Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check settings. I believe you can set car to auto lock every time you leave it. Of course there cannot be key inside car and you have to have your key in your pocket.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not sure what some dealers are doing but there IS a factory alarm on all the 2017 models, it's in the manual........ I have NO clue about 2018 models,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as a dealer even implying that you can "opt out",,,,,,,,,,,it's STANDARD EQUIPMENT. I'm on a Kia Niro USA Facebook page and there is a lady with a BIZZARRE story,,,,,,,,,,,,,her dealer said the Kia Niro warranty was 3 yrs/36,000 (that's standard for all cars EXCEPT Kia and Hyundai which is 5 yrs/60,000 miles bumper to bumper).......... I didnt' believe her, she took a picture of the bill of sale and sure enough there it was!!!! Also they sold her a LIFETIME powertrain warranty for something like $3,000 to $4,000!!!!! HMMMM Kia & Hyundai offer 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranties on ALL models..................
Actually, my dealer offered me the same deal on a lifetime warranty, so it's not unheard of. They're not all that expensive when you buy it with the car (and roll it into the financing that the dealer gets a kickback on, of course). They don't always cover all that much though: by 100k miles almost anything is a "wear item."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, many dealers (perhaps most) operate in very shady ways.

Note that many dealers install a SECOND alarm (in addition to the factory alarm) as standard practice for that dealership - usually (but not always) it is a cheap knock-off of LoJack which only lasts about 2 to 3 years, and often the dealer does not disclose this alarm was installed except as one line buried deep in the installment sale contract's "(optional) theft deterrent devices" section. Usually, this is done in order to more easily facilitate the bank's future repo efforts - so if the dealership is adding an actual alarm you can turn on and off, they're installing the alarm for your benefit, and if it is a non-disclosed GPS tracker, it is installed for the bank's benefit.

Also note that despite the 10/100 powertrain warranty and the 5/60 bumper-to-bumper, all electronics in the car including the stereo and everything installed in the dash are only covered for 3/36.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It used to auto lock when I walked away from the car. Now, it stopped working. Anyone know how to turn it back on?

I noticed something interesting here! My 2017 Niro EX does NOT lock the doors automatically IF you were driving, PARK, shut the car off and get out, (I walked far away from it) and it did NOT lock the doors, BUT if you approach the car, unlock it and open the door to get something out of the car, if you close the door and walk away, it DOES re-lock the doors............

Yes there are settings for auto locking in the setup menu but nothing to auto lock the doors upon exit of the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess I noticed this unconsciously and got used to pressing the door lock button. I wonder if it has any connection to the locking charge door and the way it locks and opens with the doors? When I get home, my habit is to open the charge door and plug in the cable and then lock the door (and charge cable locks automatically when I do this). If the car and charge door auto locked when I walked away then it would be frustrating to have to unlock the car to charge and lock it again. Unless of course it could just have both proximity unlock and lock..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found some interesting info here at the kniro.net site. I just registered so can't include links so do what you have to in order for the following to make sense...

Kia Niro : Description and operation : Keyless Entry And Burglar Alarm
www dot kniro dot net slash description_and_operation-1763 dot html

Seems to detail different car lock and alarm modes including an auto lock mode, but probably not applicable to US model cars. Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see the instructions on how to activate the different modes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The first Kia dealership that I visited had an amazing bit of technology: their sales people had magic key fobs that could unlock the doors of any car on the lot. I found that a little disconcerting, so I read up on it and came up with an article (thetruthaboutcars.com slash 2016/08/never-buy-car-alarm-dealership/) that suggests that some dealers install after-market systems to protect themselves and also make things more convenient for their sales organization, and then they try to resell it to customers at a huge markup. Personally, I don't care for the idea of purchasing a "new" car that has already had the wiring harness cut into by the dealer. Glad I wound up purchasing my Niro PHEV from a different dealer that didn't do that.

As for the autolocking thing, I'm still trying to figure that out too. I programmed my mirrors to fold when I leave the car and lock the door. It's a nice feature in that it gives me a visual indication of whether the doors are locked or not. If I lock the doors with the key fob, the mirrors fold. I walk away and come back a while later and once I get close to the car with the key fob in my pocket, the mirrors unfold and the door will unlock if I push the button on the door handle. If I walk away instead of pushing the button, the mirrors fold up again as soon as the key fob is about 10 feet away. But if I don't deliberately lock the doors with the key fob, then it doesn't lock and mirrors don't fold. There's probably a programming option somewhere that tweaks this behavior, but I haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro HEV Touring Special Edition
63 Posts
If you go to shark racing (google it) they sell a module that will add this feature (and some other really nifty features) but only shows for a Kona. I would reach out to them and see if it would work for the Niro as well.

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
23 Posts
There's no factory alarm system on the Niro. It would have been dealer installed. ANd if they didn't remove the light but they removed the entire rest of the system, it kinda makes me wonder.
Oddly enough, my new '21 LX base model has a factory alarm, complete with a red flashing LED on the dash. I'm not sure which year it became standard, but I'm glad mine has it. It doesn't have proximity key, so it definitely doesn't lock itself when walking away from it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts