Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2017 Niro new September 3 of 2017. I have 74,000 miles on it as of today. All 4 tires are original and I never rotated them. They are getting a little lean in the front. If the rear tires would not have gotten choppy on the inside, I would say I am at 50% tread. I have 4new tires in the garage and waiting to put them on. I am curious who has more miles than me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's some impressive mileage on the factory set wheels. Not sure on your location, but I'm assuming that you've been using them year round as well?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No maintenance issues yet. Not big on maintenance other than oil changes. I have been doing them between 7000 and 9000 mile intervals. I believe my last oil change was close to 9k. I was down about a half quart of oil when I drained it. St. Louis MO. I keep the same tires on year round. I void my warranty by not doing the maintenance but with as many miles as I drive I would go broke maintaining it to Kia specs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the front tires are about to go. 75,400 miles is all I can get. Checked them tonight and starting to show some threads. Still impressed.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Might have gone 100,000 miles with rotation!

As an FYI for new car owners, I added road hazard and lifetime rotation balance to the OEM tires at a tire chain for a very reasonable $75.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought my 2017 Niro new September 3 of 2017. I have 74,000 miles on it as of today. All 4 tires are original and I never rotated them. They are getting a little lean in the front. If the rear tires would not have gotten choppy on the inside, I would say I am at 50% tread. I have 4new tires in the garage and waiting to put them on. I am curious who has more miles than me.
What tire psi do you maintain?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I keep the pressure around 36psi cold. It seems to go up to 40 psi while driving.
Exactly the same for me. Although it only goes up to 40 psi in temperatures over 80. 38 is typical after warming up in lower temperatures. Don't remember the winter numbers.

Typically the manufacturer's psi number is optimal for a number of variables, including long tread life. I would consider a couple of PSI higher for a fully loaded car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was at 85,000 before buying the same tires

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The power of rotating tires! 85 is my goal. I want to say they are warrantied for 70,000. Anyway, something close to that number is what the tire store told me when I bought lifetime balance and rotation (and road hazard) for my then new car two years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
20 Month Miles.JPG I bought my 2017, left over, NEW FE in May of 2018. This is today's trip on my 20th month of ownership. 90K in 2019. First set of tires replaced at 94K, with maybe 20k remaining by measurement. Original plugs, belts. I do carry a new belt, plugs and tools to change on the road. All oil changes with rotation every 7,500 miles, every month, sometimes twice. Mostly one dealership serviced.

My only real issue so far started around 152K. The interior fan occasionally does not come on immediately. It seems to take about 10 minutes before it responds. Once on, it runs normal. It's a bit of a safety concern because when your day starts out at 3:30 am and the windshield is fogged out, ya kinda really need that fan for the defrost and heater.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My only real issue so far started around 152K. The interior fan occasionally does not come on immediately. It seems to take about 10 minutes before it responds. Once on, it runs normal. It's a bit of a safety concern because when your day starts out at 3:30 am and the windshield is fogged out, ya kinda really need that fan for the defrost and heater.
Yilkes! Kia should seriously enlist you and @Gbillyg123 as long term test drivers. The amount of info they could get from extreme real world use would be invaluable from an engineering perspective. Too bad they'd never do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd love to be a part of a program like that. The lack of belt and plug change is purely my own curiosity on duration. Even the brakes are original. I try to always use the same Tech because he's curious as well and tends to really look at the car when it's in for service, especially being out of warranty. He always lets me know when the book recommends service or change component and he always visually inspects.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Your lucky to get the same tech to take care of it. I'm curious did you change the fluid for the Clutch accuator? Did you change the coolant?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 5920 View attachment 5920 I bought my 2017, left over, NEW FE in May of 2018. This is today's trip on my 20th month of ownership. 90K in 2019. First set of tires replaced at 94K, with maybe 20k remaining by measurement. Original plugs, belts. I do carry a new belt, plugs and tools to change on the road. All oil changes with rotation every 7,500 miles, every month, sometimes twice. Mostly one dealership serviced.

So I didn't have any problems with the blower fan on my first Niro. I did have problems with it on both of my Toyota Prius. My solution for it was to smack the dash on the passenger side. The blower fan was behind the glove box. I assume that is where it is on the Niro too as it would make the most sense. Try slamming your glove box or smacking the dash. I would also intentionally hit the rumble strips on the side of the highway if you have those near your starting point. I eventually replace the Prius blower fan for about $130 and it was pretty simple. Hope these suggestions work for kia, as I was happy they worked on the Prius.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just
I was at 85,000 before buying the same tires
Out of curiosity, how much do you spend on tire rotations and does the cost offset having to buy new tires 10000 miles sooner. I get the alignment, but anything over 60000 miles is good to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts