Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know who among you guys are residing in Manitoba and to ask hows you Niro been doing in this very cold winter weather? Mines too bad. I got it towed 3x already because the vehicle wont start. Anyone having the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
I feel for those in WinterPeg. It is really cold out there and I don't know how well the batteries are to taking the -30c overnight temps for extended periods of time. Then again, I am not sure that a regualar ICE car will fare much better, but they have usually an engine block heater installed to help out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ottawa - yup been cold not sure how we compare to Winnipeg .. and lots of snow this week. No problem starting (and we had some bitterly cold days as well last year). But this polar vortex the past week gave me the worst fuel economy rating in 1.5 years .. 9/2 l/100kms. But this is Canada .. and this is winter ..

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As I understand it, there is a built in capacity for a block heater on the Niro. Doesn't do a lot for the battery of course, other than slighter faster indirect warming via faster cabin heating.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
As I understand it, there is a built in capacity for a block heater on the Niro. Doesn't do a lot for the battery of course, other than slighter faster indirect warming via faster cabin heating.
Yup there is, it's always in option and came installed on my first HEV.! (did not ask for it, it came with the car hahaha)

I had a blast to start my PHEV in those cold canadian -35c this week end! the trick. you do 1-2 km on the EV and you push the HEV button to start the heating for the cabin! geeeeeee it was cold! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
What kind of EV range do you have in that weather?

On a full EV charge with 42km (26 miles) i can do ~ 37km (23 miles). it's true that you loose some charge beacause of the extreme cold, but regenerating breaking helps to gain some km in the process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have a Niro yet, but my c max energi EV range dropped from 20 miles to 9 miles and the software forced the engine on for maintenance quite a bit.
I am looking to get a Niro EV when it's available in the area, but it concerns me that you had yours towed 3x. My car is always parked outside on the driveway. My wife's c max energi gets the garage.
We live 150 miles from Winnipeg in Minnesota.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Did my next fuel up and it hasn't been too bad really. We were not nearly as cold as Manitoba but have had some weeks that were getting close. My last fillup worked out to 6.5L/100 and the actual is the same as what is displayed on my dash, so I can't complain. And I know that I am easily 1/2 what my Ford Edge was getting in winter, and far better than the Mercedies that we got rental while my wifes Niro was in for body repair after getting sideswiped. Will say it was a good investment to get the Niro.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Did my next fuel up and it hasn't been too bad really. We were not nearly as cold as Manitoba but have had some weeks that were getting close. My last fillup worked out to 6.5L/100 and the actual is the same as what is displayed on my dash, so I can't complain. Will say it was a good investment to get the Niro.
Did the same with the PHEV, second fuel up after a 780km for 3½ weeks. but did not as much recharge this time because i could of gone like the first one in December with a 1700km. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a Niro yet, but my c max energi EV range dropped from 20 miles to 9 miles and the software forced the engine on for maintenance quite a bit.
I am looking to get a Niro EV when it's available in the area, but it concerns me that you had yours towed 3x. My car is always parked outside on the driveway. My wife's c max energi gets the garage.
We live 150 miles from Winnipeg in Minnesota.
Yes, 3x and its still in the dealership till now because they cant duplicate the probpem and cant fix it. They said that tje vehicle is starting since it was towed there 3 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Yes, 3x and its still in the dealership till now because they cant duplicate the probpem and cant fix it. They said that tje vehicle is starting since it was towed there 3 weeks ago.
That is starting too be long.! what does Kia Canada (not the dealer) has too say about this issue ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ottawa - yup been cold not sure how we compare to Winnipeg .. and lots of snow this week. No problem starting (and we had some bitterly cold days as well last year). But this polar vortex the past week gave me the worst fuel economy rating in 1.5 years .. 9/2 l/100kms. But this is Canada .. and this is winter ..

I'm in Toronto and I have a 2018 kia niro touring edition, I've seen my Litre/100km float from 7.1 to 9.5L so far this winter....supposedly this is a normal range? Does anyone have any idea if this is true??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes the colder it gets the worse the fuel economy gets. Apparently similar with all hybrid cars .. there are 2 engines to warm up.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Just the one engine. However the battery is less efficient when cold, bringing the apparent drop in mpg percentage greater than in regular cars (although still better mpg than regular cars). Unless you have a very rare hybrid with a heat pump (more common in PHEV and BEV - the Volt for example), you also have extra engine use to keep not only the engine warm, but also the cabin. In a regular car, heat comes from otherwise wasted heat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts