Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
If you place any sort of mat on the top of the dash, make sure you don't cover anywhere an air bag might be stored, specifically on the passenger side. I can't tell from that image if it's too large in that area.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
If you place any sort of mat on the top of the dash, make sure you don't cover anywhere an air bag might be stored, specifically on the passenger side. I can't tell from that image if it's too large in that area.
That is a good point. I would assume the air bag blows out toward the passenger from the dash and while it will likely cause some damage to the cover, I expect the cover will be pushed toward the windshield and not impede the air bag or be thrown back at the passenger.

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
48 Posts
Has anyone put something similar to these on and did it help ?
Maybe similar. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N9G37BD/

Even though Amazon told me “!This does not fit 2022 Kia Niro EV”, I bought it anyway for $29 (free shipping and returns)--- and it fit. It does not slide around. There are no Velcro tabs. It’s pretty nice for being cheap. The only thing covered up was the green charging lights. In the dark I can see the lights a little anyway through the vent holes. But during the day, at a DC charger, as a courtesy, I pull the cover back 3” so outside people can see the charge LEDs. The auto-defrost still works great.

At the correct angle of the sun, I do see reflection of some of the small stamped-out holes. But this hasn’t bothered me since this is down where the windshield meets the dashboard. Furthermore, the reflection goes away when the road deviates just a few degrees.

With this dash cover, I was hoping to minimize windshield film buildup. After 6 weeks, I haven’t seen any buildup. I was also hoping the dash wouldn’t absorb all the sun heat/rays; i.e., let this dash cover take the brunt. Also it seems (by my highly-scientific perception) my car has not heated up as much in parking lots.

Ironically, Amazon is always wrong on my car purchases. E.g. the cabin filters, it said would fit my iMiev, were grossly oversized.
Just my 2 cents…

-Barry

·
Registered
12 Posts
The worse time of year for glare seems to be when the sun is lower in the horizon. I suspect owners in more northern latitudes will have more issues with glare. My glare is bad in spring and fall. Not bad during the summer months as the sun is more overhead the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up just getting the cheap mat from amazon, fits pretty good but mine was also missing the cutout for the battery charging lights but only took a minute for make a cutout for it. No glare or reflection on the windshield at all now.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting White
Hood Automotive tire Window Automotive mirror Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Black

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
48 Posts

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
48 Posts
Any ideas for covering or dulling the shiny fake chrome strip below the display?
For my 2022 EV it's not shiny. It's more diffused. I haven't got into a situation where the sun has reflected off it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw someone, maybe on the facebook group, who used a roll of something like carbon fiber looking tape. It looked pretty good for what they said was their first attempt. You could see a silver gap in a few spots but I'm sure it worked great.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
Any ideas for covering or dulling the shiny fake chrome strip below the display?
Yeah, some sort of matte tape is probably the best solution. It does sound like they improved it for 2022, and the '23 will have a completely different dash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts