Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to drive from LA to Boston in my Niro. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased the optional spare tire kit and if they have any comments about storing it in the car. I have the Touring package, and there is a fix a flat pump under the floor in the back but an actual spare would relieve a bit of anxiety.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is this mini spare exclusive to the Niro or is it the same spare as another model....say a Sorrento or even a Hyundai Tucson or Elantra?
If so, there must be thousands of these kicking around.
My model (EX Premium in Canada) comes with the 16" rims.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So glad I did!

I purchased the spare tire kit at the dealer and paid $325 for it. Darn! Should have ordered online. Anyway I am SOOOOOO happy I did because when I was driving home from work with my 3 week old car with under 700 miles on it, I caught a 3/8" thick piece of aluminium tube which pierced the tire and resulted in a complete loss of pressure in seconds. The patch kit would have been useless for that! as the other user stated, the compact spare kit fits perfectly under the storage tray. You also end up with two tow hooks and screwdrivers! Yaaay!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a touring here are some pics. You basically take out the kit currently in there and put in this one. You can store the pump kit on the tray just to have the two options. Here is where I purchased it.

OEM 2017 Kia Niro Factory Spare Tire Kit # G5F40-AK920 for vehicles with 16 inch, 17inch, or 18 inch Wheels. Complete Kit includes Spare Tire, 16" Steel Wheel, Jack, Lug Wrench, Bar Tool, Tire Pressure Label, & Tool Organizer
Bought mine same place OEMKIASUPERSTORE long ago and posted a thread with pictures. Don't remember what I paid (more or less than $189 - don't know). I would have to go back to the thread and look.

I do remember I checked with dealer and it was much higher.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ordered mine this week from the OEM Kia Superstore for $189. The arguments in favor are pretty compelling, especially the blowout part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there room in the tire compartment for an actural tire 205/60R/16. I know actural weight is heaver but will it fit in the tire well compartment?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Worst case scenario is that the divider sits right on the tire which at that point will just create a slight bulge in the trunk. Not a problem for me. But getting a board that can level out the entire trunk area should make it look "OEM"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks I think I will do that. Been thinking that if a tire needs to be repaired then it's an additional cost but if you already have a full size spare you can replace it when you get home or right there. I looked at tires and plain jane wheels and new tire will cost at est. $100+. All in all sounds a lot less stressful and reasonable. Looked at Discount Tires with warranty.

Worst case scenario is that the divider sits right on the tire which at that point will just create a slight bulge in the trunk. Not a problem for me. But getting a board that can level out the entire trunk area should make it look "OEM"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes there is room, read on…

The spare tire kit is a minimum must have for peace of mind particularly if you commute 120 miles a day like me.

Onto the story, my Niro is less under a month old and I just bought and installed the same spare kit mentioned previously roughly 5 days ago. 1.5 hours into a 6 hour drive we suffered a Driver’s side rear sidewall blowout while crossing a long bridge. The Niro had @1400 miles on it at the time and without that spare kit it would have been a different kind of evening. For this type of tire failure the inflator and can of goo option would be useless.

After getting the spare installed this was the perfect time to verify that indeed, a full sized Niro tire (205/60R16) on the rim fits just fine in the spare tire well, it locks in just like the temp spare and the tool kit fits great inside the rim. It’s a bit taller than the temp donut so the top layer high-density foam cubby-caddy was removed to close the cover panel.

I intend to purchase a full sized tire and rim, either alloy like the OEM or the appropriate Steel size and go with a full sized spare in the future. I’m not sure yet if I’ll go all the way and install a TPMS sensor too?

Thankfully the nearest dealer was about 6 miles away and 1.5 hours later we were on the road again.

Kudos to Michelin who, after fact, agreed to pay for the tire and installation fees under warranty via check. Not sure why the dealer couldn’t have done that but still very happy the OEM tire manufacturer is taking care of it.

A cautionary aside, multiple Tire folks I’ve talked with claim that if you were able to use the inflator and goo to repair your tire temporality due to puncture it generally renders both the tire and TPMS useless after the fact. Meaning that sooner or later when you have the tire serviced you’ll need to replace both the tire and sensor.

Why didn’t the dealer/sales guy where bought the Niro from offer me the spare tire kit in exchange plus an upcharge to cover the delta and just install the spare tire kit right at point of purchase when I asked him?? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Love the car and getting @ 45-50.5 MPG so far.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ordered mine 3 weeks ago week from the OEM Kia Superstore for $189. Good price, shipped promptly, and fits like a glove in the back.
It's a much smarter way to get yourself out of trouble! I also ordered a 10" breaker bar, a 18" Torque wrench, and a 21mm socket! Now I'm all set, but I suppose Mr Murphy will never let mt use them, hope so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know if the wheel and tire can be purchased alone? I have the jack and lugnut socket with a breaker bar already.
I'd prefer the full size over the temporary.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yup, buy a rim and a tire. Might as well get a used rim, and used tire. No reason to have new on a spare. New rim is around $100 for steel, used half that at a wrecking yard. New tire $100 plus, good used tire maybe $40.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great ideas. Thinking now about getting a full size tire as well. As we are planning a big road trip in the summer. Most likely without any dealers nearby....
The oemkiasuperstore is not really an option for me as the shipping cost + import taxes and fees more then doubles the price. So will likely source locally. How do I find out what wheel I need? I have the 16" rims on my Niro with the plastic wheel covers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other odd thing to note, at least on my 2018 Niro LX the factory lug nuts and the dealer provided McGard wheel locks require slightly different sized socket. They are close but not identical, sorry I don't recall the exact sizes off-hand.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One other odd thing to note, at least on my 2018 Niro LX the factory lug nuts and the dealer provided McGard wheel locks require slightly different sized socket. They are close but not identical, sorry I don't recall the exact sizes off-hand.
I have noted on my EX, the 21mm socket will fit the lug nuts, and fit the adapter key for the wheel lock nuts!
Perfect, and the breaker bar works better than any lug wrench I have ever owned!

·
Registered
85 Posts
FYI, lots of eBay vendors selling this spare kit for the same price. If you can find one in your country, you can potentially avoid the high shipping + import fees...

·
Registered
173 Posts
FYI, lots of eBay vendors selling this spare kit for the same price. If you can find one in your country, you can potentially avoid the high shipping + import fees...
https://www.oemkiasuperstore.com/Niro_Spare_Tire_Kit_p/g5f40-ak920-and-ukh16-12580t.htm
Kia Niro Factory Spare Tire Kit (2017 & 2018 models)

List Price: $250.00
Our Price: $199.99
Deal of the Day Price: $189.99

This item qualifies for FREE SHIPPING!

Pass on eBay, go to oemkiasuperstore, free shipping..... in stock, fast service, very happy with my purchase!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts