Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 PHEV. We want to install a hitch receiver for a bike rack and 2 bikes. Our concern is how the weight will affect (lower) the back end of the car (and raise the front end). Our current bike rack, Rocky Mount Back Stage used on our truck weighs 59lbs and needs a 2" receiver. Curtis receiver would weigh about 28lbs. 2 ebikes would total 56lbs.

Total weight about 150lbs hanging off the back of the PHEV.

Has anyone had this much weight off the back of their PHEV? Any issues? Lose much ground to car clearance? Handling issues?

We could just get a lighter set up (and do have a stable of very light bikes) dropping final weight to 100lbs, but would like to avoid the cost of a new rack and needed storage.

Feed back appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
2019 PHEV. We want to install a hitch receiver for a bike rack and 2 bikes. Our concern is how the weight will affect (lower) the back end of the car (and raise the front end). Our current bike rack, Rocky Mount Back Stage used on our truck weighs 59lbs and needs a 2" receiver. Curtis receiver would weigh about 28lbs. 2 ebikes would total 56lbs.

Has anyone had this much weight off the back of their PHEV? Any issues? Lose much ground to car clearance? Handling issues?

We could just get a lighter set up (and do have a stable of very light bikes) dropping final weight to 100lbs, but would like to avoid the cost of a new rack and needed storage.

Feed back appreciated.

Thanks!
There has already been a lot of discussion about this, and it boils down to personal preference. Some people insist on nothing but the class III 2" receiver for rigidity and ability to carry heavier loads with it. However that comes with the penalties of added weight taking away from usable weight, reduced fuel economy, and decreased handling for such a light car.
My personal preference is to minimize these penalties by using a class II 1-1/4" receiver at half the weight, especially if the only thing you are going to use it for is occasionally hauling 2 bikes. The class II is already overdesigned for such a light load.
My personal preference would be to invest in a lighter set up.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Just a suggestion, but for a fraction of the cost, you can get a much lighter rack weighing around 10 pounds that is strap mounted to your hatch. This will hold the bikes closer to your Niro with much less leverage than a hitch mount that may sway and cost ground clearance (probably not so much). As a bonus, mpg will also be better.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Feed back appreciated.

Thanks!
You might want to take a look at what some people are already doing:
One guy even pulls his race car with the NIRO EV and has put air Lift bags on to haul more weight.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Premium (Canada)
16 Posts
You can reduce the weight of ebikes by removing the battery. That saves at least 10 lb. per bike. Removing the battery also makes it easier to load and unload the bikes.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Premium (Canada)
16 Posts
I had a Curt hitch installed on my HEV and I'm using a Swagman Escapee bike rack. Loading 2 electric assist bikes lowered the rear of the car by 3/4 inch. Not great but not a problem for short distances.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have not noticed the rear sagging at all with the hitch and 3 bikes installed. I attribute this to the car having a heavier rear end than normal due to the PHEV battery. The car is effectively 50/50 weight distribution where typical cars are 70/30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts