Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very cool video from @EV-olution installing aftermarket gas struts for the hood. Like him the fact that the Niro has a cheesy prop rod for the hood has always bugged me a bit.

I'm going to look into getting a set of these for my '18 PHEV. Props for a great video on the install!

·
Registered
114 Posts
A very cool video from @EV-olution installing aftermarket gas struts for the hood. Like him the fact that the Niro has a cheesy prop rod for the hood has always bugged me a bit.

I'm going to look into getting a set of these for my '18 PHEV. Props for a great video on the install!
Thanks for sharing my video, I appreciate it. They really make a difference and I will really love them this winter when it is -25C and dark outside. No more messing with the stupid prop stand trying to find the hole it goes in. Just a note, as mentioned in the description of the video, be sure to grease the ball sockets on each end of the struts before you install them. I forgot to do it while making the video.

Reactions: Delayed Penalty

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the strut kit through amazon. Bit of fair warning here, After I initially looked at the amazon kit, I found similar on ebay for much cheaper. That bit me in the but, and I ended up with a useless kit that doesn't fit due to the ball studs being too large to fit the vehicle threaded holes.
Anyways, the amazon one worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm glad the Niro has a cheesy prop up strut. Simple and effective. Wish my Sedona had the same thing now that the struts give out and needs the top of my head to hold the hood open,:mad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the strut kit through amazon. Bit of fair warning here, After I initially looked at the amazon kit, I found similar on ebay for much cheaper. That bit me in the but, and I ended up with a useless kit that doesn't fit due to the ball studs being too large to fit the vehicle threaded holes.
It's a shame you did not use the link in my video, they are inexpensive and fit perfectly. I am glad you finally got it sorted out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm glad the Niro has a cheesy prop up strut. Simple and effective. Wish my Sedona had the same thing now that the struts give out and needs the top of my head to hold the hood open,:mad:
For the number of times that I need to open my hood I am very happy to have the struts, especially at night when there is no light to see the little hole the prop needs to fit into. For the low price and easy install, even if they only last a few years I will be more than happy. So far they are still like new and even though it is pretty cold here now (down to -20C) they hold the hood like they do in warm weather. Time will tell how they last, but after just over 1 year they are still excellent.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I notice when the weather is cold, sometimes the gas filled hatch struts don't hold - actually surprising me when the hood comes down on my head. So no way would I be interested in paying extra a hood mod for that experience. And in 45,000 miles of ownership, my time with the hood up is less than one hour total.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have had bad experiences with prop rods and windy conditions.
I can see that. However, pretty darned unlikely with the Niro (cannot speak about other cars). Try simulating wind gusts by moving the propped hood up and down. I cannot make it accidentally release even on purpose! It is apparently designed to eliminate such bad experiences. Just tried it - still under an hour hood time in 45,000 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Link to the amazon kit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts