Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, KIA Connect, EPB, StdGen5W
176 Posts
Important is to have an automatic shutdown for the dash cam if the battery runs down in parking mode.
My dash cam has build in an adjustable switch off, if the voltage goes down below 12V.
If my car is running the cam gets 14,5V.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Niro EX Premium "NON-PLUG-IN - Saved $10K and the extension cord for the Christmas lights."
31 Posts
Just bought the mirror clip-on VanTop H612T 12” 4K (front camera) Mirror Dash Cam with Voice Control Full Touch Screen Rear View Mirror Camera, GPS Tracking, Waterproof Backup Camera 2.5K Max, 8MP Sony Sensor for Super Night Vision. Was on sale for $119 through Amazon. Hope/Wish the next generation model will also have a 4K rear camera and HomeLink. No plans to tap into the reverse wiring, just want the rear camera for the much wider view for monitoring and recording.

Will install it within the next two weeks with plans to fish the rear camera wire through the middle of the headliner, mount the the reverse camera inside the vehicle on the rear headliner's plastic trim bezel and power it up using the 12V plug (had issues with the HEV 12V battery draining while an OBD device was left plugged into the port). At least I'll have the wires in place for the next model.

also

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought a dash cam and although it is more of a budget one, I have been really happy with it. Cant for the life of me remember who makes it. What I was surprised with the most is how often it catches things. I’ve only had it in my Niro for a month but have already caught a city bus running a red light(had been red for 20 seconds), a truck loosing his load out of the bed of his truck, a pickup truck using air horns to bully other drivers, and many close calls from people pulling out in front of me. It is crazy!!!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
250 Posts
I know you can just let the dash cam power cord just hang from the cam unit mounted on the windshield down to the power plug below but that’s kind of messy. I’m wondering how much of a pain it is to route the power cord from the windshield down the A Pillar and into the space under the dash.

Anybody do this yet?

Plus bonus points if someone has installed the rear mounted cam and hid those wires.
I tried doing that but it was gonna cost me a lot of money. What I did was buy a dash cam along with a
Universal Dash Cam Mount Rear View Mirror Holder which you can install this mount in the rear view mirror and it works. Its steady and it wont fall off.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV SX
19 Posts
On day one of receiving my new 2020 Niro EV SX I installed a dual Vantrue camera and with trepidation I took all the panels off from front to back to install both cameras. If you have only a front dashcam then that's easy. One panel on the side of the windshield and two down below. Remove the side panel on the dash first since there is a hidden screw for the panel below the steering wheel which is held on by two screws. Choose a 10amp fuse that's comes on with ignition for the positive and the ground screw is obvious down the side door post. If you get the optional hardwire kit from for the Vantrue then excellent instructions and hardware come with it. The rear camera installation is a little more difficult but worth it. Don't be afraid of removing the many panels. Work from back to front, first removing those around the tailgate rear window. Mount the rear camera first then feed the wire through the concertina hose on the left, then down through the left panel you've removed in the trunk (Screws and snaps). Now remove all the panels along the left-side up to the front kick panel. Don't be afraid the panels snap off but you may think not easily. The one aside the rear seat is the worst. Now thread the wire along and connect to fuse panel. Reinstall the panels and enjoy a smile of satisfaction for a job well done. I think dashcams are essential in this day and age and a rear cam is a bonus you'll want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know you can just let the dash cam power cord just hang from the cam unit mounted on the windshield down to the power plug below but that’s kind of messy. I’m wondering how much of a pain it is to route the power cord from the windshield down the A Pillar and into the space under the dash.

Anybody do this yet?

Plus bonus points if someone has installed the rear mounted cam and hid those wires.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts