Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been researching the Niro for a few weeks and ran across this forum this evening. I thought I should join as I'm purchasing a Graphite Edition this coming weekend as my beloved 2007 Optima stretched her timing chain and well... That was the end of that. (anyone interested in an old optima that needs an engine? lol)
I am hoping to receive some insight into the Niro world. I am rather excited about owning a hybrid, as it'll seem like it's from outer space compared to most all the vehicles that I've owned.
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone may give, it's much appreciated.

---Jay

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jay, I bet you're looking forward to the weekend! It's great that you've decided to stick with Kia. How many miles did you have on that Optima before the timing chain went?

·
Registered
360 Posts
You know that if you just get in it and drive, you wont really notice much difference between your old car and the new hybrid. Oh yea, it will be new and have nice stuff, but the idea of the hybrid is to be practically invisible to the end user.

After a while, you'll start noticing some differences that you can exploit to get even better MPG's, but seriously...if you just drive it like the old car, you'll easily get 45 - 50 mpg without even trying.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Jay, I bet you're looking forward to the weekend! It's great that you've decided to stick with Kia. How many miles did you have on that Optima before the timing chain went?
Thank you! I will absolutely stick with Kia. Amazing warranty, great reliability, can't go wrong.

The optima had only 122,000 miles on it roughly. Unbeknownst to me it had quickly leaked oil from the valve cover gasket. Over a few days I had been doing some long distance driving, back and forth between cities. I most always keep up on oil levels but did not realize it had lost as much oil as it had, being very busy with those trips. Low oil>hydraulic tensioner>loose timing chain>interference engine... BANG! I am such a dolt to allow that to happen. The Optima was perfectly fine until then. I killed the Kia, lol.

Suffice to say, that was a one time mistake. Never again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know that if you just get in it and drive, you wont really notice much difference between your old car and the new hybrid. Oh yea, it will be new and have nice stuff, but the idea of the hybrid is to be practically invisible to the end user.

After a while, you'll start noticing some differences that you can exploit to get even better MPG's, but seriously...if you just drive it like the old car, you'll easily get 45 - 50 mpg without even trying.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I am very much looking forward to driving it. I don't anticipate any complaints but am very excited about the MPG!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts