Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the official homelink mirror? I had it installed last week.

Is it supposed to work with the ignition off? I can't open or close the garage unless it's on. My other kia with homelink doesn't require the ignition to be on for it to work. I asked the dealer and they said that's the only way it works, there is no wiring in it for constant because it would just drain my battery. I don't have the actual install instructions only the quick user reference manual.

One other issue, I'm having a hard time getting it to actually open and close my garage. I get it programmed and it will work 1 or 2 times then it just doesn't work. Or I have to hold it for 20 seconds and it will open the garage or it will go into program mode again because I held the button too long.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone installed the official homelink mirror? I had it installed last week.

Is it supposed to work with the ignition off? I can't open or close the garage unless it's on. My other kia with homelink doesn't require the ignition to be on for it to work. I asked the dealer and they said that's the only way it works, there is no wiring in it for constant because it would just drain my battery. I don't have the actual install instructions only the quick user reference manual.

One other issue, I'm having a hard time getting it to actually open and close my garage. I get it programmed and it will work 1 or 2 times then it just doesn't work. Or I have to hold it for 20 seconds and it will open the garage or it will go into program mode again because I held the button too long.
I just installed the Auto Dimming mirror w/ HL-4 and Compass in my Optima. There were three wires, one for the Hot, one for the On position and a Ground. The Hot should draw very little current, it's there for the HL and keeps the calibration for the Compass. You need to get a hold of the Installation instructions. Since you paid for it, ask who ever installed to give it to you. Something does not seem right with your Auto Dimming Mirror....................

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you had the OEM auto dimming mirror, there isn't a constant 12v line in the original wiring harness, only switched 12V, ground and reverse signal. I wired in a new homelink mirrror with compass for a Rio. Haven't lost programming, need to use with ignition on, and compass holds calibration no problem. You should let the installer know about the problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
But... there is NO continuous 12 volt in the mirror. It's IMHO due to the fact the Niro has a 12 volt battery the size of a medium size hard cover book. There are only a few places that 12 volts on all the time are available, and you would have to run a wire up to the mirror if you wanted a fully functioning mirror!!
However interesting side note, I just found this URL on a Kia Niro: Charging System / Auxiliary 12V Battery system, ohhh, I want one!

Kia Niro : Auxiliary 12V Battery Repair procedures : Charging System

If I am ever going to properly install 2 way radios in my car, I need a second battery. this will be worth looking into to see if I can figure out to install this in my EX!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so maybe its installed correctly. I just wish I didn't have to turn the car on in the garage to open the garage but I guess most of the time the niro engine doesn't actually turn on until later. So I'm not gonna fill the garage with carbon monoxide.

And I have reprogramed the mirror about 5 or 6 times so far but tonight it actually opened and closed when I left and came home for the first time without incident.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
No switch by the door as you enter your garage to open the door? Bizarre, but if true, will cost only a couple of dollars to put one there. That solves that issue when taking the car out, or closing the door when parking. Or you could clip a remote to your passenger side sunscreen. Both of those seem far preferable to the hassle you are going through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts