Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious as to how long the brakes last. I heard that the brakes in hybrids don't create heat when brake but instead transfer all that energy to the battery which makes it charge. I now there are factors that make them wear out more quickly such as braking hard and stop and go traffic but if you are not this type of driver then how long have they lasted for you?

·
Super Moderator
1,214 Posts
Well, you've actually mixed things together. If the mechanical brakes are applied, they most certainly generate heat and will wear. However, in most hybrid or electric vehicles, when you first press the brake pedal you are in actuality only activating regen braking. This doesn't use the mechanical brakes at all, but instead turn the electric motor into a generator and send power back into the battery. With the Kia Hybrid and PHEV, you can remain in regen sown to about 5 MPH, at which point regen is disabled and the mechanical brakes must be used to completely stop. Also, depending on how hard you brake, regen and mechanical braking could both be used at the same time. In general, light to moderate braking remains in regen only, while heavy/panic braking will bring the disc brakes into play as well.

How long will the brake pads last? Depends entirely on your driving style and use case. But in general most drivers exceed 100,000 miles without any issue, and can go far beyond that. I live on a steep hill, and have always needed brakes within 20,000 miles or so. My daughter's minivan would start shuddering (due to disc warping from heat) within 10,000 miles. Her Pacifica PHEV minivan has aver 40,000 miles with zero brake issues. I only have 15,000 miles on my Niro, and haven't really looked at the brake pads. But I expect they are close to new in wear.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at my brakes front and back and they still look like new. I don't see any lines. I used to have a 14' Prius and I remember one time that those brakes lasted me 90k.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
252 Posts
While not a direct comparison I can tell you that our 2008 Prius which we bought new and traded in on our 2019 Niro had over 1/2 its brake pads left with over 150,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
atc98092 gives a great description on how brakes in a hybrid work. Just for comparison my last Prius was a 2012 and had 166k mi. on it and at it's last oil change the toyota mechanic said it had 3 mm. left and should last another 10k. mi. easy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
after 12 mos/4000 mi my pads measured 8 mm in front, 9 mm rear. after 24 mos/8000 miles they were 7 mm front and rear. i drive around 40/60 highway/local.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am just curious as to how long the brakes last. I heard that the brakes in hybrids don't create heat when brake but instead transfer all that energy to the battery which makes it charge. I now there are factors that make them wear out more quickly such as braking hard and stop and go traffic but if you are not this type of driver then how long have they lasted for you?
Had a 2014 Ford C-Max hybrid, had 100,000 miles and pads were less than half worn I expect, my 2018 Niro plug in to do at least as well. I'm a conservative driver. I do plan to change brake fluid every 2 years to prevent system corosion in this moist Florida climate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts