Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to see how my new (second day) espresso brown NIRO does in the Ontario winter. Gulp. Have my snows on but first time ever driving a front wheel drive in the winter. Going to have to choose my driving days but that’s ok since I’m retired and driving less. :D

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Welcome. I have been driving for about a year now and got mine about this time last year. The Niro does handle very well in the yuck and snow as it has a very low center of gravity with the weight of the batteries in the lower part of the car. Now, you can't throw the car around like it is riding on rails but I would say the same for many cars that are out there. One thing that you can do to help yourself is use the acceleration profile to your advantage. The one common complaint that seems to echo about the Niro is that it doesn't accelerate like a normal gasoline car, rather it feels like there are quite a bit of travel in the accelerator peddle as it starts. this is not that the car is gutless and can't accelerate fast, but more it gives the Niro time to start the car moving with the electric motor before it would kick in the gas powered engine to assist. (assuming you have the HEV). This gives you an advantage in winter time as it is the sudden torque that causes the wheels to spin and loose all traction when starting that most cars have trouble with.

Have fun with your Niro. it is a great car to drive. Don't get too worried that you can't get some of the impressive fuel economy numbers for the winter time. I think I averaged around the 6.5~7 L/100km over the Jan-March time as the Niro will use the motor more to heat the car. If you want to save some gas then use the heated seats and steering wheel rather than defaulting to turning up the heater. Also, I would look into setting up a Fuelly account if you are interested in how your fuel economy is doing. If you compare yourself with other people, make sure they are in Canada as people in warm Texas and Southern California will get year round better fuel economy that we do as they have warmer weather. Cold (and winter blended gas) sucks away economy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not winter yet! I'll probably put my winter tires on mid November. I live in Ottawa, so no need for an all wheel drive vehicle. I can see the need if you live on a country road that won't get plowed for a couple days after a big snow fall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts