Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my wife’s niro first time today 110 round mile trip . Mainly interstate to me steering feel is really heavy my car is 94 civic hatchback manual steering it feels really light and precise and have Dodge Ram diesel truck power steering feels typical power steering. My says feels okay to her but to me just doesn’t feel right. 56 years old and had probably 30 different vehicles this just feels odd. Wondering if anyone else noticed this.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Much better weighted than most cars with a smidge of actual road feedback. Americans seem to prefer no centering or feel judging by the cars we buy. I still remember the power steering on a 1970's era Chevy station wagon my parents bought, totally one finger effortless at any speed. My PT Cruiser has more in common with that Chevy than a good car like the Niro.

Weight is a good thing at highway speed, not so much at low speeds.

Those 80's and 90's Civics were a dream to drive. I had a 1988 CRX-HF myself for one year until I went back to school and needed money. None of these cars even had power steering so they provided great feedback and weight was lowered and efficiency improved. No power steering was needed due to the low weight of the cars and because the engine was well behind the front axle. Not too many current cars, even sports cars will be as much fun to drive.

On the plus side, Civics are a death trap compared to the construction and safety features on modern cars, including the Niro. Does your 1994 even have front air bags?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ours doesn’t have the lane assist ,maybe just to long since I’ve driven a new car replaced 03 odyssey with this vehicle it had 300000 miles maybe part of that steering feel was that it was wore out . My civic does have airbags but weighs just 2091 lbs I guess that’s why it has that nimble go kart type steering get 39 mpg all around driving and still going strong. Will have to take niro on curvy road to see how it feels, just caught me a little off guard having that different feel.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I've only got 220 miles on my Niro. I've used the lane assist and I like it when I'm not paying attention, but don't like the nudges when I am. Because of the way the Niro reads lane markers (that widen at various places like exits or bridges), it cannot keep as accurately in the center as I can with fewer steering inputs. Even when it is actively doing its thing, it often seems to be coming uncomfortably close to the left line.

It does handle far better than my PT Cruiser, and certainly differently than my CRX. My CRX was used exclusively in Los Angeles and was a blast to weave through 8 lanes of heavy traffic at a higher speed than traffic. Never took it on a fun two lane. Looking forward to a challenging road in the Niro when spring comes along and I'm more familiar with the car, but I already know the seat bolsters are unsuited to the task as I've already exceeded their limits. One more thing Americans don't like are bolsters made for fast driving. They need the room for their fat bottoms (hope that is not too politically incorrect). I've read or viewed some reviews complaining about even cars with sporty intentions being blasted for seat bolsters.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've only got 220 miles on my Niro. I've used the lane assist and I like it when I'm not paying attention, but don't like the nudges when I am. Because of the way the Niro reads lane markers (that widen at various places like exits or bridges), it cannot keep as accurately in the center as I can with fewer steering inputs. Even when it is actively doing its thing, it often seems to be coming uncomfortably close to the left line
I do NOT think the LKA is intended to do the steering for you and keep you in the middle of the lane. It is NOT autonomous driving! It is only intended to prevent an accident by keeping you from drifting out of your lane when you’re not paying attention.

It is YOU that’s getting uncomfortably close to the left line and the LKA that’s preventing you from going over it :).

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Nope, it is me watching closely the LKAS drift left, mostly on two lanes. Scary, but I'm certainly not depending on it. In my trials, still carefully watching, it can detect within about ten seconds that my hand is not on the wheel and alarm. But yes, the whole purpose of LKAS is to keep you in the center of the lane when it can read the lane lines. Of course it is nowhere close to autonomous driving. It is simply an added safety feature. Just like testing your brakes for a panic stop, I believe in discovering limitations in all my safety systems so I can stay within safe limits.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yticolev- I agree with you on the Niro steering and the old big wagons power steering. I think the steering is rather center weighted, which I like. I drove a few rental VW's and Audis overseas in my job, and it is similar to the German center weighted steering. Not as good as Audi's, BMW or the better VW's- there's not as much road feel. But similar center weighted in that there's less over or understeer, and not too light. Your description of the old wagon reminded me of the folks old Dodge Coronet wagon. Heavy with huge back end, tiny steering wheel you could easily steer with one pinky, lol.
Dan912- we had an old Civic hatchback, and that is completely different steering. It's lighter, shorter, lower,small wheels.You won't get that go-cart steering with many cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Proper power steering assist when lots of wheel turning is needed at low speeds. E.g. Parking, changing directions at intersection. At higher speeds (certainly on the highway) you need road feel for safe steering. The Niro has an excellent steering assist, rare to find in today's cars!

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing that's different than older cars you might be used to is that it has electric power steering, not hydraulic. That is a different feel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts