Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
So I didn't have any problems with the blower fan on my first Niro. I did have problems with it on both of my Toyota Prius. My solution for it was to smack the dash on the passenger side. The blower fan was behind the glove box. I assume that is where it is on the Niro too as it would make the most sense. Try slamming your glove box or smacking the dash. I would also intentionally hit the rumble strips on the side of the highway if you have those near your starting point. I eventually replace the Prius blower fan for about $130 and it was pretty simple. Hope these suggestions work for kia, as I was happy they worked on the Prius.
Hey your missing out on a great money making opportunity. Next to the spare tire kit you could sell an emergency blower motor fix it kit on ebay. A rubber mallet in a plastic box. :eek: :LOL:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm at 163K miles today. The blower issues were due to worn out bearings or bushings in the fan motor. I just received the new assembly and should be easy to replace, Kia Niro : Blower Motor Repair procedures : Blower . The clutch fluid was replaced as a recall. I did get a radiator flush around 158K because the last oil change, the tech left the coolant cap off the overflow reservoir and once discovered, I added what was available. The following oil change, the dealer flushed it for free. I put 2500 miles on it without the cap and I didn't tell a difference in temps considering the system couldn't pressurize. I closely monitor temps regularly because my front "Oversize Load" banner covers the intake completely, BUT, it's a mesh banner. No issues at all. I'll easily get over 100K on this set of tires. Oil changes with tire rotation are $50 at my dealer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just

Out of curiosity, how much do you spend on tire rotations and does the cost offset having to buy new tires 10000 miles sooner. I get the alignment, but anything over 60000 miles is good to me.
IME most tire stores include free rotations every 6-8K with purchase of new tires. Many will even rotate your OEM tires for free in hopes of you purchasing new tires from them when the OEMs need replacing.

It appears that OEM Michelin Energy Saver AS tires are getting fantastic mileage on the Niros. That surprises me a bit given the weight of the car. I wonder if the fact that many Niro drivers likely drive with some nod to energy conservation is a factor in extending the tread life on the tires.

·
Registered
659 Posts
IME most tire stores include free rotations every 6-8K with purchase of new tires. Many will even rotate your OEM tires for free in hopes of you purchasing new tires from them when the OEMs need replacing.

It appears that OEM Michelin Energy Saver AS tires are getting fantastic mileage on the Niros. That surprises me a bit given the weight of the car. I wonder if the fact that many Niro drivers likely drive with some nod to energy conservation is a factor in extending the tread life on the tires.
I've got over 37K miles on my OE tires and they look great. I should easily get another 20-30 thousand out of them. In fact I just went out and measured the tread depth and I'm right around .2". With the wear limit around .07" and an assumed initial depth of .3" or so I've got a little more than half the tread life left. I'm pretty easy on tires, especially in the Niro as I'm pretty focused on economy, and I've had similar experience with Low Rolling Resistance rubber on my VW TDIs, I wonder if the same design criteria that provide LRR (stiff sidewalls, less grippy compound, etc) also give longer wear as long as you don't abuse them.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
51 Posts
I bought my 2017 Niro new September 3 of 2017. I have 74,000 miles on it as of today. All 4 tires are original and I never rotated them. They are getting a little lean in the front. If the rear tires would not have gotten choppy on the inside, I would say I am at 50% tread. I have 4new tires in the garage and waiting to put them on. I am curious who has more miles than me.
Wow I’m impressed that you never rotated them and are still good. Did yours came with the Michilen Energy Saver?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow I’m impressed that you never rotated them and are still good. Did yours came with the Michilen Energy Saver?
Yes I did. When I bought new tires, I replaced them with the same. So on the new Niro, 2019. I am at 42,500 miles. Same philosophy.i should know by September how they held up. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
51 Posts
Yes I did. When I bought new tires, I replaced them with the same. So on the new Niro, 2019. I am at 42,500 miles. Same philosophy.i should know by September how they held up. I'll keep you posted.
I’m the type of person that likes taking care of their car. I always rotate them every 7,000 miles. The Michelin tires have a 65,000 mile warranty so if I rotate they might last 80,000.

·
Registered
122 Posts
DKTek, Gbillyg123 two are good examples and baseline for other Niro owners on predicting the long term ownership experience. I always ask for wheel aliment with a print out when i buy a new car. wheel alignment is important part of safe an extending the life of the tires and suspension parts. i now have little over 11k and have not accumulated any miles in the past two + months. rotated at 10k during oil change and all four tires look almost new. i am expecting the tire will last 50-60k based on UTQ for my driving type.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
51 Posts
DKTek, Gbillyg123 two are good examples and baseline for other Niro owners on predicting the long term ownership experience. I always ask for wheel aliment with a print out when i buy a new car. wheel alignment is important part of safe an extending the life of the tires and suspension parts. i now have little over 11k and have not accumulated any miles in the past two + months. rotated at 10k during oil change and all four tires look almost new. i am expecting the tire will last 50-60k based on UTQ for my driving type.
I agree. Wheel alignments are important not just for tire maintenance but for the suspension. I like going to my local mechanic who charges me around $50 instead of the dealership which charges me $120. Since my city of Los Angeles doesn’t want to fix the roads, I do the alignments more frequently. I have already driven 8,000 miles and the treads on the tires still look new. Hopefully they last a long time.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Wheel alignments with even tire wear seems wasteful to me. But if you can talk a dealer into presale check after full negotiation... why not? Never would have thought of it, but have read some new cars come misaligned.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts