Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

just signed up here because i'm considering a niro and we just got a loaner overnight from the dealership. we just had an ioniq on loan and have narrowed it down most likely between these two. the overnight loaners are great to let the wife experience during normal commute and around town.

for a little context our current cars are a 2005 honda element (me), and a 2008 mazda 3 hatchback. We are very much lovers of interior space and insistent on being able to access it all-together (no sedans). we like teh space and interior of an SUV or a crossover, but never would agree to give up that much MPG, i agree with the sentiment that people buy cars that are woefully overpowered for their use, but we do highly value cabin space and ability to load up on an ikea trip or something similar. we have rental properties and the ability to load up a car with tools/shopvac/etc is of value, and really the "hurricane scenario" of loading up your life and getting out of dodge. the hurricane scenario is really the definition of "range anxiety" when you don't know when the next gas station will have gas available. we never have a need for all wheel drive, or towing boats around or whatever, but we occasionally load up bikes or something and will just not ever be sedan people.

i don't want to crap on crossovers or SUV's wholesale, because that body style and interior space is right up our alley, but we're never going to buy anything that mpg starts with a 1, and now with the hybrids/phevs, with a 2, and maybe even a 3. But some of the phev crossover things that are possibly on the horizon are very much up our alley, like whatever toyota is cooking up to replace the prius-v (although we didn't like the used prius-v's we've tried) there is a mitsubishi phev that's interesting too, but then the prices are going a lot higher, but niro and ioniq are a perfect compromise for our kinda use, and we're kinda just trying to figure out the details to get us across the finish line on one or the other.

interested in real MPG of niro vs ioniq as they're the same drivetrain, but niro heavier and less aerodynamic.

edited to add: we'd probably prefer a pHEV of these cars, but they seem impossible to get down here in florida...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi all,

just signed up here because i'm considering a niro and we just got a loaner overnight from the dealership. we just had an ioniq on loan and have narrowed it down most likely between these two. the overnight loaners are great to let the wife experience during normal commute and around town.

for a little context our current cars are a 2005 honda element (me), and a 2008 mazda 3 hatchback. We are very much lovers of interior space and insistent on being able to access it all-together (no sedans). we like teh space and interior of an SUV or a crossover, but never would agree to give up that much MPG, i agree with the sentiment that people buy cars that are woefully overpowered for their use, but we do highly value cabin space and ability to load up on an ikea trip or something similar. we have rental properties and the ability to load up a car with tools/shopvac/etc is of value, and really the "hurricane scenario" of loading up your life and getting out of dodge. the hurricane scenario is really the definition of "range anxiety" when you don't know when the next gas station will have gas available. we never have a need for all wheel drive, or towing boats around or whatever, but we occasionally load up bikes or something and will just not ever be sedan people.

i don't want to crap on crossovers or SUV's wholesale, because that body style and interior space is right up our alley, but we're never going to buy anything that mpg starts with a 1, and now with the hybrids/phevs, with a 2, and maybe even a 3. But some of the phev crossover things that are possibly on the horizon are very much up our alley, like whatever toyota is cooking up to replace the prius-v (although we didn't like the used prius-v's we've tried) there is a mitsubishi phev that's interesting too, but then the prices are going a lot higher, but niro and ioniq are a perfect compromise for our kinda use, and we're kinda just trying to figure out the details to get us across the finish line on one or the other.

interested in real MPG of niro vs ioniq as they're the same drivetrain, but niro heavier and less aerodynamic.

edited to add: we'd probably prefer a pHEV of these cars, but they seem impossible to get down here in florida...
we also liked the ioniq but bought the niro because I'm getting too old to bend down into a sedan.

Yes, niro phev hard to find. We had to buy out of state.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Most of us Niro owners are getting mpgs in the 4x+ numbers. LX and under and the PHEV even better. I'm a bit on the mid part of the 40+ scale as you can see from my Fuelly sig...but that's cuz I went with the Touring comfort factor oh and I like the fact that it comes in one flavor ie. loaded. I have a buddy that just got the PHEV and I'll be checking his likes and dislikes as he bonds with it. Nice that you could do a longer test as opposed to the dealer dance. I was able to rent a Ford C-Max for a couple of days which helped me decide on that in my last lease. Having said that I was blown away by my Touring dealer test. KIA has made an impressive vehicle. The Niro will fulfill the cargo space check box much more than the Ioniq which seems very Prius like in its form factor. Cargo space is limited by the rear roof slope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of us Niro owners are getting mpgs in the 4x+ numbers. LX and under and the PHEV even better. I'm a bit on the mid part of the 40+ scale as you can see from my Fuelly sig...but that's cuz I went with the Touring comfort factor oh and I like the fact that it comes in one flavor ie. loaded. I have a buddy that just got the PHEV and I'll be checking his likes and dislikes as he bonds with it. Nice that you could do a longer test as opposed to the dealer dance. I was able to rent a Ford C-Max for a couple of days which helped me decide on that in my last lease. Having said that I was blown away by my Touring dealer test. KIA has made an impressive vehicle. The Niro will fulfill the cargo space check box much more than the Ioniq which seems very Prius like in its form factor. Cargo space is limited by the rear roof slope.
thanks, unfortunately, I can't see your signature because of a 10 post rule to see signatures... was the same on ioniq forum...

·
Registered
27 Posts
A brand new (just over a week) Niro PHEV owner. Like charlesH said, one of my requirements was how easy it was to get in and out of the car. I'm not even 'that' old (not 50 yet), but those little sedans are just too hard to get in and out of for me.

The Niro seems to have decent cargo space, but I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed in cabin space. I'm struggling to find a place to keep a tissue box (I need one far too often to not have one on hand in car), and I miss my little nook for frequent shopper cards and change like I used to use in my 2005 Toyota Highlander (what I gave up for the Niro).

If an overnight borrow...try to utilize the cabin space as you would normally (put in stuff you normally would keep) and see if it meets your needs.

MPG wise, though, it's awesome! I try to use full EV mode as much as possible. So far I've got over 500 miles and have only used about 1/3 tank of gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A brand new (just over a week) Niro PHEV owner. Like charlesH said, one of my requirements was how easy it was to get in and out of the car. I'm not even 'that' old (not 50 yet), but those little sedans are just too hard to get in and out of for me.

The Niro seems to have decent cargo space, but I'll be honest, I'm kind of disappointed in cabin space. I'm struggling to find a place to keep a tissue box (I need one far too often to not have one on hand in car), and I miss my little nook for frequent shopper cards and change like I used to use in my 2005 Toyota Highlander (what I gave up for the Niro).

If an overnight borrow...try to utilize the cabin space as you would normally (put in stuff you normally would keep) and see if it meets your needs.

MPG wise, though, it's awesome! I try to use full EV mode as much as possible. So far I've got over 500 miles and have only used about 1/3 tank of gas.
it's funny you mention that, I actually noticed that but kept it to myself during regular test drive, somethign was off about the door pockets, glovebox small, and stuff. the ioniq has that little ipad slot which a lot of people call weird, but i liked it. so I do agree with your cabin points about everyday storage nooks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like the others said. The Niro is easy to get in and out of. A lot roomier and more comfortable then the Ioniq. Great mileage. I drove both and there was no comparison. That's why I chose the Niro PHEV

·
Registered
56 Posts
We looked at a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and liked that it was a true SUV (4-wheel drive) and had a towing capacity of 1500 lbs (can't even put a hitch on the Niro PHEV at all, even for a bike rack) but the Outlander was more expensive and the overall mileage wasn't as good. So we went with the Niro. After replacing a bad charging cord we are very happy with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm so far getting around 52 MPGs, about to do my second fill-up. I do 500 miles a week for my commute so it'll stack up quickly, but the bottom line is that I'm getting much better MPGs than I expected with it (EX Premium, I expected the 49 figure), and I'm not particularly trying very hard either. You don't really have to hypermile, you just have to avoid driving agressively.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm at about 600 miles now and still only about 1/3 tank of gas used from when I picked it up (Niro PHEV EX Prem as well). My commute is 24.5 miles (each way). I'm just able to make it to work on a charge, charge up at work, and drive home. So I'm able to do all EV most of the time.

So far, with 1.75 weeks and about 600 miles on the odometer, my (cummulative) average MPG shown in dash, last I checked, was close to 90 MPG. :D

I'm guessing this is pretty typical as I have been using absolutely normally, as I did my previous vehicle. So I'm starting to think I'll only have to fill up once a month. I was expecting it would be twice a month, but now I'm thinking it will be even less.

I'm loving that aspect! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
2017 Niro EX here and we're seeing 50-68mpg, all dependent of course on various factors. Northern NY here so winter will NOT see those MPG's but still far better than a gas guzzler non hybrid. You should do fine MPG wise in Florida. For the record, not sure if Florida law bans old fashioned real non ethanol gas but that's all we've been using, and although the Niro is spec'd out to accept 10% ethanol like most cars, our local Dealer mechanic said it's doing a lot of good for the car to use NON ethanol gas........ I agree, and the MPG's are there to back it up, we DID see a drop using 10% ethanol......... it's corn syrup in the end..............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts