Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2023 HEV Niro SX in the U.S. It comes with a heated steering wheel. Unfortunately, only the top half of the steering wheel heats. The dealer is telling me that is by design. Does anyone know anything about this? thanks!

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
Holding the wheel on the upper area of the rim is dangerous in case an airbag deployment occurs. The force of the airbag deployment could break both wrists. Prior to air bags, the proper hand position was the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. With air bags, the proper position is now 9 and 3 o'clock. But if you think about it, your hands touch the entire circumference of the wheel when you turn a corner, so heating the entire wheel surface makes sense. I had an Outback that did NOT heat the upper section, as a way to discourage hand placement there.

And no, the entire wheel should be heated. I just drove a new PHEV today, and tested the wheel heater. I didn't notice any cold spots, although I don't recall running my hand all the way around.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dovidan and BarryP

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro SX (Cityscape Green / Charcoal)
184 Posts
In general, it's too warm for me to leave on and I shut it off after just a few minutes.My 2023 SX wheel heats all the way around however the bottom half seems to heat up more slowly and never gets as warm as the top half. In general, it's too warm for my liking and I shut it off after just a few minutes.

· Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a 2023 HEV Niro SX in the U.S. It comes with a heated steering wheel. Unfortunately, only the top half of the steering wheel heats. The dealer is telling me that is by design. Does anyone know anything about this? thanks!
My 2023 Niro EV heats on top portion. The lower portion is not cold but not real warm. I am ok with this as the top gets hot after a bit. I can put my hands on lower portion if needed. I turn off as it gets hot quick. Wish it had different levels.

· Registered
6 Posts
My 2023 Niro PHEV EX heats the sides and upper pretty quickly. The lower region takes longer to heat up although it does get there. The part where the chrome trim is never really heats much. But I think that is likley because the heat isn't going to permeate that plastic trim piece very well.

· Registered
15 Posts
Agree with the comments that the heated steering wheel needs different power levels just like the heated seats have. It gets way too warm and I too have to turn it off after a couple of minutes. I dinged Kia on this in my JD Powers survey.

· Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition and 2021 Niro EV Premium
134 Posts
A good driver should only be holding the top half of the wheel unless negotiating a sharp turn
I find being so rigidly dogmatic about something as fun as driving to be, politely, counterproductive.
Obviously you haven't spent much time droning along on the open highway. You need to move your hand/s around. Mostly though I place one hand or the other on the bottom of the wheel, arm cradled in my lap kind of like a fighter pilot in cruise.
Now if I'm on a bit of a straight trying to emulate Tommi Mäkinen in my STI that's another story.
To the OP our 21 EV heats the whole wheel but I'd say it heats up spotty warmest at the top. It still beats sitting on one hand and then the other until it heats up from the ambient cabin temp. Generally I just use the heated wheel and seats to take the edge off of the cold then I just shut 'em off when they start to get much above ambient and leave them off unless you're planning on frying eggs.

· Registered
16 Posts
I purchased a 2022 Niro PHEV EX last March. Traded my Audi A8 V-8 Bi-turbo. I miss my heated steering wheel and about 320 horsepower. The Niro is ok (the wife likes it and she drives a Tesla Model S) but definitely a dog on acceleration.

· Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
145 Posts
Our 2019 heated steering wheel heats at least most of the way around. The spokes at 3 and 9 may not heat, but the general area of 10 and 2, as well as 8 and 4 heat just fine. As others have said, it gets too warm fairly quickly and gets shut off.

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro SX (Cityscape Green / Charcoal)
184 Posts
Who would have thought we could generate so much discussion around a heated steering wheel? But, here I am again. LOL Today I left the wheel heater on for quite a while to see what really happens. It does heat the lower portion of the wheel below the two spokes very well BUT ONLY on the backside. The front side has metal trim (or something that looks metallic) and that may be why they don't heat the front bottom area. Perhaps it would become too hot to the touch.

· Registered
221 Posts
'22 EV EX - Most of the wheel heats up with some cool spots, notably at 9 and 3. Actually too hot for my taste, but a nice wheel cover I got on Amazon has fixed this issue. Needed a few strips of 3M foam double-stick tape to prevent a small amount of non-dangerous slippage.

· Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
318 Posts
A good driver should only be holding the top half of the wheel unless negotiating a sharp turn
Way back when before airbags, we were taught the 10 and 2 oclock position. Then with wrist injuries occurring with airbags, new drivers were taught to use the 9 and 3 oclock hand positions. My last offspring was taught to use the 8 and 4 oclock hand position (that was about 10 or so years ago). 9 and 3 really didn't make much sense, I find the 8 and 4 oclock position to be very useful and comfortable. I have no idea what the steering wheel temperature is at 8 and 4!

· Registered
122 Posts
Way back when before airbags, we were taught the 10 and 2 oclock position. Then with wrist injuries occurring with airbags, new drivers were taught to use the 9 and 3 oclock hand positions. My last offspring was taught to use the 8 and 4 oclock hand position (that was about 10 or so years ago). 9 and 3 really didn't make much sense, I find the 8 and 4 oclock position to be very useful and comfortable. I have no idea what the steering wheel temperature is at 8 and 4!
I use the 9:15 and 2:45 hand position as I'm using my regen paddles all the time. Though I do find myself occasionally at 10 and 2 when I have no traffic in front of me. At stop lights I'm at 5 and 7.

Glad to have heat all around the wheel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts