Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So the other day, I went to a park not far from me and discovered that there's a kayak launch there. I stood on the bridge overlooking this beautiful calm river watching kayakers embark and disembark with wistful jealousy and thought "I'd love to be able to do that...maybe I should get a kayak." And then I looked back at my car and was confused, as the roof rack, which I never had reason to think about about before, consists of solid rails. How would one attach a kayak rack, or attach a kayak at all to such a rack? How does that work? Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
314 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
You need some sort of saddles. Mine are called Kayak Wings. There's lots of them available. Sorry it's rotated...
20210526_202914.png

·
Registered
414 Posts

Works for 9' yak. Unconventional but exceedingly easy & low cost. I've taken it 20 miles at speeds up to 55. Just drop both rear seats & slide front seat all the way forward. secure with a rope around bar for sliding seat.

Reactions: Johnxyz

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 6832

Works for 9' yak. Unconventional but exceedingly easy & low cost. I've taken it 20 miles at speeds up to 55. Just drop both rear seats & slide front seat all the way forward. secure with a rope around bar for sliding seat.
As for me, this method is perfect for a single delivery but I think you like to do this regularly. So I'd like to make a "saddle" from two pieces of hard polyfoam. And it will cost almost nothing

·
Registered
542 Posts
As for me, this method is perfect for a single delivery but I think you like to do this regularly. So I'd like to make a "saddle" from two pieces of hard polyfoam. And it will cost almost nothing
Use pool noodles, the bigger diameter ones. They are only a couple of dollars. They will work until they start to fall apart from UV. Just replace them. Only problem is that they get very slippery when wet, so your kayak can slide off when you are loading and dent your front passenger fender...not that I would know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts