Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Good to be here..Gearbox noise

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  FlNiro 
#1 ·
Hi Nirowners, I bought a 2018 Hybrid just one month ago with 120k kms on the clock but with a warranty for 2 years from a genuine dealer. It does drive beautifully and is so economical but just one small point that annoys me is the awful noise of 1st and 2nd gear, it sounds like a tractor or diesel. I've been back twice to the dealer who assures me this is normal. The gears do change seamlessly and the crossover in normal driving from electric to gas engine is good, it's just the awful roar (even at low speed) that is so annoying. Does anyone else experience this or am I being too fussy?

#3 ·
My 2018 PHEV is among the quietest transmission ever owned.. Your transmission most likely has some sort of planetary gear mis alignment or assembly defect.. Gear sets are very difficult to mass produce with zero noise everytime.. Trans will most likely not give you issue rather complete annoyance. Keep on the dealership- the noise is not normal

#7 ·
Yesterday problem solved... I went out of town to a different KIA service centre, the service manager took me and the car for a 10 minute run and as the original garage had said, there's no problem with the gearbox, but (what the other garage didn't do) he said we'll take a look underneath, They put her on the ramp and within minutes found the problem... a large plastic protective tray that sits under part of the engine had worked loose and at 2500 rpm it picked up vibrations from the engine and in 'sympathy' started to rattle... They tightened it up and now the 'grunting' noise has gone. How nice to find someone who can think outside the box, and ohh yes, no charge... They've got my custom from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.