Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Las Vegas, I'm a new registered and I've been wanting to change my halogen headlight bulbs to LEDs. Does any know if it's possible? Usually on reflector headlights it is no problem but since the Niro has projection headlights I don't know how to take the bulbs out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the first things I did to the car was replace the standard bulbs with LEDs.

Front headlights I tried an HID retrofit kit (35watt) it worked fine, then I found a set of Phillips LED bulbs that fit in and IMO provide better light than the stock bulbs and even the HID set. Biggest bang for the $ was also replacing the Fog light bulbs with LEDs.

Also changed the interior bulbs to LED, gives a brighter light and nice effect. Can't understand why a tech car like this came with old school bulbs, other than saving a few $$

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been wanting to do this but been hesitant since I've never changed over to LED and lack of videos on YouTube for the Niro.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
One of the first things I did to the car was replace the standard bulbs with LEDs.

Front headlights I tried an HID retrofit kit (35watt) it worked fine, then I found a set of Phillips LED bulbs that fit in and IMO provide better light than the stock bulbs and even the HID set. Biggest bang for the $ was also replacing the Fog light bulbs with LEDs.

Also changed the interior bulbs to LED, gives a brighter light and nice effect. Can't understand why a tech car like this came with old school bulbs, other than saving a few $$
I'd also like the bulb numbers. Did you have to modify anything to get the heat sink to fit?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The bulb # for hi/low headlight are 9005
Fog light was a H8

When looking I tried to find a 9005 with a small footprint and no fan as I knew space was limited inside the headlight. FYI it's an easy change over for the headlights, for the fog bulbs I went thru the inner wheel well removing a 3 of the plastic push rivets, it took about 10 mins each. Changing out the fog bulbs gave so much more light, and reduced power consumption by 1/2 too. Well worth the small cost, and there is no space concerns with the fogs, as there is with the headlights. I've been running these about 6 months now and just love them. I forgot to mention I did try the HIR bulbs prior to trying HID in the headlights, both were improvements to the stock bulb, but not as much as I hoped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is what I installed

Sorry the forum doesn't seem to allow me to link to it.

But Google Phillips 9005 LED you can see them, they were about $100 at Tire Rack - doesn't appear they sell them anymore. Guessing it's hard to compete with the $15-30 ones flooding the market

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I want to replace the low beam headlight to LED. I know what I need is 9005 bulbs, do I need anything else?
Error cancelling decoder/CANBUS/ anti flickering device...

I want to buy LEDs from jdm astar, which model should I go for N1, G4 or T1?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We don't know your trim or even your country! I'd suggest searching this forum and the Ioniq forum (same headlights) for how to threads. There are several, and it generally requires more than just a bulb replacement. LEDs just don't fit without another piece added - from reading those threads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, I want to replace the low beam headlight to LED. I know what I need is 9005 bulbs, do I need anything else?
Error cancelling decoder/CANBUS/ anti flickering device...

I want to buy LEDs from jdm astar, which model should I go for N1, G4 or T1?

Thanks
I just replaced my headlights with LEDs and they were really easy to replace. If you get good quality LEDs you shouldn't have to worry about any error codes or anti-flickering devices. There are a lot of brands out there and many appear to be cheap knockoff's. I wouldn't buy any unless they have some kind of warranty and explicitly state they use a Phillips or CREE chip.

to replace, just do the following;
Pop the hood, take off the headlight covers to access the bulb, rotate and take out the bulb and disconnect from the power connector. reverse these steps to put in your LEDs and you're golden.

my LED fog lights should come in the mail today. I'll post some quick steps to replace those after i complete my replacement tonight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Steps?

. my LED fog lights should come in the mail today. I'll post some quick steps to replace those after i complete my replacement tonight.
I want to do my foglights too. Got pics?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want to do my foglights too. Got pics?
See below.

Hi @hackenfort, thanks for the info. I'm planning to change the headlights and fog lights as well.

Did you change the reverse/back up lights? If so, are they T10 and easy to change?
I changed my backup lights (size: 921). First I tried some Philips ones from PepBoys (just to do it quick), but they didn't fit due to a small bit of plastic they designed in the way for our sockets. I went online and ordered a set from ALLA Lighting on amazon (they are super-slim on a flat exposed chip). I also used their H8 fog lights (no issues).

After having trouble with a warning code w/ LED headlights (CATIZON bulbs and XtremeVision capacitor/resistor/CANBUS), I am trying the ALLA headlights and also ordered a diff. brand of capacitor/resistor/CANBUS. They should arrive tomorrow.

Thought I had a pic of the back-up/reverse lights but I don't. I do, however, have the fog lights (and the headlights that throw the error code), along with their pattern ahead.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts