Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are new owners of a 2019 Niro EV+ with the Premium trim package. The car originated in California, U.S.A. and has just arrived in Costa Rica.

We need to change the units displayed on the speedometer from mph to kph to comply with the safety inspection program.

We’ve searched the Owner’s and Multimedia System Manuals looking for the procedure without finding a definite answer. The Multimedia System Manual does indicate that the units for the navigation system can be selected using the menu option:
All Menus>Setup>Navigation>Display>Unit:
It does not indicate what units are available or if changing units in the navigation system will also change the units on the Speedometer.

If our car was here I would test this myself. Unfortunately it is a 4 hour drive away so I would like to have a proven solution before making that trip.

If anyone has an answer about how to change the speedometer to display kph or if someone could be so kind as to test the above procedure and determine if it does change the speedometer we would be HUGELY GRATEFUL!!!

FYI... we are also pursuing an answer from Kia but have not yet received an answer.

TIA for any help you can provide!

·
Super Moderator
997 Posts
I'd have to look again, but I believe the settings for the speed (and other dash display items) are changed via the settings menu on the dash, not the infotainment system. For the most part, they are two separate systems.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I don't think you can change speed units on US spec cars. Are there Kia dealers in Costa Rico? Your best bet is to flash the firmware/software with local or perhaps European sources. It will be difficult to do it without the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
997 Posts
My US Spec car doesn't have a digital speedometer, and it obviously can't be changed to KPH. It does have the KPH scale on the gauge in smaller font. But for the digital display that sits between the speedometer and the power gauge, those readouts can be changed to metric, so the digital speed display would be KPH. That is what I was referring to for changing settings.

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
@Kiawawa , did you try the in the gps settings > display > distance units ? keep posted if it works! (found this setting in a Stinger forum website)

@atc98092, i have checked the USA EV user manual, and even if they write MPG and KMH, there is no option in the LCD display setting to change this particular setting like we have in our (well, mine) PHEV user manual..!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
A GPS setting would only work in such an equipped top trim car that has built in nav, and wouldn't affect the dash reading, which is presumably what CR's regulators want. If such a thing would satisfy satisfy them, they would also accept the easy solution to buy a dash mounted GPS unit for any car. Seems doubtful, but worth exploring in a car that cannot be registered in CR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

Update: No confirmed solution to change speedometer Display from mph to kph. However I’ll share what I’ve learned so far in case it is of value to anyone else.

1. The owner’s manual indicates that using the LCD Display Modes you can go to “User Settings” then “Other Features” to change the units for tire pressure (psi, kPa, bar) and for temperature (F or C). Unfortunately, and perhaps ominously in my case, units for speed and distance are not included here.
  2. WARNING! What follows is hopeful speculation. The LCD Display has a Turn by Turn mode. The Owner’s Manual states “This mode displays the state of the navigation.” The accompanying illustration shows a direction arrow plus the distance in miles “28.7 mi”. Since this LCD Display mode displays data coming from the navigation system it seems clear there is some communication between the navigation system and the LCD Display. The Multimedia System manual indicates there is an option in the Navigation settings to select distance units. It does not specify what units are available. So... if kilometers are available I’m moderately confident the speed units in the navigation system will change to kph AND since the LCD Display does display navigation distance data I’m holding out hope that the distance setting in the navigation unit propagates through to set the speed and distance units in the LCD Display.
I’ll be working with the folks who are handling the importation of our car to test the above theory and then share our results.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
@Kiawawa, here is another anwser from a contact that has a EV model: "On the centre of the Dashboard select, setup, navigation, and the units are right on top of the navigation window."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success! The units displayed by our speedometer have been changed from mph to kph.

Changing the distance units used by the navigation system from miles to kilometers also changed the units displayed in the speedometer and odometer.

Thank You to everyone who responded!

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
Very! welcome! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts