Kia Niro Forum banner

How reliable has your Niro been?

• I've had a serious fault. my car has been out of comission for over 20 days to get fixed

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I've had a serious fault. my car has been out of comission for less than 20 days to get fixed

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I've had the usual type of warrany items that got fixed but my car was never unusable

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I haven't had anything really go wrong with my car that I would bother to mention

Votes: 67 81.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
The recalls for minor things is about it.

I did have one warranty item - heard a thumping noise in the rear for a time, took it in and dealer found a suspension item loose (as I remember was the sway bar).

Other that that, the thing has issues --
1) jerkyness (whatever you call it - mine is not too bad and I hive lived with it),
2) entertainment system acts funny at times (and will not Bluetooth read my contacts on a new phone),
3) heat and air fan is aggravating (sometimes is high and sometimes low - requires adjusting it manually),
4) the heat / air gets directed to defrost somehow (have to manually put it back to desired direction).
5) At 36,300 miles noted front tires wearing off on inside (about 2 inches) and are worn more than the back (expected). PS: I had not rotated them until 36,300 miles (MY BAD).
6) Left Rear Tire (original Michelin) developed road noise (a lot) many miles ago. Rotating to the front has reduced the noise as just don't hear it as much being on front vs at back. The tire has feathering on the tread (inside about 2 inches).

OTHER THAN THAT -- I like the handling, power is OK, gas mileage at 50+ MPG for 36,300 miles is GREAT, and it is comfortable enough, and has enough storage for that size car. It is a bit low seated (so harder to get in and out than standard SUV) but better than most sedans. I do like sitting higher in SUV for visibility.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are a number of threads about catastrophic failures in their car, but without a context to how likely this is for all owners. So why not have a poll to see if having a failure is for Niro owners
Great idea. I have had zero issues with my 2019 Niro EV with over 24,000km since May 6th 2019 and love it. The biggest problem in the last month has been not driving it because of confinement :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my 2017 Niro FE new in April 2017. Currently at 82K miles. Only major failure was the A/C compressor which required 3 trips to the selling dealer...and a month total out of service. What is very curious is how, after the third trip to the dealer, they had the A/C compressor in stock (when I asked the service advisor how it came to be that the compressor was in stock, he stated that he had no idea). Anyway, I am very glad that I bought the extended warranty as the total cost of the compressor replacement would have been near $3000US. I find this very disturbing. I have been a licensed driver for nearly 41 years and I have never had an A/C compressor fail.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I bought my 2017 Niro FE new in April 2017. Currently at 82K miles. Only major failure was the A/C compressor which required 3 trips to the selling dealer...and a month total out of service. What is very curious is how, after the third trip to the dealer, they had the A/C compressor in stock (when I asked the service advisor how it came to be that the compressor was in stock, he stated that he had no idea). Anyway, I am very glad that I bought the extended warranty as the total cost of the compressor replacement would have been near $3000US. I find this very disturbing. I have been a licensed driver for nearly 41 years and I have never had an A/C compressor fail.
I dunno, I've been driving for almost as long and I've had 2 compressors fail on me in that time. Like any other mechanical system they wear and can fail. Now, in your case it's defnitely an eary failure, hopefully just a bad part and not indicative of a design flaw.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I find this very disturbing. I have been a licensed driver for nearly 41 years and I have never had an A/C compressor fail.
This is only my second car in 45 years with AC! However, there is another point of failure with this AC that your other cars did not have: it has it's own high voltage motor. Most car ACs are belt driven.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our up to now totally reliable 19 touring hybrid has hit a possible snag. Yesterday i started it up and the engine icon light came on . I checked the gas cap it seemed okay tried to give it a twist then drove for 39 kilometers. Today we went for a 80 k cruise in the country and then parked light still on . Today is sunday so i guess I'll talk to dealer tomorrow. . I wish it could have waited til covid was a little more settled. I will post when i know more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The hybrid tech at my local dealership quit and apparently it takes a long time to train a new one. Apparently only a hybrid tech is allowed to do warranty work on the hybrid vehicles even if it’s not hybrid related which seems to me to be a ridiculous policy. My oil was leaking and they wanted me to drive 75 miles to the nearest competing Kia dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned my 2018 KIA Graphite Edition now for nearly two years, and not one single problem, and there's surely not too many Prius owners out there that can say the same thing. As an engineer, I cannot see electrical vehicles taking over, as I see Hydrogen the fuel of the future.
Hybrid will get us thru a period of time until the US might realize that we are need to be building power plants, and we are so behind Europe on mass transit, it is truly embarrassing.
If any of you are going to sell your Touring Edition Niro, word has got out on their dependability, so ask top dollar for them.
You have problems with KIA automobiles if you have a heavy foot. If you don't have a Stinger, then except the fact that moderation is the word of the day.
I see youngster's gunning these vehicles and the hybrids are not made to stand that kind of driving. The Stinger will, believe me.
Blessings to All

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've only had my 2019 Niro S Touring for 2 months and 4300 miles, and it's performed flawlessly so far. My first hybrid so it took some getting used to, but in doing research prior to buying my Niro, I've found out that it's one of the few hybrids that is most like a nonhybrid vehicle. In how it drives, braking, everything. I'm a Kia owner now for 7 years, and I won't own anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The recalls for minor things is about it.

I did have one warranty item - heard a thumping noise in the rear for a time, took it in and dealer found a suspension item loose (as I remember was the sway bar).

Other that that, the thing has issues --
1) jerkyness (whatever you call it - mine is not too bad and I hive lived with it),
2) entertainment system acts funny at times (and will not Bluetooth read my contacts on a new phone),
3) heat and air fan is aggravating (sometimes is high and sometimes low - requires adjusting it manually),
4) the heat / air gets directed to defrost somehow (have to manually put it back to desired direction).
5) At 36,300 miles noted front tires wearing off on inside (about 2 inches) and are worn more than the back (expected). PS: I had not rotated them until 36,300 miles (MY BAD).
6) Left Rear Tire (original Michelin) developed road noise (a lot) many miles ago. Rotating to the front has reduced the noise as just don't hear it as much being on front vs at back. The tire has feathering on the tread (inside about 2 inches).

OTHER THAN THAT -- I like the handling, power is OK, gas mileage at 50+ MPG for 36,300 miles is GREAT, and it is comfortable enough, and has enough storage for that size car. It is a bit low seated (so harder to get in and out than standard SUV) but better than most sedans. I do like sitting higher in SUV for visibility.
Regarding your heat/air issues, do you have Automatic Climate Control? If yes, then you likely have the "Auto Defogging System". Look it up on the Ops Manual and turn it off. I have all kinds of heating/cooling/fan issues until I turned it off. Since then, Automatic Climate Control issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 2020 GT
2 Posts
I've just bought my second Niro after moving countires.
My first was 2017 Hybrid First Edition - loved it as got to 40k with it and the only thing was buggy Car Play
Just bought 2020 Hybrid GT Edition and put 400 miles in three days getting around and my only comment is the front USB charger doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Wondering if your iPhone Lightning port needs to have the pocket lint cleaned out. That causes more problems like you describe than any other. But the car circuitry may be bad, that's under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my '19 PHEV for about a year and a half, 17k miles. Only issues have been a slight knocking when applying the brakes (didn't affect braking effectiveness) which the dealer fixed under warranty and a slight jerking accelerating from stop in EV mode. The jerking isn't bad, similar to a gear shift, not accompanied by any noise, so I just put it down to Kia's programming for power delivery in EV mode and just live with it. It's much smoother when it's in HEV mode (when both the electric motor and engine are delivering power), so I just figured they took the same power delivery curve for the electric motor and applied it whether it was in HEV or EV mode. Just my guess though. Otherwise the Niro's been great. Taken several long distance road trips, ski trips, etc.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've just bought my second Niro after moving countires.
My first was 2017 Hybrid First Edition - loved it as got to 40k with it and the only thing was buggy Car Play
Just bought 2020 Hybrid GT Edition and put 400 miles in three days getting around and my only comment is the front USB charger doesn't work.
I think the front USB port is more like a data port that has a tiny amount of charge available. My Samsung phone takes a long time to charge when I use Android Auto, which requires a USB data cable be plugged in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the front USB port is more like a data port that has a tiny amount of charge available. My Samsung phone takes a long time to charge when I use Android Auto, which requires a USB data cable be plugged in.
That must be changed in my 2019 Niro EV because my main USB port charges my phone normally. It is not a quick charge port though.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It's much smoother when it's in HEV mode (when both the electric motor and engine are delivering power), so I just figured they took the same power delivery curve for the electric motor and applied it whether it was in HEV or EV mode.
I'm wondering if the algorithms for rev matching during gear shifts are the difference between EV or engine on modes. I would have expected it to be smoother in EV mode as I'd guess the motor would be faster matching revs and possibly more controllable and accurate than the engine.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts