Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another northern Niro is on the road. I'm from Toronto area and this is my third week behind the wheel of the Niro. Wow, a difference from my previous 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi engine. For me, Niro is a completely new world that is fun to drive in its own unique way. My main reason for such a drastic switch in the model is the need to commute over 50 km (35 miles) one way 6 days a week. So far 1600+ km two stops at gas stations and just over 80 liters of fuel used, with my Jeep I would have been to gas stations 5 times already, each time with 70+ liters fillup, and would need another right about now. It really brings a smile to my face now when I fill up, barely over $50 and I can drive for 900 km. KIA did up the game and manage to build a great all around commuter, and from what I was able to read on this forum it looks like quality is also greatly improved since some of these Niros have well over 100K kilometers already.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yet another northern Niro is on the road. I'm from Toronto area and this is my third week behind the wheel of the Niro. Wow, a difference from my previous 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi engine. For me, Niro is a completely new world that is fun to drive in its own unique way. My main reason for such a drastic switch in the model is the need to commute over 50 km (35 miles) one way 6 days a week. So far 1600+ km two stops at gas stations and just over 80 liters of fuel used, with my Jeep I would have been to gas stations 5 times already, each time with 70+ liters fillup, and would need another right about now. It really brings a smile to my face now when I fill up, barely over $50 and I can drive for 900 km. KIA did up the game and manage to build a great all around commuter, and from what I was able to read on this forum it looks like quality is also greatly improved since some of these Niros have well over 100K kilometers already.
Cool, welcome to the forum. My journey to the Niro was not as large a jump as yours, I came from a 2010 VW TDI that was caught up in Dieselgate, but even so, I am very impressed with the Kia. The fit and finish are very nice as are the features (mine is an EX Premium PHEV) and the efficiency is excellent. For a car this size to get ~50mpg in regular hybrid mode is impressive. When you add the additional benefit of the 26 mile EV range for the PHEV you end up with an amazing vehicle overall.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome! I, too, made a big jump. My previous commuter was my Audi S6 w/ a 5.2L V10 - A fun car, to be sure, but my commute is also about 35 miles each way and the gas cost was REALLY getting old. That car gets about 12mpg average (19L / 100km).

I did the napkin math, and came to the conclusion that buying a Niro would be basically free - the money I save now on gas, insurance, and maintenance is about the same as my monthly payment on it, and I didn't even have to trade in my Audi.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
I had my big smile moment when I was in the north end of Toronto trying to get home and left it a bit too late and got stuck in the horror of rush hour traffic. I have driven that stretch of road far too many times in the past in 3 different cars and never enjoyed any part of it. This time in the Niro it seemed like an adventure. The fact that the engine just turns itself off. That I can roll forward and make that slow pace forward in EV mode. I know that the whole time I was stuck, that I wasn't just wasting money and draining the tank for nothing. It is all great to say 'I only have 50km to drive...' but if that 50km is at stop and go, with more time in the stop part and it seems sporadic in the go. A distance that should only take you 30min max, but for some reason, you are doing well if you get through it in 1h45min.. knowing if there is an accident or two you can easily get stuck for an extra hour more.

It is times like that when you look at your Niro and know that it was a very smart move. And that is why I know all too well about roadkill on the 401.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts