Kia Niro Forum banner

How reliable has your Niro been?

• I've had a serious fault. my car has been out of comission for over 20 days to get fixed

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I've had a serious fault. my car has been out of comission for less than 20 days to get fixed

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I've had the usual type of warrany items that got fixed but my car was never unusable

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I haven't had anything really go wrong with my car that I would bother to mention

Votes: 67 81.7%

• Total voters
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Niro is less than a week old so no problems yet. However, I do find myself cursing the car where I feel my old car was better. My last car was a Honda Jazz (Fit) and although I would never want a car with a CVT box again I find some small annoyances in the Niro.

The first is that the automatic lights feature can be turned off during driving so no lights are on at all; that was impossible in the Honda Jazz. The Niro has no speed sign recognition but the Jazz does. The Niro has no proximity detector at the front (only at the rear) The Jazz has them front and rear. The front head restraints cannot be tilted to a better position. The Jazz can be easily adjusted to do this. Of course, I will forget these differences and will probably similarly moan when I get another car in three years time just as I did when I got my Jazz and compared it to a previous car.

What I am really trying to say, is I am an older guy (nearly seventy) and adapting to change is not so easy, especially in this technological world.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I still miss almost every car I've ever owned. Everyone of them had advantages that the others did not. That said, the Niro is by far the best car I've ever owned. But it also has more serious annoyances that no previous car has had. Starting with the lack of actual control over the HVAC. I'd happily give up the infotainment system for HVAC controls from 40 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best HVAC for me is one with simple manual controls - a large dial to control the temperature and a similarly-sized dial to control where the air comes out. That way I do not need to look at the controls in order to use them. Modern day systems have to many controls/buttons and if you press one button it may enable or disable some feature (available on another button) as a side effect. I had hope the physical buttons on the Niro would be much better than the touch buttons on the Jazz, but they are only marginally better. I long for the days of my Vauxhall Astra which had simple controls.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's the best car I've had, i find the heating cooling works well but is a bit confusing. I love the heated seats and especially the heated steering wheel. On our 19 touring hev the lane control works ok and doesn't annoy me . After a year the door locks still kind of annoy me. Before we bought this car neither of us had a smart phone just flip phones. I find android auto to be a pain. We only bought the pixel 3a because of the car . So in some ways life was simpler with an old focus and a flip phone but i really enjoy this car because it's so smooth quiet and modern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's the best car I've had, i find the heating cooling works well but is a bit confusing. I love the heated seats and especially the heated steering wheel. On our 19 touring hev the lane control works ok and doesn't annoy me . After a year the door locks still kind of annoy me. Before we bought this car neither of us had a smart phone just flip phones. I find android auto to be a pain. We only bought the pixel 3a because of the car . So in some ways life was simpler with an old focus and a flip phone but i really enjoy this car because it's so smooth quiet and modern.
I also use a Pixel 3a but would never contact it to Android Auto or even WiFi/Bluetooth outside my home as it gives so much information to Google. I have even installed Graphene OS on the Pixel 3a to hinder Google tracking. When I need a SatNav I use a standalone Garmin unit.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The best HVAC for me is one with simple manual controls - a large dial to control the temperature and a similarly-sized dial to control where the air comes out. That way I do not need to look at the controls in order to use them.
Or conversely, a single glance will inform you of the settings. Did you know that the AC can be on and the AC button not lit? All thanks to the auto defog system (ADS). You can turn off ADS if you want full (er) control with a long press on the front defrost button. That option stays sticky until you change it, unlike many other options.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I still miss almost every car I've ever owned. Everyone of them had advantages that the others did not. That said, the Niro is by far the best car I've ever owned. But it also has more serious annoyances that no previous car has had. Starting with the lack of actual control over the HVAC. I'd happily give up the infotainment system for HVAC controls from 40 years ago.
I don't miss my old AMC Hornet:mad: But I DO miss my old Spitfire Orange Roadrunner..beep. beep:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm wondering if the algorithms for rev matching during gear shifts are the difference between EV or engine on modes. I would have expected it to be smoother in EV mode as I'd guess the motor would be faster matching revs and possibly more controllable and accurate than the engine.
I would have expected the same. My guess was that in HEV they balance power delivery from the motor and engine, using all motor from stop, then when the engine kicks in they cut some power from the motor which results in nonlinear electric power delivery. Then they didn't change that algorithm when in pure EV mode. I could be totally wrong though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Our 2018 Niro PHEV is two years old today with 7,059 miles on it. After the first year, I took it in for an oil change and to see if there were any warranty repairs for its model year. There was something minor they did under warranty but I've forgotten what it was. This year I'll be taking it into service to rotate the tires at 7,500 miles and to see if there's any updated warranty repairs needed. I mostly drive the car locally in EV mode, but the gas engine has performed well on out of town shopping trips. This is the best car we've ever owned and apart from driving in EV mode, the best gas mileage we've ever had. We still own a 1999 Hyundai Elantra with over 118,000 miles on it. The Niro still seems like driving a spaceship compared to the 21 year old Elantra.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I too had a Honda Fit (Jazz) - 2011. Then drove a 2017 VW Golf for two years before moving to my 2019 Niro PHEV (5,800 miles).
The Fit was a great little car, simple, fun, fuel efficient ICE, very utilitarian, but was not very comfortable on the mean streets of Seattle.
Golf was also a great small car, similar to the Fit in many ways but lots more power, comfort and tech; a fun city car! But I wanted something a bit larger and had the EV bug so I got the Niro. I miss certain aspects of both the Fit & Golf, but the Niro is the best of the bunch. I don't think I ever understand all the potential electronic nuances of it (true of the Golf also) but for me the Niro is definitely the best of the bunch.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts