Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Morning drive down the Foothills.

Neo

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I saw the same when I coasted down Ski Hill Road in Wy for 6 miles in my sister's Sonata hybrid. Hybrids are good in this environment because not only do you get free power but you save your brakes from overheating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since the transition from regenerative braking to actually using the brakes is so good on this car, how does one know where that point is? Does the charging gauge give any indication? I too want to get as much FREE power as possible going down long hills, but without using the brakes on the car. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Personally I notice very little (what I called Engine Braking) on the Hybrid when leting off accelerator flat ground or down hill. It coasts freely in my opinion.

Have gone to sport mode for some downhill braking if you can catch it early enough to stay in lower gear as it will not shift back to lower gear if speed is all ready excessive. You can of course brake to slow down and then shift down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlueEX and PaulRides,

Let me see if I can address and comment on both of your comments in one reply ;)

The Niro definitely goes into a regen/charging mode as soon as you let off the gas. You can see this by the needle dipping into the Charge area. I can feel this because for 10 to 15 minutes I am going downhill and the charging keeps me at about 40-45 mph. This the same thing I can do with my manual transmission Jetta in 4th gear and using the engine instead of charging a battery. During this descent, the engine is off and the car is in the EV mode, yep for a full 15 minutes if not more. You betcha.

When braking, I noticed that the needle hits the little transition point to the thicker line in charging. I am guessing that system increases the power generation of the motor when you press the brakes. I appears to me that pressing the brakes also applies the brakes. It's a pedal attached to a hydraulic master cylinder, so the hydraulics move the brake calipers as soon as you hit the brakes. And, that is a good thing from a safety perspective. But, you definitely need less braking from the calipers thanks to the motor attached, so I see the key as using as little braking as necessary going downhill to save your brakes, but not avoiding using them, because the charging really picks up when you apply the brakes.

Just my observations. Your mileage may vary.

Neo

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got my Niro a few days ago. Tomorrow I'll be taking a 3 hour trip to a nearby town, but there is a major mountain pass to deal with.
I'll certainly be working the ICE going up but on the downhill side I expect that I'll see the 100% charge also.
I have to think that it will be almost totally EV for those 30 kms! After that just normal rise and fall in terrain.

I'll post back if there is anything interesting to report.

I do remember reading the 'Guiness Record' report but they didn't seem to advise anything of significance on traveling over mountain passes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

Yep, I believe you too will feel the joy of a full battery :)

Neo

·
Registered
444 Posts
Full Battery ---

What I found one time when battery got to 75% from doing a long gradual downhill was not big deal, because very soon after reaching level ground and using the accelerator (gas pedal) the battery soon went back to the 50% range (50% is the design goal according to a reply from NIRO Customer Service and you may see 40% to 75%).

I guess on a long downhill, see 100% as the post above indicated.

I betcha you are going to see 50 to 52 MPG pretty much no matter what you do (assuming you are not a real lead foot). I say that because that is what I have gotten over a 4000 mile plus use (an EX Model purchased in FEB 2017).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still on my first tank

A day after picking mine up I took a 5,000 km trip in Eastern Canada and the USA in a rented Civic with CVT. Low seats and the CVT were real turnoffs.

Now back and trying it out almost daily I'm impressed. Peppy enough, my other car is a Miata, Sport mode gives great acceleration and better braking and the economy seems not to suffer 5.1 L per 100 km. The SX Touring in Ocean Blue has people commenting on appearance. The 225 45R tires allow for some impressive cornering at highly illegal speeds.
Love the cooling seats in our recent 34 deg heat
Range of 850 km yet to fill up.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have my Niro since February. Just turned 8000 miles on the odometer. I average at fill-up about 52.5 miles per gallon overall. I'm expecting this to dip a bit during the colder months, as is the case with Hybrids and Electrics. Couldn't be happier, though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I finally did my trip over two mountain passes ( 2 there and 2 back!) and I got a good indication of the cars performance.

It's no corvette but it went over both passes at 60 mph (100 kmh here in Canada). At the end of the trip I could confidently say that the fuel mileage was almost a wash .... that is, it used more fuel going up, but I had a lot of free miles on the downhill sides. I even saw that the 'km remaining' estimate actually increases the longer you drive in pure EV. I saw 100% charge 4 different times and it really stretches out the free miles.

I'm even happier that I bought the Niro.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I finally did my trip over two mountain passes ( 2 there and 2 back!) and I got a good indication of the cars performance.

It's no corvette but it went over both passes at 60 mph (100 kmh here in Canada). At the end of the trip I could confidently say that the fuel mileage was almost a wash .... that is, it used more fuel going up, but I had a lot of free miles on the downhill sides. I even saw that the 'km remaining' estimate actually increases the longer you drive in pure EV. I saw 100% charge 4 different times and it really stretches out the free miles.

I'm even happier that I bought the Niro.
So know bogging down on the uphill and no cars being slowed down behind you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts