Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in upstate NY and considering Niro LX. I want to know how well Niro handles in snow. I know it is relatively new car but just want to check out before purchase. My other vehicles are Acura TSX Wagon and Hyundai Elantra. I've had no problem driving with either in snow. And in past driven Honda Odyssey for 10 years, perhaps the best of all three of mine in snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
It should be good with snow tires and AWD turned on. But don't overrate it, cause Niro has little more than six inches of ground clearance and it's not the best for snow-treading. Light snow condition-YES. Huge snow storm-better stay home :) There was an arguing around existence of AWD in Niro. Some people like it, other say it makes car heavier and reduce fuel economy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It should be good with snow tires and AWD turned on. But don't overrate it, cause Niro has little more than six inches of ground clearance and it's not the best for snow-treading. Light snow condition-YES. Huge snow storm-better stay home :) There was an arguing around existence of AWD in Niro. Some people like it, other say it makes car heavier and reduce fuel economy.
There is NO AWD on ANY Niro. There IS ESC/electronic stability control, but NO AWD. Apparently a lot of people have an issue with this. Honestly, being a life long front wheel drive driver, SNOW TIRES YES!!!! and all is fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in upstate NY and considering Niro LX. I want to know how well Niro handles in snow. I know it is relatively new car but just want to check out before purchase. My other vehicles are Acura TSX Wagon and Hyundai Elantra. I've had no problem driving with either in snow. And in past driven Honda Odyssey for 10 years, perhaps the best of all three of mine in snow.
Tough question to answer as the Niro hasn't been out during much of a snow fall season anywhere but I just put on 4 snow tires on our new Niro EX 3 days ago. I have always had front wheel drive, and 4 snow tires, never had a problem. I'm in Plattsburgh upstate ny, where are you? someone just said "turn on the AWD", if you're car shopping you've probably already discovered that NO Niro anywhere has AWD............... I think you should be fine though, since we are in the same state, we both know that the last few winters have been extremely mild, and we ask ourselves, when is the next 3 ft blizzard lol. Jeez! remember 2 years ago? Here i Plattsburgh it was 74 on Christmas eve! Also, since the Niro has a "sport mode" and can drive like a manual/standard "stick shift" ,,,,, in snow, especially going up hill from a stop, AND snow tires, doing manual upshifting will move you right along as if you were driving a stick shift/standard, which I always did prior to this Niro, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is NO AWD on ANY Niro. There IS ESC/electronic stability control, but NO AWD. Apparently a lot of people have an issue with this. Honestly, being a life long front wheel drive driver, SNOW TIRES YES!!!! and all is fine.
Hah, my bad! Seems like I've been using a wrong sources to do my research, about this vehicle. Anyways, thanks for correction!

·
Registered
291 Posts
To be honest a lot of how a car handles in winter conditions has to do with tires. I have driven everything from RWD sport coupes to large AWD SUV's and at the end of the day, tires are what matter. Everything else are small influences. On that note maybe we should get a thread going on winter tires?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's all in the tires. can't recall where I saw it, but there was a comparison between a front wheel drive car and awd, the former had an nice set of winter tires and handled the snow fine, the latter had all season tires and slid around.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No snow yet in Ottawa Canada, hopefully none for a few more weeks, but just put a set of Bridgestone Blizzacks on this week. In our November, I am more concerned about black ice before the snow. Will report back once we get the white stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts