Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2018 Niro EX. I am having a problem connecting my Pixel 4a phone via the USB port. When I plug in, I am not able to access Android Auto. The phone thinks it's charging for a half second, stops, buzzes again like it's charging, endlessly. No data transfer takes place and the USB options on the phone are never available, because the phone is not making a connection. This happens across many USB cables.

When I navigate to the Connections menu, I get a message "The setting cannot be changed while the USB device is connected. To change the setting please disconnect the USB device." So I disconnect device but the message persists. I have blown out with air and used a floss pick to clean USB port. There is no visible obstruction, and nothing appears bent or making contact. I attempted to reset to default, but I get the same message, that I can't perform reset while USB device is connected.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Is there another USB port, aside from the middle console and below the head unit? Is there a way to perform a hard reset on my own? I am unfortunately very far from the dealership that I purchased from. I would like to be able to use Android Auto. I am able to connect phone and music playing features via Bluetooth.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
There may be a list of devices formerly connected to your car. This can stop new devices from connecting. If you can get to that list, delete former devices. Happened to me with a new iPhone. Try navigating to your connections list with your phone BT off.

Also, when it comes to impacted lint in your phone port (which may be your issue - the on/off buzz is telling), a plastic pick won't do it. Use something made out of steel such as a paperclip. Impacted lint is very difficult to see, and even a paperclip takes some time to remove it. Mind you, I've only done this with Lightning ports so your USB-C? port may be different.

Borrow a different phone to see if your phone port or installed software is the issue.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
More than one person has reported Android devices being sensitive to the quality of the USB cable. Can't hurt to try another cable. As @yticolev said, there may be some previous connections stored in the head unit. I suggest going into the settings and performing a system reset to remove all prior information. This will wipe any radio presets as well, but that doesn't take long to set back up.

Reactions: Molinero

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used 2018 Niro EX. I am having a problem connecting my Pixel 4a phone via the USB port. When I plug in, I am not able to access Android Auto. The phone thinks it's charging for a half second, stops, buzzes again like it's charging, endlessly. No data transfer takes place and the USB options on the phone are never available, because the phone is not making a connection. This happens across many USB cables.

When I navigate to the Connections menu, I get a message "The setting cannot be changed while the USB device is connected. To change the setting please disconnect the USB device." So I disconnect device but the message persists. I have blown out with air and used a floss pick to clean USB port. There is no visible obstruction, and nothing appears bent or making contact. I attempted to reset to default, but I get the same message, that I can't perform reset while USB device is connected.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Is there another USB port, aside from the middle console and below the head unit? Is there a way to perform a hard reset on my own? I am unfortunately very far from the dealership that I purchased from. I would like to be able to use Android Auto. I am able to connect phone and music playing features via Bluetooth.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I have a 2019 KIA NIRO EV and I have a similar situation relating to my Head Unit System. The Audio works except I cannot hear the phone conversation or the Google Maps audio. I have been working with it for about a year. The only major item is Kia put a new head unit in it. My phone is a Google Pixel 5 and my previous phone a Pixel 3 worked perfectly. My next step will be a Firmware upgrade. Bluetooth works fine. Android Auto is being updated often If you have any ideas please let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am so not a fan of Android Auto. On any car I've tried it on. I find it both too limiting and wonky in operation. My solution: Vent mount of phone, connect via cable to charge, and connect to car through bluetooth only (don't activate Android Auto). Use Waze or Google Maps on the phone, and you can still use the car's display for whatever you want. BTW current phone is Pixel 3 XL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 2017 Touring Edition Niro. My phone began disconnecting from the USB about six months into my purchase. At first, it would happen every 30-60 minutes. Service could never figure out why. I tried multiple different cords. It also happened with my wife's Apple. (I have had Samsung Android phones). Oh yeah, this problem has continued with three different Android phones and two different Apple phones. The last couple years, it disconnected about every 10-15 minutes. Just lately, the car system failed to voice directions or respond to Google Assistant. Also, the Google map screen would always stay in night mode even though it was daytime and the phone map screen was fine. Google maps worked fine on my phone. Of course, it stopped working just after my 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. (Service says entertainment unit only had a 3 year warranty anyway.) I complained every year; sometimes twice a year so there was written documentation of problems from the beginning. Kia Corporate agreed to replace the audio unit as a "goodwill" gesture". So kudos to Kia for doing that. Otherwise, would have cost over $1700 for me to replace it. We'll see next week if this solves the problem.

Don't stop complaining to your service department. At least you have a record of your complaints should the problem become worse than just a constant disconnect like mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts