Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm LuCa Bevilacqua from Turin Italy.

I'm dealing with the purchase of a Niro Hybrid ...: D

I am happy to be part of this forum

:nerd:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would recommend the PHEV too. I was on the fence when I bought my car and really only bought it for the coolness factor. I like driving all electric and when I see a Prius I think "gas guzzler". :)

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum Luca!

·
Registered
409 Posts
PHEV or HEV depends on your particular situation. The most important being "Can I charge for free or little cost?" If @Luca can't charge at home or work easily then the PHEV might not be a good fit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
PHEV or HEV depends on your particular situation. The most important being "Can I charge for free or little cost?" If @Luca can't charge at home or work easily then the PHEV might not be a good fit.
Agreed. I talked to a co-worker who had a Smart fortwo EV. He got rid of it cause he lived in an apartment and didn't have access to charging at home or at work. Seemed like a bad idea to me. There are lots of other places to charge, but talk about an inconvenience.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would recommend the PHEV too. I was on the fence when I bought my car and really only bought it for the coolness factor. I like driving all electric and when I see a Prius I think "gas guzzler". :)

I second that as a new HEV owner. In US, financially it would have worked out to be about the same money after a tax credit. so if owners have a charger location either at work or at home, PHEV will be ideal purchase.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depends how much you pay for gas and electricity. In Canada our gas is more than twice it is in the US ($1.20 per liter). But my electricity is 7 cents per KWH, which is about 5 cents US. The PHEV in Canada is $8,500 more than the HEV, but you do get a $2,500 rebate with the PHEV.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
Depends how much you pay for gas and electricity. In Canada our gas is more than twice it is in the US ($1.20 per liter). But my electricity is 7 cents per KWH, which is about 5 cents US. The PHEV in Canada is $8,500 more than the HEV, but you do get a $2,500 rebate with the PHEV.
@Spiritwalker2222 , I do not understand the 8,500$ difference between the PHEV and HEV..??

Yes, it changes from places to places... Here is an exemple of Canadian Prices for the Canadian PHEV:

PHEV EX Prem: msrp 33 965$ + Tx and deduct the -2500$ Canadian Gover. rebate

PHEV SX: msrp 37 765$ + Tx and deduct the -2500$ Canadian Gover. rebate

* I did not add the provincial rebate, because not all provinces has them.

Now, this is the price for Quebec: (rebate from both Govr. is 6500$)

PHEV EX Prem: msrp 35 875 + tx = 41 247$ - 6500$* = 34 747$
PHEV SX: msrp 39 675$ + tx = 45 616$ - 6500$* = 39 116$

HEV SX Touring: msrp 35 405$ + tx = 40 706$

Still in the same province: you will pay more to get an HEV than a PHEV:

PHEV SX vs HEV SX Touring = +1590$

For Electrecity, Hydro Quebec charges us: 46¢ (0,35¢ US) for a full charge (0 to 100%) in the first 40 KHW of the day, and 96¢ (73¢ US) for the same charge.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts

Agreed. I talked to a co-worker who had a Smart fortwo EV. He got rid of it cause he lived in an apartment and didn't have access to charging at home or at work. Seemed like a bad idea to me. There are lots of other places to charge, but talk about an inconvenience.

Do not forget that @Lucas is from Italy and the electricity is quite expensive over there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
@lafe005, I was comparing the base model of each. Which isn't fair. As the HEV does come in EV Premium, the base model of the PHEV. The EX Premium HEV is $29,700, so only a $4,270 difference without rebate. $1,770 after the rebate. I didn't need or want many of the EX Premium features, at least the Niro has the first auto dimming rear view mirror that is functional, I've always hated other ones I've used.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
@lafe005 , I was comparing the base model of each. Which isn't fair. As the HEV does come in EV Premium, the base model of the PHEV. The EX Premium HEV is $29,700, so only a $4,270 difference without rebate. $1,770 after the rebate. I didn't need or want many of the EX Premium features, at least the Niro has the first auto dimming rear view mirror that is functional, I've always hated other ones I've used.

Ok, so for the PHEV EX Premium (33 965$) vs HEV EX Premium (29 695$), it's still cheaper for the PHEV with a province that gives 2 rebates over 6500$.. So sad that your PM has cut the rebates in Ontario.

The price over here is still the same as the SX trim version, a 1590$ less difference. the problem is that kia Canada does not lower the HEV prices. Some dealers has 15 too 20 HEV on their lot and cannot sale them because of the prices!

So all the people orders a PHEV with a 1600$ cheeper price but, has too wait a 2-3 months to get one, and if they are lucky, they can get it sooner if there is an order cancellation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ya, no provincial rebate in Ontario. The HEV's seem to be in demand here probably due to the price delta. I only found one local dealer that had a HEV to test drive. I got lucky and didn't have to wait long for the PHEV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts