Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. On my Prius, I was able to monitor my MPG on a regular basis - while driving, my daily score, and my monthly score. Is this possible fro a Niro PHEX LX? Any input is welcome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there nothing on the actual car? I have an app that I can use but I was hoping I have something on my dash or wherever in the car.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Is there nothing on the actual car? I have an app that I can use but I was hoping I have something on my dash or wherever in the car.
It depends, on my EX Premium PHEV one of the instrument panel displays is an MPG indicator. It's just a horizontal bar indicator but it displays the current average mpg and the (instantaneous?) mpg is displayed graphically. Not perfect, but it works. In my experience the calculation of instantaneous mpg has a large uncertainty so the graph is good enough to tell me how I'm doing right now. The owner's manual implies that the feature is available on bot the regular and premium cluster. Here's the relevant page from the manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
It depends, on my EX Premium PHEV one of the instrument panel displays is an MPG indicator. It's just a horizontal bar indicator but it displays the current average mpg and the (instantaneous?) mpg is displayed graphically. Not perfect, but it works. In my experience the calculation of instantaneous mpg has a large uncertainty so the graph is good enough to tell me how I'm doing right now. The owner's manual implies that the feature is available on bot the regular and premium cluster. Here's the relevant page from the manual:
That display only updates based on your manually resetting it. It does not average the current trip. That is probably the most useful bit of information, how am I doing during my trip...long or short.

Example...when I bought my Fusion Hybrid, I could tell when and where to coast or give power or regen based on comparing yesterdays trip with todays. My commute to work started at 39 mpg, by the time I traded it for the Niro, I was up to 44. Thats progress.

With the Niro, that just isnt easy or even possible. You will be guessing.

With the Ultragauge giving me current mpg feedback, I am actually getting better than EPA on mine. Heck, a trip to Walmart, that originally got 49 mpg, I can easily get up near 60...and that with a Touring model.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That display only updates based on your manually resetting it. It does not average the current trip. That is probably the most useful bit of information, how am I doing during my trip...long or short.

Example...when I bought my Fusion Hybrid, I could tell when and where to coast or give power or regen based on comparing yesterdays trip with todays. My commute to work started at 39 mpg, by the time I traded it for the Niro, I was up to 44. Thats progress.

With the Niro, that just isnt easy or even possible. You will be guessing.

With the Ultragauge giving me current mpg feedback, I am actually getting better than EPA on mine. Heck, a trip to Walmart, that originally got 49 mpg, I can easily get up near 60...and that with a Touring model.
I tried it this morning and while yes, the numeric display is the current average, the bar graph is the "instantaneous" value, kind of like the mpg meter in some older BMWs.

For example, while I was on battery the gauge was off scale high. Once I was using the ICE it fluctuated based on conditions. Seems like something close to what you're looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question...on the Ultragauge...are you using it on a reg HEV or PHEV? and where did you mount it? Thanks!

Mike 2018 niro PHEV

·
Registered
423 Posts
Question...on the Ultragauge...are you using it on a reg HEV or PHEV? and where did you mount it? Thanks!

Mike 2018 niro PHEV
I have a standard hybrid, but it shouldnt matter. The Ultragauge gets its info from the OBD2 port and has a whole lot of readouts of that info. I used a binder clip and a couple of small screws and clipped it mounted to the thin piece of plastic right above the steering column.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know the exact formula the Niro PHEV uses to calculate MPG. Ours left the dealers lot at 26 MPG and now averages 300 MPG. I'm guessing if the hybrid ICE never fired up the mpg will just increase until the display runs out of digits at 999 mpg or even 9999 mpg.

In other words the EV mode adds to the miles but doesn't affect the gallons pushing the MPG higher and higher.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Regarding the Ultragage, I did some research and found on their website the UltraGauge Blue OBDII Adapter which is a BT device that sends the information to an app [Android for me]. Looks good [$80], but there isn't any info just how large the unit is, and given the OBII location the fuse cover would most likely need to be removed [unless I cut the hand opening out]. Has anyone used the BT version? If so how is the unit installed? Even the wired device would require the fuse cover some modification & I would like to not have a cable running up to a seperate device as I already have my phone mounted where I can see it & it's larger than the wired unit.
Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did cut a hole in my fuse cover. Even the wired version is too big.

If you get the bluetooth version, YOU have to start it and tend to it. Not a great solution and you will eventually give it up. I used Torque for a while, same idea. Also, what about streaming your phone to the car etc.

The Ultragauge is always on and always ready with the press of the start button. I would not go for the bluetooth version...

P.S. no wire shows, I ran it inside the dash to the spot under the dashboard. It was easy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the info & I'd appreciate any photo's & how you cut the cover. Under the dashboard, is that where the USB & 12v plugs are?
I'm in no hurry so take care.
"Easy" is a matter of interpretation. I'm a measure once, cut twice, & then start over again.
Exciting!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
They are all about the same size, you won't be able to close the fuse cover. Bluetooth has unlimited display of PIDs on your smartphone, way more flexible than fixed displays. No wiring issues either.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When you turn off the car the dash center display (not the LED between the driver and passenger seat, but the middle of the dash) will show you your trip mpg (while it plays the turn off music). If you miss it you can turn on the instrument panel again in ACC mode and turn it off (I think... or worse case start and shut off the car).

The car has certain rules about when a “trip” resets. I forget the details but I think the car needs to be off for a few hours, do a shopping trip or perhaps even a movie/sporting event may count both ways as one trip.

Lastly the average MPG display can be configured to multiple modes... reset on fill-up, reset on new trip (I think) or reset never.

So between all those options that gives you an approximate instant read bar, a trip indicator and a last tank or indefinite indicator.

·
Registered
423 Posts
When you turn off the car the dash center display (not the LED between the driver and passenger seat, but the middle of the dash) will show you your trip mpg (while it plays the turn off music). If you miss it you can turn on the instrument panel again in ACC mode and turn it off (I think... or worse case start and shut off the car).

The car has certain rules about when a “trip” resets. I forget the details but I think the car needs to be off for a few hours, do a shopping trip or perhaps even a movie/sporting event may count both ways as one trip.

Lastly the average MPG display can be configured to multiple modes... reset on fill-up, reset on new trip (I think) or reset never.

So between all those options that gives you an approximate instant read bar, a trip indicator and a last tank or indefinite indicator.

Again...after the fact does not "teach" you how to drive more efficiently. Instant feedback does.

Its like coming home with a crushed fender and then finding out you drove too close to a stop sign. A bit too late to move over.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts