Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It used to auto lock when I walked away from the car. Now, it stopped working. Anyone know how to turn it back on?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was told by a saleman that this feature existed, but I haven't seen it since I've had the car (2 1/2 weeks) nor have I seen a setting for it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The only auto lock I have seen on the '18 EX is when you shift into drive, or achieve a certain speed. Parking and walking away won't auto lock anything!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the car a few days ago... and I swear it was auto locking when I walked a certain distance from it.... I heard the door lock click every single time... I even tested it out the other night to make sure... I walked away, heard the click, placed the key on the ground, and walked towards the car... and sure enough, it was locked. However, now it stopped doing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought this was a feature also, so used to having this feature on all my previous cars. Is it only the top of the line Grand Touring package that does this? I have the EX Tech package.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Let's face it, some salesmen don't have a clue what they are selling, but will say anything to make the sale! Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured it out!

I know what it was.. The factory alarm from the dealership had a proximity autolock. After I complained to them about a blinking blue light that wouldn't stop, they disabled the alarm.... which also disabled the proximity autolock

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Umm...pretty sure there's no factory alarm for the Niro.
Try this: keep a window open, lock the car, take the key fob 20 feet away, and open the door that has the window open. Factory alarm will sound.

You can also sit in the car and use the key fob to lock the doors. Now open a door manually and the alarm will sound, at least mine does. A bit odd as the car can sense the key fob is inside the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umm...pretty sure there's no factory alarm for the Niro.

Factory/Dealer alarm... When I bought the car, I opted out of it and the salesperson tried over and over to convince me to keep it on. I got about $900 knocked off the price for opting out. There was a blinking blue light from the alarm that they forgot to disable, so I had to go back to the dealer for them to turn it off.. The autolock stopped working after... So, that's how I know

·
Registered
109 Posts
Factory/Dealer alarm... When I bought the car, I opted out of it and the salesperson tried over and over to convince me to keep it on. I got about $900 knocked off the price for opting out. There was a blinking blue light from the alarm that they forgot to disable, so I had to go back to the dealer for them to turn it off.. The autolock stopped working after... So, that's how I know
There's no factory alarm system on the Niro. It would have been dealer installed. ANd if they didn't remove the light but they removed the entire rest of the system, it kinda makes me wonder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's no factory alarm system on the Niro. It would have been dealer installed. ANd if they didn't remove the light but they removed the entire rest of the system, it kinda makes me wonder.

After talking to the salesperson, I'm pretty sure they forget to disable the entire alarm before I left.. I could have kept it for free had I not complained about the light. His response to me complaining about it was... "You took off before we could disable the alarm". When I went back, they used some kind of remote handheld device that had a bunch of buttons on it to disable it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
After talking to the salesperson, I'm pretty sure they forget to disable the entire alarm before I left.. I could have kept it for free had I not complained about the light. His response to me complaining about it was... "You took off before we could disable the alarm". When I went back, they used some kind of remote handheld device that had a bunch of buttons on it to disable it.
Ok, suddenly I REALLY don't trust this dealer of yours very much. :nerd:

·
Registered
54 Posts
As another data point, I have EX w/Tech package as well, and it definitely does not auto-lock.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I'm not sure what some dealers are doing but there IS a factory alarm on all the 2017 models, it's in the manual........ I have NO clue about 2018 models,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as a dealer even implying that you can "opt out",,,,,,,,,,,it's STANDARD EQUIPMENT. I'm on a Kia Niro USA Facebook page and there is a lady with a BIZZARRE story,,,,,,,,,,,,,her dealer said the Kia Niro warranty was 3 yrs/36,000 (that's standard for all cars EXCEPT Kia and Hyundai which is 5 yrs/60,000 miles bumper to bumper).......... I didnt' believe her, she took a picture of the bill of sale and sure enough there it was!!!! Also they sold her a LIFETIME powertrain warranty for something like $3,000 to $4,000!!!!! HMMMM Kia & Hyundai offer 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranties on ALL models..................

It seems to me that some dealers are doing some shady things!!!! I don't know how ANY dealer could get away with stating that any new Kia or Hyundai has a 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper when they are all clearly 5yr/60,000 mile and 10yr/100,000 powertrain..........this IS one of the major selling points of the Kia & Hyundai brands afterall.

My 2017 Niro EX and a friends 2017 Niro FE (lowest trim level least expensive Niro) BOTH have the factory alarm installed as STANDARD EQUIPMENT. If they charged you extra for it, they were simply being dishonest and "padding" their sales and profit numbers at your expense.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts