Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Warranty Worries are stilla question after talking to KIA Customer Service.

I asked if either installing a hitch or pulling a trailer would automatically stop the warranty.

The rep said, good question and went off to check. Came back and said Operators Manual (Page 6-88) says Trailer Towing not recommended.

However, he said neither installing nor towing would void warranty but realize the car is rated at 840 LB. I think he said 840 lb load total including the trailer and what is in the car. He stated of course a bicycle rack would not add any significant weight.

The warranty would be based on diagnosis (and you know who does that) at the time of need for a failure of whatever.

MY COMMENT - It remains a question to an extent. Having a hitch on there might give them a chance to void warranty or at least consider it. Personally, I don't think it would be a problem to have a hitch. I would not want to pull anything heavier than a couple hundred pounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Draw-Tite makes a Class II hitch. The site won't let me post a link, but if you go to the Draw-Tite site and search on the 2017 Kia Niro, it comes up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Many thanks to Maxwell and mmathras, for the pictures and information about installing the CURT hitch. Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hitch for bike rack

I ordered the Curt Class I universal mount bike hitch from carID and took it to my Kia dealer to mount it. They said it wouldn't work, so I'm having to return it. I don't know if any of the hitches listed by etrailer.com will work or not. I'm a bit skeptical, as they are Class II and III, which is way overkill for the Niro. I'm hoping that Kia will come out soon with a hitch for bicycle racks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ordered the Curt Class I universal mount bike hitch from carID and took it to my Kia dealer to mount it. They said it wouldn't work, so I'm having to return it. I don't know if any of the hitches listed by etrailer.com will work or not. I'm a bit skeptical, as they are Class II and III, which is way overkill for the Niro. I'm hoping that Kia will come out soon with a hitch for bicycle racks.
I got the class III so I could use a 2'' hitch. Installing it this weekend to use with a bike rack. Kia Netherlands I believe has hitches as accessories but they aren't official Kia Corporate accessories.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got it installed at a Curt authorized installer. The hitch was 111 including shipping on eBay and the install was 100. It took the guy about 35-40 minutes. It look pretty good and it's somewhat recessed compared to a truck hitch, but the rack fits fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bike Hitch

I had a 1.25' hitch installed on my Niro by U-Hall for $250. Before installation, I had the manager of my Kia dealership write a letter stating that the hitch would not void my warranty. The hitch works very well with a Tulle bike rack. I haven't noticed any drop off in mileage. One issue is that the bike rack blocks a bit of the view on the back up camera and causes the backup warning buzzer to go off. As you know, if you choose the warning buzzer can be turned off in those few cases where you back up with your bike rack on the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dealer offered to install the hitch for me. They said, and I quote, "Yes we can put a hitch on that bad boy!". This was when I was still shopping and they called and left that message for me.

Warranty Worries are stilla question after talking to KIA Customer Service.

I asked if either installing a hitch or pulling a trailer would automatically stop the warranty.

The rep said, good question and went off to check. Came back and said Operators Manual (Page 6-88) says Trailer Towing not recommended.

However, he said neither installing nor towing would void warranty but realize the car is rated at 840 LB. I think he said 840 lb load total including the trailer and what is in the car. He stated of course a bicycle rack would not add any significant weight.

The warranty would be based on diagnosis (and you know who does that) at the time of need for a failure of whatever.

MY COMMENT - It remains a question to an extent. Having a hitch on there might give them a chance to void warranty or at least consider it. Personally, I don't think it would be a problem to have a hitch. I would not want to pull anything heavier than a couple hundred pounds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is the list of products I used:

Curt Hitch: Class III 2" receiver
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Curt/C13329.html

No wire cutting trailer light kit:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom_Fit_Vehicle_Wiring/Tekonsha/119250KIT.html

RV Wiring kit for 7 pin connector:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/etrailer/ETBC7.html

Brake controller: (My trailer has a braking axle)
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake_Controller/Curt/C51140.html

Universal brake controller connector:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/Curt/C51515.html

My setup is the max out way of doing this.
You can get by just fine with just the trailer hitch. The Curt is an absolute perfect fit.

I have a 6'x12' trailer that I put a brake axle on and an electric tongue jack.
Since I decided to go with the Tekonsha no cutting brake light kit, it has to have a power wire run to it from the front(fuse box). So since running a power line to the light adapter I figured I might as well just put the RV kit on there also, it provides power and brake controll, and reverse lights(almost never used).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does adding a hitch void the warranty in any way? I'm looking at adding one to my 2019 Niro but want to make sure first.

·
Super Moderator
515 Posts
This is one of those really impossible to answer questions. It should not. there is no grounds for it to, sort of like would replacing your own light bulbs on the car void the warranty, or putting in different tires and rims. Applying any parts to the car that doesn't change the function or geometry of the car should be fine. But that said, if your dealership are total A! and say that adding the hitch voids the warranty regardless of fact, then its now your issue if they did work on the car and stick you with a bill. You can fight the charge and will win in court, but your still stuck with the hassle.

The sticking point with a hitch is that Kia says it doesn't recommend towing in the manaual. They don't say it will void a warranty. As well, if you are just putting on the tow hitch and not the wires, then it comes even harder to say that for instance the transmission failed that it was because of towing.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts