Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My calculation so far is that it takes 8.2 kWh to fully charge after battery is in HEV mode (showing 0 miles left). That seems high to me; anyone else measure it?

The Prius Prime, with an 8.8 kWh battery goes 25 miles and owners are saying it takes 6.5 kWh to charge.

FYI I am using a Siemens level 2 charger, calculating the kWh via PGE (2-5 am, subtracting my normal minimal house use at that time of .3 kWh per hour) Not a huge deal, but I couldn't find any other reports online so I thought I'd check here.

Love the Niro, just trying to make some estimates of costs to charge.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My calculation so far is that it takes 8.2 kWh to fully charge after battery is in HEV mode (showing 0 miles left). That seems high to me; anyone else measure it?

The Prius Prime, with an 8.8 kWh battery goes 25 miles and owners are saying it takes 6.5 kWh to charge.

FYI I am using a Siemens level 2 charger, calculating the kWh via PGE (2-5 am, subtracting my normal minimal house use at that time of .3 kWh per hour) Not a huge deal, but I couldn't find any other reports online so I thought I'd check here.

Love the Niro, just trying to make some estimates of costs to charge.
I measure power at the wall outlet so it's within a few percent.

Your 8.2 is consistent with my experience (8.5 is the max I've measured ). 8.9 is the rated capacity so a 0.7 reserve gets your number.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I measure power at the wall outlet so it's within a few percent.

Your 8.2 is consistent with my experience (8.5 is the max I've measured ). 8.9 is the rated capacity so a 0.7 reserve gets your number.
FWIW. the EPA sticker on the window says:

32 kW-hrs per 100 miles (3.1 mi per kWhr)
26 mi EV range

26 mi * 32 kWhrs/100mi = 8.3 kWhrs for full range

That's pretty close to your 8.2.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Really, power delivered to charge your battery should exceed received power because of transmission losses. If it is less than that in the Prius or Niro it is because of reserve battery capacity that the manufacturers are not telling you about. I doubt the PHEV will allow the full capacity of the battery to be charged. EVs might allow it, but that is not good management of the battery life if you don't need that much range daily. For PHEVs, the manufacturers have taken that decision away from you to increase battery life. That smaller PHEV battery would have a very short life if allowed to charge and discharge frequently.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks! You say 8.5 is your max; what is your average?
I would say 8-8.5kWhrs. I don't think the car's reserve/empty level is a hard number. On the other hand, I don't do a full charge very often since I rarely drive till empty before recharging over night. Thus I have limited data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts