Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea when a hitch will be available for the Niro (in the US)? I don't have the upper body strength to get my bike up on a roof rack. Any other thoughts on bike carriers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is not a current hitch option in the US, but I have seen that there is one in the UK (it is not a receiver, but a ball hitch). Hoping to get a hidden hitch for my Niro too for a bike rack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the biggest issue with the car for us. I can take the wheel off my hybrid and put it inside, but my husband's road bike has disk brakes and the tolerances are pretty tight, so he doesn't want to do that often. And the spoiler on the rear makes us nervous about mounting a carrier back there.

Hopefully soon ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also planning on installing a hitch mounted bike rack. I like the look of the European towbars, however, they don't fit directly to the US style hitch mounted bike racks which I prefer. I'd post a link, but I'm a newbie on this forum with link restrictions. Search for "Kia Niro towbar". Rameder has a good selection.

There is another clever alternative that I've seen on some models of Subaru, Scion, and Hyundai which is to use the threaded towhook attachments. These cars have a pair, left and right. Just search for "subaru custom bike racks". I can confirm there is one threaded attachment on the left side of the Niro. I'll take the rear bumper off soon to confirm if there is a second threaded attachment hiding on the right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was hoping not to add to much weight to the car with a massive hitch structure. I found that carid.com has a 2017-kia-niro-trailer-hitches that is small and bolts in. I don't know if welding anything voids the warranty. My local Kia service center has not answered my email if they can install it for me -- If they install it then my warranty stays unaffected. Has anyone had any luck with asking their local service center to install nonKia products?

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked up the hitch and it really looks heavy duty, with the big receiver. $150 for the
hitch and $50 for the wiring harness. I don't know why they would make such a heavy
duty hitch for the Nero. I have the LX and I looked under the car and the mounting holes are
in the frame, so it's made to mount a hitch. It looks like you will have to do some cutting
on the plastic trim on the bottom. I haven't checked on the warranty or ordered the
hitch..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed my 2" Curt receiver hitch from eTrailer.com last night. I had to remove the muffler strike plate and unhook one rubber hanger (instructions recommended all three). Everything else bolted (6 bolts) nicely to threaded fittings in the frame of the car. It was not necessary to take the bumper off or cut it and I didn't have to jack the car up. Install took ~45 min. I did not do anything with a wiring harness since the hitch is only for a bike rack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Curt 2" receiver hitch installed on 2017 Niro

Just installed the Curt hitch minutes ago.
Absolute perfect fitment for our 2017 Kia Niro! Nice, clean appearance with only the 2" receiver visible from the rear. Main crossbar is completely hidden.(see photo "Curt hitch 3")
Save yourself a lot of aggravation by disregarding the section of the instructions where it suggests using an open end wrench with a screw driver as a pry bar to remove the rubber exhaust hangers from the hanger studs. Instead, squirt some lube onto the stud and into the hole of the rubber hanger and then use water pump pliers as shown in photo "Curt hitch1." Place the curved jaw of the pliers on the backside of the rubber hanger and the flat jaw on the end of the hanger stud which is used as a fulcrum. Give the handles a squeeze and the hanger will slide right off with a little coaxing.
For further clarity of the instructions provided, the metal shield which has to be removed is the dark strip shown in photo "Curt hitch2" which is attached to the resonator/muffler. (It is NOT the reflective heat shield mounted ABOVE the muffler.)

This Curt hitch was ordered from etrailer.com for a grand total of less than $140 with free shipping. Very well made...as are all of the Curt products.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the same hitch on AutoAnything for $127.99 USD with free shipping in the U.S. Price included a free rubber hitch plug. Have received the hitch but have not yet installed it. Ordered the light adapter from etrailer.com.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would like to know how the wiring harness works out? Is the plug and play or do you have to cut into the wiring to install it. Also any warranty problem?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts