Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased a 2017 Niro LX. Learning how to drive a Hybrid is fun and interesting. while yes Sport mode is fun, trying to drive just on battery is fun as well.
I like the infocenter.. wish the screen was bigger and maybe a CD player. I finally figured out to to show images in the infocenter screen, but can't play them while moving....
seems as if the battery never reaches full charge... and drops of fast.. is this normal? overall this is a real nice car/SUV.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm not even sure what the graph really represents in terms of capacity but I've never seen it hit the three quarter mark. I've read about those who peg the graph going downhill for several miles, but it sure doesn't happen in flat or rolling conditions. It may happen if you keep it in Sport mode, but you will not win any mileage contest that way.

The Niro has very aggressive battery management for longevity and tries to keep the real battery capacity charged between a third and two thirds.

Basically you can just trust it to do it's thing. You can game things to do better, but that is a learning process. After a month of ownership, it is clear that if you keep it in mostly in EV at the beginning and end of trips in local driving conditions, average mpg goes up. Sometimes you can recognize a long downhill before the Niro does and trigger EV by releasing the throttle and then setting the CC as soon as it goes into EV. I've also noticed that the higher the current charge is, the more readily it will drop into EV mode either on its own or with a little nudge, even at 70 mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts