Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Deep Cerulean PHEV Niro
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post!

I have been lurking in the background prior and after purchasing a Niro EV. Thank you all for the great discussions I’ve read over and insights I’ve learned from this forum.

I have been curious about paddle shift extensions on the steering wheel. Most of the time my hands are not at “3+9” on the wheel and I am fairly active in adjusting the regenerative breaking during the course of a drive.

Has anyone else put these on the car and are they happy with them? If so, what model of extender did you use that fits the Niro as I have not had much luck in finding ones that say they fit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually the left will be more 10-11 and the right will be about 5, moving up to hit the turn signal when needed.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV Deep Cerulean Blue
109 Posts
Way back before cars had antilock brakes, even before cell phones and the internet, drivers were taught to drive with hands at 10 and 2 o’clock since it was deemed the safest. With the advent of airbags and the explosive up and out pattern of deployment either 9 and 3 or 8 and 4 o’clock positions are now recommended.

I try to do the 8-4 or 9-3 arrangement when driving. If I can’t reach the paddles when at 8-4 while regenerative braking I will move both hands closer to 9 and 3, then when at a complete stop or when engine braking is no longer needed move my hands back.

I like to have left and right hands mirror each other so my initial emergency maneuver can result in the same amount of steering wheel movement in either direction.

I wonder If you moved your hands to 10 and 4 you could engage the paddles with your right ring or little finger and the right with your index. I think extensions to the paddles will likely fail due to either mechanical fatigue of the extension material or of the adhesive used due to repeated torque exerted by the extension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankfully, I have not had the experience of a deployed airbag.

I feel, as you mentioned, that an adhesive based extender may fail over time. Looking at the Niro paddles a bit closer, the physical replacement appears to be a bit more involved compared to the simple pin extraction and replacement of some shifters, such as VW.

Will probably just need to retrain my driving posture and enjoy the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts