Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Niro PHEV EX premium. I'm trying to set the "vehicle to vehicle distance" to the highest distance to minimize the annoying tendency for the car to brake when a car ahead slows down (for example to turn). Below is a composite graphic paste from two pages of the rather inadequate user manual that should explain how to do this. But how to tell what setting has been chosen? I see nothing on the dashboard display.
Font Parallel Auto part Circle

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
Yes, there are icons, square in shape: 1 - 4 showing depending on your choice. If you hold the button for several seconds it will turn off the "smart" aspect of the cruise and operate like normal cruise control and then no icons will be shown

·
Registered
86 Posts
This option only runs when in cruise control There should be an indicator on the dash where the cruise control info is that shows the dots. Just tap the button on the steering wheel and it will change the distance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The downside to that, is on a busy road, in areas (like Chicago area) leaving that much space between cars will cause cars to continue to cut in front of you. Let me know how that works for you ( Also, over riding by just accelerting to keep a workable distance, can be done but after while, the cruise control will switch off).

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
I believe there's also a sensitivity setting in the display in front of the driver. That can smooth out operations with the adaptive cruise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 2018 has an icon above the digital mph display that indicates the chosen following distance.
Thanks. Last night I tried it w/car in garage & system on but not "ready to drive". No icon showed up. But on a short trip today I did see the icon -- a white car with red dashes in front of it. If there is a car fairly close in front then there is another car icon in front of the dashes. On my 2020, the icon is between the cruise control set speed and the estimate of fuel range. The icon currently shows 4 dashes, which is apparently set to the max. distance but I did not notice the car slowing excessively (at least so far). But now I know where to look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts