealer has gotten. It's an EX base in Gravity Gray, and they're selling it to me for sticker price. I think they're giving me somewhere around 24k for my '21 Niro LX base with 15k miles on it. I can't complain about that. I'll know more details when I go in this morning, providing they find the keys...

I'll miss the 50s MPG range, but will appreciate more power, room and features, plus AWD.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,609 Posts
There are times I regret trading my Niro for the Bolt. I'm thinking strongly of moving back the '23 PHEV. I understand the desire for a bit more room, as I felt that myself. I think the '23 is going to cover that for me, along with the larger battery and more power. I agree with sticking with Kia. My Niro was flawless as well. Although the Bolt has also had no issues, I am still stuck with the bad battery, and being so new it's at the bottom of the stack for getting a replacement.

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
555 Posts
@ RedGeminiPA (& drewesque): Sounds like you got a pretty good deal in today's market. Congrats & enjoy your new rides.
It would be great if you give us a 6 -12 month update on your Sportage.
Actually we almost purchased a Tucson Hybrid Ltd about a year ago but backed out when they wanted 4K over MSRP. Got a 22 Outback Touring for $2K below invoice instead ($7K less than the Tucson -- OB is a great car (our 3rd) but still occasionally wonder if we shudda bit the bullet and bought the Tucson. 🙄
So I suspect there are others here who have considered upgrading to the hybrid / PHEV Sportage or Tucson and we all would love to hear how they perform / hold up in the real world..

·
Registered
2023 Sportage EX Hybrid
99 Posts
I took delivery of it this morning. So far, so good. It is pretty plush, and feels like a very premium vehicle. I'm anxious to get it on the open road for a good run. It should be quite the highway cruiser.

They ended up giving me $25,500 for my '21 Niro LX HEV with 14,700 miles. Original MSRP was $27,305. I'd say that's pretty good. That's part of the reason I jumped on the Sportage, since trade-in values are still pretty high.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As per the post title, I'm getting rid of my Niro. Only made it about 30k miles, hit one deer, and had one tire sliced open by an unknown bit of debris. It never gave me any issues, though it did struggle to maintain 70 mph up a steep pass.
But I want something bigger. Just a little more room, especially in the trunk. So I ordered the Sportage PHEV the day my dealer opened orders. Still sticking with Kia, because the Niro has been a pretty good little car.
The Niro is bigger than my previous car, so I'm pretty happy with it at 66,000 miles. This despite having hit a deer, being rear ended, and having 3 tires sliced open due to road debris.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Niro is bigger than my previous car, so I'm pretty happy with it at 66,000 miles. This despite having hit a deer, being rear ended, and having 3 tires sliced open due to road debris.
Wow, that's a bit rougher set of circumstances than I have had. Glad you are still happy with yours! They're fantastic cars, and I would probably keep mine if I weren't trying to consolidate: I don't really have the room for my pickup, so I am going to trade the Niro and sell the pickup and just have one vehicle that can meet all my needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts