Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Wisconsin and bought a Kia PHEV a couple of weeks ago and am very much enjoying the ride. I am able to go to and from work pretty much using only electric.

One question, if anyone has an idea: As mentioned, I use pretty much all electric on my commute. However, while in electric mode I have seen my gas mileage indicator go down. Not much, a mile or two here and there. Any ideas why this would happen in electric mode? I could find no answers on the internet.

Either way, so far, so good ... happy driving!

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
One question, if anyone has an idea: As mentioned, I use pretty much all electric on my commute. However, while in electric mode I have seen my gas mileage indicator go down. Not much, a mile or two here and there. Any ideas why this would happen in electric mode? I could find no answers on the internet.!
Hello @WI_KiaPHEV and welcome too the forum!
Ohh Yes, it is fun to go to work and back only on electric mode. been doing this since March with no thermal engine!

Too anwser your question, if you main millage went up bacause you had too use the thermal engine, it is normal that if you ride on electric, it could go down a bit at a time.. this a you millage in a overall indicator and not your present millage of the day. I reset it each time i fuel up the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm talking only about the gas "miles left" gauge in the lower right-hand corner. It has gone down despite driving on electric.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm talking only about the gas "miles left" gauge in the lower right-hand corner. It has gone down despite driving on electric.
The gas engine may run even in EV mode for a couple of reasons.

1. You are using the cabin heater
  2. You push the accelerator hard enough
  3. You are using the cruise control and going up a hill
In any of those situations the car may switch on the ICE even in EV mode. You'd probably notice in the latter two cases, the engine is not particularly quiet. However, in the first case, the engine will be running at idle with the clutch disengaged so you might not notice it.

In addition, I've seen the predicted gas range fluctuate up and down a mile or so while driving in EV mode. Could be uncertainty in the level sensor in the tank. Keep in mind that the projected ranges are just that, projections are in no way guaranteed to be accurate.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome! Sometimes the gas engine will kick in. Usually when the cabin heater kicks on, or when you are going up a hill or passing on the freeway and punch the gas. There is a visual on the dash you can pick that shows if the engine is going. Maybe put that on and see if you can correlate the drop.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Completely meaningless. Could be a dither effect in the algorithm reading how much fuel is left. My HEV range remaining is always off by more than one hundred miles when I fill my tank. It only approaches the real fuel remaining in the last hundred miles. What is 2 miles in a range that exceeds 600 miles (700 for me in the summer)? Meaningless.

As lafe005 was trying to say, it could also be that you had climate control on for heat and the engine turned on unbeknownst to you (can be easy to miss). And as I understand it, even the PHEV in EV mode will once in a while run the engine, perhaps for diagnostics, or simply to lubricate everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all the answers, feedback and help! Good thing I don't live somewhere with cold weather in May like Wisconsin ... whoops ... happy driving!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts